E-Juice Strength & Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProV Erawk

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Hello

I currently smoke about 30 analogs a day at 0.6mg of nic per cig. So my daily nicotine intake is 18mg.
I've read that the e-juice mg rating is per ml of liquid. Is that correct?

I purchased a bunch of 18mg liquid based on that calculation but I'm thinking I will vape more than 1 ml per day. I don't want to increase my nic addiction as my goal is to slowly work down.

What are your experiences with juice consumption vs what you smoked in analogs?

Is there anything I could mix with the juices to bring down the nic without affecting flavor?

thank you in advance for any input.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I agree with the other posters. Don't sweat it at first. At 1-1/2 PAD, 18mg is the right level to start. Expect to use about 3ml a day. If you use more, don't fret. The absorption rate is lower for new vapers, sometimes as low as 30%, depending on your technique and equpment. Your body will self-regulate.

The important thing is to find a juice you like and vape enough to get through any analog cravings. I that means you consume 5ml of 18mg per day, that's o.k. It's easier to reduce your nic level than to shake those last couple analogs.

When you decide it's safe to start tapering down, you can cut your juice. You'll lose a lot of flavor if you try to cut with straight PG or VG. At least one juice vendor (Tasty Vapor) sells 0 nic "doublers" for about 1/2 the price of a nicotine juice. Other vendors sell 0 nic versions of their juice that you can use to dilute what you have without losing flavors. They're usually the same price as the nic. containing versions though.

Last edited:

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
well nicotine is definitely less dangerous but its still bad for you. So just start off with the 18mg and cut back when you feel your ready and you'll be fine. Happy vaping and good luck!!

What's the "bad for you"?

I use 24mg (coffee flavor) 'first morning' and when I crave, and 18, 12, 6 whatever during the day, tapering of during the day. I use 0 nic 70/30 to reduce a small amount and I lose some flavor, but subtle flavor is good too. Doublers are great if the price is reasonable.

JMO. YMMV

Pur3Rush

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Southern California
i wouldnt worry about tapering down. I also recommend getting a strength just higher than what you normally vape. If you have a craving and just want to knock it out, a few hits of higher strength nic will help you out. Everyone has their own system, and way of doing it. Just do whatever works to keep you off the stinkys.

John D in CT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Connecticut
Hello

Is there anything I could mix with the juices to bring down the nic without affecting flavor?

Tasty Vapors has what they call "Doublers", which are zero-nicotine e-liquids, any percentage of PG/VG you want, available in all the same flavors as their nicotine juices, that cost 1/4 as much. Using Doublers, I just order 1 oz. (30 ml) bottles of whatever flavors I want, and in the 48 mg strength. Their nicotine juices all all the same price - about $16/oz. - regardless of the nicotine level (from 12 to 48 mg) - so this is a no-brainer. You can then reduce the nicotine level to whatever you want, using the identical flavor of zero nicotine juice, so the flavor is not diminished.

i don't know if other vendors offer Doublers, but they should. Plenty of vendors will sell you zero-nicotine flavored juice, but at the same price as the nicotine juice, which makes little sense, economic or otherwise.

As for your calculations, I believe that much less nicotine is absorbed per puff with vaping than with smoking, so you can't just multiply 30 cigs x .6 mg nicotine per cig = 1 ml of 18 mg juice. I think you'd have to vape 3-4 times that to get the same amount of nicotine into your system.

I think it might have to do with the absence of WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids) from most juices. And interestingly, nicotine by itself is not nearly as addictive as nicotine ingested along with MAOI's (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) that are present in cigarette smoke. I suspect that MAOI's might be present in WTA's, and that a nicotine juice containing WTA's might deliver more nicotine to your system than the same juice without them, but I'm still working on nailing that down.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
What are your experiences with juice consumption vs what you smoked in analogs?

I was a 4 PAD smoker so chain vaping comes natural to me. I vape 6-7mls a day at 18mg. When I first started, I used 36mg...2 months later dropped to 24mg...2-3 months later, dropped to 18mg and have been here for over a year. When all of my 18mg stuff is gone, I have 12mg steeping in my closet just waiting on me.

You will need to go back to the vendor that you bought from and buy the same flavors in 0mg. Mix it with the higher to reach your desired level of nic.

pizgizmolcle

Verified Member
Feb 28, 2012
California
I have a question for any and all you math people out there. I have been vaping since dec 19, 2011. I have cut down to 6mg juice but I think that is too low too fast as I seem to be getting mega cravings right now. I have been researching diy ejuice and have ordered flavors and 60mg nic juice. Now here's my question.

how many drops of that nic juice should I add to 5ml of 6mg eliquid to get it up to 12mg. the same for 10ml, 30ml and 50ml?

Thanks in advance for any help!

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I have a question for any and all you math people out there. I have been vaping since dec 19, 2011. I have cut down to 6mg juice but I think that is too low too fast as I seem to be getting mega cravings right now. I have been researching diy ejuice and have ordered flavors and 60mg nic juice. Now here's my question.

how many drops of that nic juice should I add to 5ml of 6mg eliquid to get it up to 12mg. the same for 10ml, 30ml and 50ml?

I can't advise what you should do, but I can tell you what I would do.

I would keep the 6mg for when I don't need the excess nic.

I would mix a new batch to 12mg (or whatever strength) using a juice calculator.

My reasoning is:

DROPS ARE A ROUGH MEASURE - AND D*M*N ROUGH, AT THAT!

I always measure. (also, 5ml is too small to be working with 60mg, a small error has huge proportions at that scale.)

My math is not always 101%.

Be Safe, understand , get help if needed.

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
In my opinion, it is not a good idea at all to work with drops of nic liq to change nicotine levels of juices. As XP3 says it is always best to measure. You should be able to get a syringe (depending on the Las Vegas laws), from a local pharmacy or veterinarian. Also, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you, they usually carry syringes that will allow you to measure.

As a follow up, if you still can't find a syringe, one can use an oral, needle-less liquid dose measurer (used to give liquids medications orally to children, at almost any drug store. Be certain, be safe, and be careful - while 60 mg/ml spilled on yourself "may" only make you lightheaded, dizzy, or give you heart palpitations, any accidental spills, drips or drops, which may not be notice and cleaned up appropriately, can be very serious to children, pets, or non-nic adults that may touch/step on it.

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
I often use the medicine droppers so in big letters I wrote all over it with a sharpie "NOT FOR KIDS" to prevent it being mixed up and used for dosing medicine. I also put a piece of red electrical tape on the side with no numbers to make it easy to identify, wash it thoroughly with pure grain alcohol when I am done, and keep it locked with my 100mg nic

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011

.5 ml of 60 mg added to 5ml of 6 mg juice will give you about 11 mg juice. How your going to measure .5 ml is hard. 1 ml is about 20 drops. Maybe 5-6 drops.

30 ml of 6 mg juice plus 3 ml of 60 mg juice will give you about 11. Flavor will be pretty much non-existent though because you're diluting it with so much base.

Use proper safety precautions, of course. Read the DIY stickies and when you have 5 posts, post in the DIY section.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/announcements-rules/144783-warning-e-liquid-diy-safety.html
DIY E-Liquid

It's always better to ask a question, than make a mistake. No one here or in the DIY section minds answering questions- that's why we're here.

Mdemon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Trinidad

No. of drops would differ between different droppers so wouldn't be a very reliable measure. When working with higher strength nic juice it pays to be accurate. Invest in a 1ml & 3ml syringe. Find a good ejuice calculator you like and learn to use it. Also, read, Read, READ as much as you can about DIY & mixing BEFORE you start. There's a ton of info on these boards & you really ought to only DIY when you can answer these questions yourself. Have a healthy respect for that Nic & be safe. ;)
If you absolutely NEED to strengthen that juice right now, the correct amounts of 60mg nic to add to 6mg juice to make it 12mg juice (or actually 11.78mg/ml) would be:
0.6ml nic to 5ml juice
1.2ml nic to 10ml juice
3.6ml nic to 30ml juice
6ml nic to 50ml juice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread