Status
Not open for further replies.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Thanks all for the sound advice! Using an ejuice calculator, I figured about 5 drops for my 5ml. I also like the advice I read earlier about getting the same liquid in 0mg. That way I can add if I dilute the flavor too much.

The purpose of flavored 0 nic is to be able to decrease the strength without decreasing the flavor. If you "add if you dilute the flavor too much", then you are decreasing the strength. What you would need there would be concentrated flavoring, which would still decrease the strength a bit. One thing won't stay still while you adjust something else.

And don't forget about your PG/VG ratio during all this.

Wouldn't it be easier to make a new bottle with the strength and flavor that you wanted? ! ?

Keep it simple.

ProV Erawk

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Tasty Vapors has what they call "Doublers", which are zero-nicotine e-liquids, any percentage of PG/VG you want, available in all the same flavors as their nicotine juices, that cost 1/4 as much. Using Doublers, I just order 1 oz. (30 ml) bottles of whatever flavors I want, and in the 48 mg strength. Their nicotine juices all all the same price - about $16/oz. - regardless of the nicotine level (from 12 to 48 mg) - so this is a no-brainer. You can then reduce the nicotine level to whatever you want, using the identical flavor of zero nicotine juice, so the flavor is not diminished.

i don't know if other vendors offer Doublers, but they should. Plenty of vendors will sell you zero-nicotine flavored juice, but at the same price as the nicotine juice, which makes little sense, economic or otherwise.

As for your calculations, I believe that much less nicotine is absorbed per puff with vaping than with smoking, so you can't just multiply 30 cigs x .6 mg nicotine per cig = 1 ml of 18 mg juice. I think you'd have to vape 3-4 times that to get the same amount of nicotine into your system.

I think it might have to do with the absence of WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloids) from most juices. And interestingly, nicotine by itself is not nearly as addictive as nicotine ingested along with MAOI's (monoamine oxidase inhibitors) that are present in cigarette smoke. I suspect that MAOI's might be present in WTA's, and that a nicotine juice containing WTA's might deliver more nicotine to your system than the same juice without them, but I'm still working on nailing that down.

Thanks John. Very interesting and informative post. I believe you are right on the 3-4x as I'm using 3 or so ml per day.

So far my favorite juices are Blueberry Tobacco and Vanilla Cigar from TW patriot range. They are great mixed too.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
If it helps, most of the research I've found says that the posted strength on smokes is 10% of actual nic per cig. So when I smoked Marlboros (rated 1.2mg) they were actually 12mg/cig, but because of the inefficient absorption they post 1.2 mg nic on the pack (that's the actual intake). Most of what I've been able to find about vaping says they the absorption rate is about 40%, yet the packaging is telling you the actual percentage in the juice (e.g. 1.8% = 18mg/ml).

So, as 1.5 PAD Marlboro smoker is was taking about 36mg nic/day. Vaping 3ml-5ml/day of 18mg juice I'm getting between 19.2mg/day to 36mg/day (e.g. .40*3ml*18mg/ml*1day=19.2mg/day). So for the average day (the 3ml) I'm actually reducing my nic intake.

Note: there's not a lot of conclusive research on this, so don't take it as gospel...

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
From non-scientific experience, some juices taste great when they arrive. Some taste like cough syrup (or worse). If a juice tastes less than stellar (and even some of the ones that taste good), time is your friend. Steeping simply means letting the juice "age" to perfection.

I always taste juice the day I get. If not "cool", I shake them really well and take the caps & dripper tips off the bottle then stick them in a cabinet (dark and cool) overnight. After 24 hrs (give or take, re-dripper/re-cap and try. I f good then in the rotation. If not, either redo the previous steps or just let sit in the cabinet and shake vigorously once a day. Some times steeping can take a day, a week, a month... (I've had juices I gave up on a tried way later and all of a sudden they tasted great.

If they're being really stubborn (you'll get a feel for which ones need a lot of TLC) I use the hot water bath. Simply fill a coffee cup with really hot water (not taller than the juice bottle) and put the open bottle in it till the water cools to room temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread