E-Juice Calculator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
Anyone familiar with the program made by JuiceMeUp described here: eJuice Calculator - HOW TO?

My question has to be with when you are using an alcohol based flavorant. How do you describe the Base since this e-juice calculator only allows you to describe the base in terms of PG & VG? Would you set it to ZERO by checking the boxes. I am guessing you would since this function is to adjust overall PG & VG in the mix BUT doesn't the alcohol add volume to the mixture, and thus lower the concentration of all the other stuff if it is not accounted for??? So...how do you use this program for alcohol based flavors like the new VapingZone concentrated flavors?

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
But if the volume of the base (in this case, alcohol) is not accounted for then all the other volumes will be too diluted, and that's the result I am getting. I am up to 10% (see attached) and can barely taste the flavor :( 0_ 2012-04-15 at 12.57.42 .jpg .

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
Sorry...I dont know why the attachment is showing so tiny...maybe close up snaps will show better:
0_ 2012-04-15 at 13.16.30 .jpg

But if the volume of the base (in this case, alcohol) is not accounted for then all the other volumes will be too diluted, and that's the result I am getting. I am up to 10% (see attached) and can barely taste the flavor :( View attachment 92166 .

Last edited:

MikeK0416

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Mount Dora FL
I use about 25% for caramel. I noticed you have 40% of your entire mix as one of the flavorings and even with alc, it does not PG/VG as a carrier, like vaping 50% water or vodka. Also, I have to steep my caramel mixes for a few days. It starts off almost clear and darkens within a couple of days then the flavor is stronger as well.

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
Are you using vaping Zone's new "super concentrated" caramel? They claim that 2.5% is recommended. I take that to mean that 2.5% of the total volume of resulting e-juice should be the flavoring...correct?

So if I have it now at 10% and I have another 40% of another flavor (ahhhh....I see a mistake I made, the other flavor IS PG based), well, even with this error, I should still taste the caramel in a big way, but I get nothing.

I really think the alcohol volume needs to be expressed in the calculations somehow. Do you happen to know what the concentration of flavoring to base (alcohol) is? I can't find it on their site.

Last edited:

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
Looking at the pic it looks as if your adding 50%of pure flavour and that can't be right it would be blowing your head off, the alcohol base of your flavourings doesn't matter, the calc only needs to know if they are vg or pg to keep your original 70/30 mix, if you leave them blank it will keep your juice/base mix at 70/30 but calculate your nic to 14mg with flavour added. If you set it to produce 3ml and the end result is 3ml then you haven't watered anything down, the alcohol in your flavourings will just make the end juice thinner in consistency not potency.

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
Forgot to add as has been said by others, juices need to steep to bring out the flavour. Oh and one last thing, you've got the calc set to 20 drops per ml, are you mixing by drops and if so have you checked that's what your equip is giving you, some pipettes can go as high as 40 drops per ml. So if your measuring the bigger amounts in a syringe and the smaller by drops you might not be adding as much as you think you are.

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
39 drops of pg/vg and 40 drops of flavoring does not make sense to me. Try the recipe as they recommend, shake well and sample, keeping in mind it will need to steep.

I use a 1ml syringe, not drops so I never bothered to set the "ml=drops" conversion setting. I dunno; something is out of whack LOL. I think I was getting better results when I mistakenly had the flavor settings at 100PG. I think I'll dump my sample and start from scratch...thanks for your input :)

Kay1959

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2012
Out in the middle of Nowhere
I can't read what calculator you are using, so I'll give you a link to the one I use.
E-Liquid Recipe Mixing Calculator
This one has the ability to add alcohol to the mixture. I don't use alcohol to my mixes, but I would think the amount you
would add would be fairly small. I know the flavoring contents I use I set the flavor #1 at 15%, and flavor #2 at 5%, for a total
of 20% flavoring. Yes, that's for the overall total bottle value BTW. I would suggest setting your alcohol % at about 5% to start out with and see how that does for you, if you need to add more you can always add alittle more. And let it steep for a day or two. Try making only about 3 mls to start with until you find the right combo for you. That way you aren't wasting too much of anything. Hope this helps.

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
Looking at the pic it looks as if your adding 50%of pure flavour and that can't be right it would be blowing your head off, the alcohol base of your flavourings doesn't matter, the calc only needs to know if they are vg or pg to keep your original 70/30 mix, if you leave them blank it will keep your juice/base mix at 70/30 but calculate your nic to 14mg with flavour added. If you set it to produce 3ml and the end result is 3ml then you haven't watered anything down, the alcohol in your flavourings will just make the end juice thinner in consistency not potency.

See, that's the thing...at 50% flavoring which is of course absurd, I taste nothing at all! I must have made some really bone-headed mistake that has nothing to do with the particular setting since whether or not you check it as "no flavor PG only changes the amounts of PG & VG to add in a very small way anyway.

Maybe the two flavors I added are cancelling each other out. I'm just going to mix the Caramel and do it precisely and see what happens. It's all kind of fun playing the mad scientist in the kitchen anyway :)

Thanks for your input :) BTW, are you using those Vaping Zone new super concentrated flavors? If so, what do you think of them?

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
OK, I'm new at all this and I made some kind of measuring mistake or perhaps the combination of flavors I used cancelled each other out?? Just FYI, Hoosier, I did not start at 50% flavoring; I started at 2.5% which is what is recommended for this "super concentrated" Vaping Zone Caramel flavor. I was very careful mixing this time and used 10%, after first making it at 2.5%. At 2.5% I tasted nothing at all. At 10% I can taste it but it sure doesn't taste very much like caramel to me. Has anyone else tried this flavor in the VAPING ZONE SUPER CONCENTRATED version?

How important is steeping with this particular vendor & flavor...anyone know??

sturner6

Feb 26, 2012
here
If you add too much flavoring, it will taste like nothing. Keep your flavoring at around 15-20% of your total.

Hi Kay, Thanks for the input. This particular flavor is a new "super-concentrated" from Vaping Zone. It is supposed to be good to go at 2.5% (decimal point intended!). I tried it at that, then 10%, then 20%, then added a second flavor, and as a hail-mary play before started all over, bumped it to 50%. I must have made a real dumb error with measuring or something the first time around because now that I have started over, at 10% it is OK but not exactly tasting very good. In fact, no flavor at all really, just sort of mildly sweet.

I also got cherry from them. I dont like it but when mixed I can sure taste it, so I'm confused about the Caramel.

So, what is it that Hoosier has that I should read...do you have a link? He didnt include one...I'm not sure what ou are oth referring to??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread