E-Juice Liquids - What Percentages to Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@RaisedFist, while you are waiting to place your order.... here are a few other good sites for reference and flavor reviews:

Reddit flavor concentrate reviews index (this is a great list of the more thorough/thoughtful concentrate reviews found on Redit)
ConcreteRiver flavor reviews index (many of these can also be found in the Reddit reviews, but not all. Also includes many with both written AND video reviews.)

If you are more of a video watcher:
Noted (part of DIYorDie, on youtube)
Noted #55 (specific episode devoted to liquor/booze concentrates)
thefogvlog (another YouTube channel with good concentrate reviews, and more "famous"/prolific DIY recipe creator reviews)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm a very very impatient steeper - and generally mix with flavours that don't need a long steep time. For me, a long steep time is a week ;)

The reddit resources posted above give you your best guidelines. And go by the recipe you are using. If they don't have a steep time, ask the author in the comments section.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    I saw a very interesting method od quickie steeping on a site where you fill up a container with rice and you nuke it in the microwave, then when it's at a decent temperature, not blaring, but comfortable, then you stick your juice bottle in that till it's all covered and you leave it there till the rice is dissipated of all heat, then you do that a few times and you're pretty much golden...
    As far as the quick heating steeping methods out there, this one sounds to me like the best and most scientifically sound, what are your guys thoughts? :pop:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    It's not scientific if you don't know the actual temperature, and of course nicotine and flavorings degrade with too much heat so you would want to find out exactly at what point that happens.
    Not a bad idea, just saying.
    I used to quick steep a bottle by sitting it next to my coffee cup..... Then I gave up.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    It's not scientific if you don't know the actual temperature, and of course nicotine and flavorings degrade with too much heat so you would want to find out exactly at what point that happens.
    Not a bad idea, just saying.
    I used to quick steep a bottle by sitting it next to my coffee cup..... Then I gave up.
    Yeah, of course I'm not going to ramp it up to warp speed, just a gentle heat like 30-40 degrees I'm thinking, and you're totally right, temperature must be known! I think I should invest in one of those kitchen thermometers they use to check if chicken and turkey breasts are done, because that would work beautifully!
    :glug:

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    Here is another great read:
    DIY Myth-busting
    If you take the time to read it; it can save a lot of frustration, and making some mediocre to poor creations... by learning from the mistakes of others.
    As a man with no impulse control or self control, that makes me sad :cry:
    I thought that I was going to plonk my little juice bottle into a container with hot rice a couple of times and, HEY PRESTO, yummy perfectly steeped juice!
    Dagnabit!:sneaky:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    It's more fun anticipating a really good juice, anyway......
    Once you really get going, you'll have more juice steeped than you can vape.
    One way to do it is find some flavors that are fine with little to no steep, and vape those while you are waiting on others to mature.
    I wait for liquid a lot less than I used to. But a good custard steeped 3 months can't be beat.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    One way to do it is find some flavors that are fine with little to no steep, and vape those while you are waiting on others to mature.
    I wait for liquid a lot less than I used to. But a good custard steeped 3 months can't be beat.
    Haha, I have no doubt that I'll get into it in a heavy manor, I ordered 5 liters of VG & PG, so I'll be going for a while :thumbs:
    So I will just get my favourites up to par, then do some experimenting, those can steep I suppose, but again, I'm a very impatient man, and I love LOVE custard, I could NEVER wait 3 months to dive into one, and I ordered 3 different ones!!:?:

n00bVape

Jul 19, 2019
    Netherlands, the
    Haha, I have no doubt that I'll get into it in a heavy manor, I ordered 5 liters of VG & PG, so I'll be going for a while :thumbs:
    So I will just get my favourites up to par, then do some experimenting, those can steep I suppose, but again, I'm a very impatient man, and I love LOVE custard, I could NEVER wait 3 months to dive into one, and I ordered 3 different ones!!:?:

First off, have fun with it! Personally, the joy comes from getting new stuff (be it liquids, tanks or a new coil). The hard part is to be patient haha!
    I don't use liquids that need to steep for a long time, but I have experienced the taste improving over time.
    The challenge is to wait, especially with those flavours that need time to get to full potential. If you try them too soon, you might be disappointed and change your recipe. Which in turn might create another problem lol
    Anyway, just enjoy the experience of mixing and vaping, but keep in mind that time is your friend and you can only spend a dollar once ;-)

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    First off, have fun with it! Personally, the joy comes from getting new stuff (be it liquids, tanks or a new coil). The hard part is to be patient haha!
    I don't use liquids that need to steep for a long time, but I have experienced the taste improving over time.
    The challenge is to wait, especially with those flavours that need time to get to full potential. If you try them too soon, you might be disappointed and change your recipe. Which in turn might create another problem lol
    Anyway, just enjoy the experience of mixing and vaping, but keep in mind that time is your friend and you can only spend a dollar once ;-)
    Wise words good Sir, once it's gone, it's gone. I ordered a good bunch of juices, ones that will work well with each other in various different ways.
    (I was a chef for most of my proffesional life, so I looked at ordering them through chef goggles)
    :w00t:
    I will make a few that need no steeping, some fruit flavours to keep me sedated I think, and then some good old heavy desserty flavours that I can leave in the dark under my sink to steep away. :evil:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2015
    Toledo, Ohio
    There is one custard that doesn't need much steep, Inawera I think but not quite sure.
    I did not care for it much though, Inawera does a buttery thing that comes off popcorny to me, same with Yes We Cheesecake. Interesting, but not my go to. Capella Custard is what I generally use lately.

And to add, two weeks does a custard nicely compared to one day. But they do continue to deepen and evolve.
    There's something to be said for not oversteeping some things too. You may find you like a certain flavor when it is 2 to 6 weeks old while vaping it, but then it's not so great, too dark or sweet, or flavors fade.

Reactions: IDJoel

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    There is one custard that doesn't need much steep, Inawera I think but not quite sure.
    I did not care for it much though, Inawera does a buttery thing that comes off popcorny to me, same with Yes We Cheesecake. Interesting, but not my go to. Capella Custard is what I generally use lately.

And to add, two weeks does a custard nicely compared to one day. But they do continue to deepen and evolve.
    There's something to be said for not oversteeping some things too. You may find you like a certain flavor when it is 2 to 6 weeks old while vaping it, but then it's not so great, too dark or sweet, or flavors fade.
    Yeah, even though I worship at the alter of instant reatification, I always choose quality and singularity of taste, not polluted with hints of other notes.
    A flavor must be a flavor, in it's purest essense. I always hate when I buy an juice and I can pick out different flavors that aren't supposed to be there :nah:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

I was just going to say, when you first start, try a no steep along with the mid and long steepers.

The plus if ling steepers is they tend to hold up a longer time.

Fruits are pretty much shake n vape, but they tend to fade quickly too.

I’ve never heard of a custard fading though. And you’ll soon find how much you need for three months if vaping, so you’ll just mix that much in advance.

Also, if you’re going to try to speed it up, make a bigger batch so there’s some for control. Take a little and test out each speed steeping method, and let one just sit.

And take notes every step of the way.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    You bring up a very valid point, @n00bVape.

I am a strong advocate for vaping new/unfamiliar mixes early and often. Whether it is a single flavor concentrate mix, or a complex recipe; I believe, the best way to understand how that mix develops, is to do frequent test vaping. There is no harm that can come from vaping "too early," other than the momentary displeasure of a less than stellar vape. If one is willing to accept the risk of this possibility... go for it!:thumbs:

The part that is often unknown, forgotten, or ignored; is, don't make changes, based on these early results. At least... not yet. DO write down your observations, perceptions, and thoughts about possible changes you might want to apply... if things remain unchanged. But, refrain from applying them yet.

Repeat the test vaping, and note writing, until you are certain the mix is no longer changing. I (personally) won't pronounce a mix "done" for at least a month or two.

If you really can't help making adjustments early... do so, by making a separate batch with the desired changes, and allow the original mix to continue to age unmolested. This will also permit side-by-side comparison.

Why is this important? Because there are exceptions to every rule, and we all taste things differently... our palates are unique. Here are just a few of the exceptions that I have learned through my own testing:
    Rule: "All custards require at least a month."
    As @uthinkofsomething has already mentioned; Inawera (INW) Custard is a satisfying vape after only 3 days, and reaches full development in only about a week/week and a half. Yes, it is not as "thick" or "eggy," as say Capella (CAP) Vanilla Custard. But, that is a matter of ingredient selection, and not steep time.

Rule: "All fruits are 'shake & vape.'"
    While this may be in large part true (maybe 2-3 days to fully bloom); I have learned (thanks to other DIYers like @Letitia), that many orange concentrates benefit from as much as 2 months, to really show all they have to offer.

Rule: "All tobaccos requite at least a month."
    Because of early test vaping, I found one of my own long standing ADVs (all day vapes). I discovered, that I like a single flavor mix of INW Am4a (a tobacco concentrate designed to mimic Amphora pipe tobacco; after only 3 days rest, and no older than 2 weeks. For me; it does need a couple of days to mellow just a bit, but after two weeks it loses too many of the aromatic notes and is much less interesting. Again, frequent test vaping was the key, and I learned not to make more than I can vape in a couple of weeks.

These are just a few examples, that I have learned, apply for me. Others may have entirely different experiences. My point is; without trying, I never would have learned.
    :D

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    You bring up a very valid point, @n00bVape.

I am a strong advocate for vaping new/unfamiliar mixes early and often. Whether it is a single flavor concentrate mix, or a complex recipe; I believe, the best way to understand how that mix develops, is to do frequent test vaping. There is no harm that can come from vaping "too early," other than the momentary displeasure of a less than stellar vape. If one is willing to accept the risk of this possibility... go for it!:thumbs:

The part that is often unknown, forgotten, or ignored; is, don't make changes, based on these early results. At least... not yet. DO write down your observations, perceptions, and thoughts about possible changes you might want to apply... if things remain unchanged. But, refrain from applying them yet.

Repeat the test vaping, and note writing, until you are certain the mix is no longer changing. I (personally) won't pronounce a mix "done" for at least a month or two.

If you really can't help making adjustments early... do so, by making a separate batch with the desired changes, and allow the original mix to continue to age unmolested. This will also permit side-by-side comparison.

Why is this important? Because there are exceptions to every rule, and we all taste things differently... our palates are unique. Here are just a few of the exceptions that I have learned through my own testing:
    Rule: "All custards require at least a month."
    As @uthinkofsomething has already mentioned; Inawera (INW) Custard is a satisfying vape after only 3 days, and reaches full development in only about a week/week and a half. Yes, it is not as "thick" or "eggy," as say Capella (CAP) Vanilla Custard. But, that is a matter of ingredient selection, and not steep time.

Rule: "All fruits are 'shake & vape.'"
    While this may be in large part true (maybe 2-3 days to fully bloom); I have learned (thanks to other DIYers like @Letitia), that many orange concentrates benefit from as much as 2 months, to really show all they have to offer.

Rule: "All tobaccos requite at least a month."
    Because of early test vaping, I found one of my own long standing ADVs (all day vapes). I discovered, that I like a single flavor mix of INW Am4a (a tobacco concentrate designed to mimic Amphora pipe tobacco; after only 3 days rest, and no older than 2 weeks. For me; it does need a couple of days to mellow just a bit, but after two weeks it loses too many of the aromatic notes and is much less interesting. Again, frequent test vaping was the key, and I learned not to make more than I can vape in a couple of weeks.

These are just a few examples, that I have learned, apply for me. Others may have entirely different experiences. My point is; without trying, I never would have learned.
    :D
    Yeah, I make my own coils and PC's and servers, so I'm a tinkerer by nature, so I will be experimenting a lot, tweaking and playing with flavors. I ordered 25 10ml bottles, so I reckon if I make batches of 5ml in them, I can spread my concentrates out quite a bit :headbang:
    Thanks for the rules, I really appreciate it, I'm a bit of an information junkie, which is why I'm here gathering all this intel and I haven't even got the suff delivered yet! :lol:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    As a man with no impulse control or self control, that makes me sad :cry:
    I thought that I was going to plonk my little juice bottle into a container with hot rice a couple of times and, HEY PRESTO, yummy perfectly steeped juice!
    Dagnabit!:sneaky:

I'm exactly the same ;) - while I don't speed steep, I do however make two 30ml batches of the same new mix, if I know it s going to need a few weeks steeping time.

One gets hidden away, the other gets 'steeped' and vaped in my RTA. It allows me to make notes on how the mix changes every few days - and it allows me to vape it whenever I want ;)

Reactions: IDJoel

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    I'm exactly the same ;) - while I don't speed steep, I do however make two 30ml batches of the same new mix, if I know it s going to need a few weeks steeping time.

One gets hidden away, the other gets 'steeped' and vaped in my RTA. It allows me to make notes on how the mix changes every few days - and it allows me to vape it whenever I want ;)
    Ah, very wise and sneaky, I like it! I might do that myself :thumb:
    I'm making my payment in the next couple of hours, paying extra for courier door-to-door overnight delivery, because I can't :censored: WAIT!!!
    Did I meantion I have instant gratification issues? :lol::lol::lol:

• Winner
    Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Ah, very wise and sneaky, I like it! I might do that myself :thumb:
    I'm making my payment in the next couple of hours, paying extra for courier door-to-door overnight delivery, because I can't :censored: WAIT!!!
    Did I meantion I have instant gratification issues? :lol::lol::lol:

I think that is a common vaping curse, along with shinyitis, severe lack of patience for steeping, and vapemail that doesn't arrive 5 minutes after you order it :thumb:

Or maybe it's just me ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread