e-liquid loses its flavour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
Hey all.

I have to post here since I'm a new member -- thread would probably be better off in another section.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten e-liquid that lost its flavour? I picked up 20 ml of "Totally Wicked" strawberry 18mg two weeks ago and when I got to about the halfway point on the bottle it suddenly lost its flavour -- completely.

The liquid itself still has a faint strawberry aroma, but nothing like it did when I first got it. The flavour has disappeared completely now, though. It faded noticeably and suddenly (literally from one topping up to the next).

When I noticed this I considered that the flavouring may have come out of suspension and been located in one layer where I had been sucking it up from. I decided to shake the bottle before topping up and that seemed to bring a bit of flavour back for a day or two but it has gone completely now.

It wasn't very strong to begin with, but this was my first attempt at any flavour beyond "default cartridge" and didn't have anything to compare it to.

The liquid has sat on my desk out of sunlight since I got it. It hasn't had anything unusual happen to it.

Anyone have this happen as well or anyone have any ideas on what might have happened?

Thanks.

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
Johsnon Creek made in US now distributes though -- Good flavors for me have been Tennesse Cured and Vanilla Ice Cream. They also offer NON-Pg made with just vegetable Glycerine and no Alochol so no dry throat. Worth a try in my opinion

Thanks for that.

I did look at the site earlier today and the selection listing looks good. The downside is that there is a lot of liquid that is not in stock.

I've heard a lot about Johnson Creek and thought about trying it. The reports of liquid turning green isn't exactly confidence building, though. Hehe, but neither it liquid that goes tastless halfway through.

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
Dude trust me on this one.....get Janty's strawberry. Some of their flavors are not so hot (almond, oriental, etc.), but I've tried several strawberry's and theirs is really strong and GOOOOOOD. Can't go wrong with that stuff. Oh...pick up a bottle of ry4 while you're at it ;)

Sounds good. I'd seen Janty mentioned before but forgot about it as another possible source. I think they're EU based (Dutch?), so I suppose ordering from the U.K. should be pretty straightforward.

Thanks for that.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
siggy,

I know you mean well, but when you tell a newbie "this is the best and that is the best", you may be setting them up for disappointment.

As you can see from a thousand other posts here, everyone's taste buds are different. What may be the rave for you might be yucky to someone else. Look at what happened about the Cash cola. A hundred people love it....then when others tried it, they found it did nothing for them and some are even looking to sell it.

It's alright to say such and such are great to you, or are your faves, or whatever, but making recommendations the way you do could end up costing a newb a lot of money if they don't share your tastes.

Sample packs are always a good choice....then people can decide for themselves. Otherwise, just like for the rest of us...it's really all trial and error.

Lu

Last edited:

Mufftrix

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
Stoke-On-Trent UK
Hey all.

I have to post here since I'm a new member -- thread would probably be better off in another section.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten e-liquid that lost its flavour? I picked up 20 ml of "Totally Wicked" strawberry 18mg two weeks ago and when I got to about the halfway point on the bottle it suddenly lost its flavour -- completely.

The liquid itself still has a faint strawberry aroma, but nothing like it did when I first got it. The flavour has disappeared completely now, though. It faded noticeably and suddenly (literally from one topping up to the next).

When I noticed this I considered that the flavouring may have come out of suspension and been located in one layer where I had been sucking it up from. I decided to shake the bottle before topping up and that seemed to bring a bit of flavour back for a day or two but it has gone completely now.

It wasn't very strong to begin with, but this was my first attempt at any flavour beyond "default cartridge" and didn't have anything to compare it to.

The liquid has sat on my desk out of sunlight since I got it. It hasn't had anything unusual happen to it.

Anyone have this happen as well or anyone have any ideas on what might have happened?

Thanks.

Hi Heed
Have you let Jason know at Totally Wicked? am sure he will sort it out for you! I`ve always found them to be really good!

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
Hi Heed
Have you let Jason know at Totally Wicked? am sure he will sort it out for you! I`ve always found them to be really good!

Hi there,

No I haven't. I first wanted to check to see if this was a known issue with the liquid or a known issue with certain supplier's liquid.

So far, it seems that this is unique to me.

I'll see about getting some supplier feedback.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For the post above talking about being cautious with recommendations, I don't think the poster went overboard. My basic issue is lack of flavour and he said the Janty strawberry he found to have a really nice strong flavour.

I take most recommendations as "this is what I've found to be the case" type deals. I decided to try Totally Wicked because of the poll in the liquid forum -- that's a wider consensus than one or two people and it still turned out poorly for me. So, I think it's wise for everyone to take these types of recommendations as guidelines, at best.

However, I appreciate that some people might take these recommendations as "hard and fast", so the tone of caution is appreciated and probably wise.

Thanks.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This is the first I've read of flavor possibly coming out of suspension, Heed, but it's certainly a possibility. Thanks for alerting us. My own problem has been weak flavors, almost DOA from the start. Wimp flavors, I call them. Coffee is my chief complaint. In the e-liquids I've tried, it's not even Sanka!

If you ever get into making your own, as I've done many times, you'll observe that the contents don't freely mix. Poured separately, they look like a layered cake. So I have had to "shake" the bottle, rocking it back and forth until mixing occurs. I use commercial e-liquid (for its known nicotine content), Bickford PG-based flavoring, vegetable glycerine and Kahlua liquor (to thin and add taste).

It seems possible to me that a flavor ingredient could come out of suspension and require remixing by shaking. And if the flavor is alcohol-based to begin with, maybe it weakens with each exposure to air. Interesting problem and I'll be interested in anyone else who had a similar experience -- and how they handled it.

K-Sound Krew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Worcester
Are you dripping?

I find if I re-use a cart too many times the flavor gets muddy
If I top off and it tastes funky I usually toss the cart and start on a new one or try washing it out if I'm low on spares, but the liquid is fine

I too had this thought once on my work e-cig but I took the bottle home and used it on my house ecig and it was fine, then I brought my work e-cig home boiled the atomiser and used a fresh cart; problem solved

I think the flavour is so subtle that it can get overwhelmed with old funky buildup

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
Are you dripping?

I find if I re-use a cart too many times the flavor gets muddy
If I top off and it tastes funky I usually toss the cart and start on a new one or try washing it out if I'm low on spares, but the liquid is fine

I too had this thought once on my work e-cig but I took the bottle home and used it on my house ecig and it was fine, then I brought my work e-cig home boiled the atomiser and used a fresh cart; problem solved

I think the flavour is so subtle that it can get overwhelmed with old funky buildup

I use carts. I have tried dripping a couple of times, but I'd rather not risk a flood. I actually tried dripping when I noticed the flavour drop off, but with the same result.

I just got fresh blank carts this Tuesday and even on a new cart the flavour is almost non-existant. I actually notice less flavour with the fresh blanks -- I assume it's because the old carts still have remnants of the liquid when the flavour was stronger.

The atomiser angle is an interesting idea. It has done a couple of cleaning cycles in the past week. I tried to catch them quickly and remove the battery, but I definitely noticed the plastic taste afterwards for a dozen or so drags.

Still, when smelling the bottle of liquid itself the strawberry aroma is definitely much weaker than when I first opened it.

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

Heed

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2008
Dasein
This is the first I've read of flavor possibly coming out of suspension, Heed, but it's certainly a possibility. Thanks for alerting us. My own problem has been weak flavors, almost DOA from the start. Wimp flavors, I call them. Coffee is my chief complaint. In the e-liquids I've tried, it's not even Sanka!

If you ever get into making your own, as I've done many times, you'll observe that the contents don't freely mix. Poured separately, they look like a layered cake. So I have had to "shake" the bottle, rocking it back and forth until mixing occurs. I use commercial e-liquid (for its known nicotine content), Bickford PG-based flavoring, vegetable glycerine and Kahlua liquor (to thin and add taste).

It seems possible to me that a flavor ingredient could come out of suspension and require remixing by shaking. And if the flavor is alcohol-based to begin with, maybe it weakens with each exposure to air. Interesting problem and I'll be interested in anyone else who had a similar experience -- and how they handled it.

Yes, when I tried the strawberry for the first time it was much weaker than what I imagined it would be. My original concern was it being too much and tasting sickly, but once I tried the liquid I knew that wouldn't be a concern. I could certainly be happy with a flavour that is 2-4 times as strong as when I first opened the bottle.

The specific gravity of each solution will, in part, determine how well they mix, I imagine. I worked in bars for a decade when I was younger and that's the basic idea behind making a "layered shooter" like a B-52. The differing specific gravities of each liquer allow for layering them on top of eachother without them mixing -- you just need to get the order correct.

That's a good point about alcohol based flavours. Although, the cap was only off the bottle for the time I was topping up and then went right back on firmly. Seems to me evaporation would have been very minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread