Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I meant to create a blog on this site. Do you see the B near my avatar, In front of my name? If you click that B it will take you to my blog.. You can create one as well..

I had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA that was what the “B” was near peoples avatar. It never even crossed my mind to even press it. Thanks for sharing that info!!

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I've visited your page recently while tooling around. Nice reference.

When I learned to do DIY I was taught by a buddy and his wife. They had notebooks of info. They would let me look here and there but imperatively told me I needed to make my own notes which would make sense to me. They helped me to truly get into DIY. Take many notes the more detailed the better.

They also taught me the value of single flavor testing (SFT) where you truly get to know and learn all your flavors in-depth. Testing a flavor at different %'s to see where you personally like a flavor and how far you can push it until that point where tastes like garbage and all points between. Make detailed notes as they will help you to develop recipes for yourself. Have you done any SFT with your flavors?

I am new to DIY and just started my SFTs. I made the mistake of starting my first batches at 6% but luckily it was only about 10 different flavors. In terms of being a newbie in all this, what would be a good starting percentage to start from? I am beginning to understand that different flavor vendors have different strengths in regard to particular flavors. Would 3% be okay to start at across the board, or should I perhaps go lower?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I am new to DIY and just started my SFTs. I made the mistake of starting my first batches at 6% but luckily it was only about 10 different flavors. In terms of being a newbie in all this, what would be a good starting percentage to start from? I am beginning to understand that different flavor vendors have different strengths in regard to particular flavors. Would 3% be okay to start at across the board, or should I perhaps go lower?

I think you are doing great! :)

With each flavor I'll take 5-6 10ml bottles and I always start real low and go up.
Say 1%, 3%, 6% on up (which way I test depends on what company as some I just do in drops).

And like you said flavors from different vendors vary in strength (even within their own lines). TFA vs CAP vs FW vs FA vs INW vs FLV (and all the others).

With the Flavorah flavors I do those in drops just because their flavors are ultra concentrated (super strong) ---> again I'll take 5-6 10ml bottles: #1 = 1 drop; #2 = 3 drops all the way to bottle #5. I do similar with INW and FA.

I just like to start as low as possible so I know what a flavor is like and then I take each flavor to the "tipping" point or where it no longer tastes like what is supposed to. I make detailed notes at each level of a flavor cause those notes come in handy when developing a recipe. Also I never use nic when I test flavors - just base + flavor.

When SFT I only do one flavor at a time and usually just one a day. I've found that works best for me. YMMV

I switch to vaping unflavored a day before SFT just to "clear out" my taste buds. Again, just works best for me.

I would say through trial and error figure out what process works best for you cause in the end it's you who matters the most! ;)
You are already well on your way!!!

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I think you are doing great! :)

With each flavor I'll take 5-6 10ml bottles and I always start real low and go up.
Say 1%, 3%, 6% on up (which way I test depends on what company as some I just do in drops).

And like you said flavors from different vendors vary in strength (even within their own lines). TFA vs CAP vs FW vs FA vs INW vs FLV (and all the others).

With the Flavorah flavors I do those in drops just because their flavors are ultra concentrated (super strong) ---> again I'll take 5-6 10ml bottles: #1 = 1 drop; #2 = 3 drops all the way to bottle #5. I do similar with INW and FA.

I just like to start as low as possible so I know what a flavor is like and then I take each flavor to the "tipping" point or where it no longer tastes like what is supposed to. I make detailed notes at each level of a flavor cause those notes come in handy when developing a recipe. Also I never use nic when I test flavors - just base + flavor.

When SFT I only do one flavor at a time and usually just one a day. I've found that works best for me. YMMV

I switch to vaping unflavored a day before SFT just to "clear out" my taste buds. Again, just works best for me.

I would say through trial and error figure out what process works best for you cause in the end it's you who matters the most! ;)
You are already well on your way!!!

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply!! When you do your sfts without the nicotine does this speed up the steeping time at all?

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Awesome, thanks so much for the reply!! When you do your sfts without the nicotine does this speed up the steeping time at all?

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help. :)

Minus nic does not speed up steeping time.

Some things can be tested in a couple days (like some fruits by some companies) and others I just let sit for 2-3-4 weeks. For bakery stuff, vanillas, creams I let sit 3-4 weeks shaking the bottles everyday (I know folks who don't wait that long). All depends on company too.

I maintain a notebook of what I whip up to test with the date, the flavor and % (or drops) and go from there. I also label each 10ml bottle to correspond. Ex: "5/13/19, Vanilla Bourbon FA, 1%" into the notebook and I label the bottle like "VB051319-1%" and I do that for each of the 5-6 bottles of that flavor (an entry for each bottle). I hope that makes sense.o_O

If you ever make flavorless (VG/PG/nic) you don't need to steep that either IMO. It's really just the flavors. And obviously any recipe you make so that all the flavor molecules "gel" together into their final yummy taste.

Sorry for the winded reply!

I just had a thought that may help other folks looking to get into DIY. The whole subject of SFT would probably be a nice thread to start, and have, in the DIY sub for the whole community to offer their expertise. There may be one IDK.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Skeebo - I don't know if you know this but @Marc411 created and maintains a very thorough PDF file with much DIY info, links to topics on ECF and to vendors. I'm going to try and paste the link to the posting with his most recent PDF. Here: DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

I think you will find that PDF very helpful as you delve deeper into DIY. If you have more questions just let me know and I'll do my best to help. Cheers bud!

• Winner
Reactions: Skeebo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread