E liquid storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
Well my first supplies order arrived, freebase nic, nic salt, some PG diluted flavors and some straight VG/PG. My questions are about storage.

The freebase nic, you freeze it for storage correct? Does it actually freeze solid (I got the 100mg/ml PG base, a liter)? If so need to keep some out for near term usage. I assume if you keep some out of the freezer for use at least keep in the refrigerator? How about the nic salts, same thing? Any problem freezing/thawing/refreezing multiple times?

PG diluted flavors, refrigerate or freeze or just keep at room temp? Any idea what the "shelf life" is on flavors? I actually have a few small bottles of flavoring from about 5 years ago, was figuring on pitching them.

PG/VG, refrigerate, freeze or just room temp? Shelf life?

How about ejuice I have mixed? Since it has the nic in it maybe refrigerate? I have some really old premixed Fire N Ice juice with nic, probably best to pitch as the nic probably expires. Can "old" nic solution be dangerous?

Thanks.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I'll leave commenting on the flavorings to others. I don't use them often enough to keep anything on hand.

For nicotine, long term storage is in the freezer. It won't freeze solid. Some folks freeze in glass for very long term stoarge, honestly, mine is just left in the HDPE plastic containers it shipped in. When pulling it out of the freezer, allow it to come completely to room temperature before opening it. This avoids condensation/moisture from getting into your bottle contents. This goes for anything you freeze like this.

I keep a smaller bottle of nic concentrate for mixing in the refrigerator. Also allow it to warm to room temp before opening. When my fridge supply gets low, I remove from the freezer, allow it to warm to room temp, and top off my fridge bottle. Easy peasy.

Nic salt or freebase, I store in the same manner.

I store my mixed juice in the fridge, just like I do my nic concentrate. I vape unflavored and usually mix a liter or more at a time. Once mixed, I break it down into 240ml squeeze bottles and store them in the fridge. I pull out a 240ml bottle as needed.

You can also store flavored juices in the fridge, but this will slow or stop steeping. Other will need to comment here as well, but you probably want to steep first, then store in the fridge if you won't be using it right away.

As far as VG/PG, they get stored at room temp, in a dark closet, etc. I've heard two years for shelf life, but most likely longer. I date my nic bottles and VG/PG when I buy them. Always just make sure that I use the oldest first when pulling a new bottle of them.

I've probably got over 20 years worth of nic in the freezer (still in the HDPE containers). I buy several gallons of VG/PG at a time, but I don't really worry about shelf life. I just use the oldest first. Never had any issues.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I broke my liter of 100mg pg nic into graduated bottles; 500ml, 250ml, 120ml, 60ml. So when I mix, I pull out the smallest bottle and work from there. All stay frozen until I need more. I take my 250ml nic to room temp, shake the heck out of it, fill up another 120ml and 60ml bottle and put them back in the freezer. I keep my 60ml bottle of working nic in the fridge.

My PG and VG are in a cupboard next to my desk. They are approaching 3 years old (I bought a lot!). All of my flavors are in Tupperware in a drawer in my desk. Some are just as old. I usually just buy 10ml at a time because I usually mix only 4 or 5 times a year. Because they're so cheap, I don't mind pitching them if I don't think they are up to snuff.

I never heard of old nic being dangerous. It will just loose potency or become off tasting.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Lots of people who DIY will break up their liters of nic base for freezer storage, into smaller-sized glass bottles with the polycone caps on them. Fill them up to about 1/4" from the top, and as you screw on the polycone cap it'll push out the tiny amount of air at the top. I normally keep enough out of the freezer, at just room temperature, to last me about 3 months, for my "working bottle" of nic base. HDPE and LDPE bottles aren't totally resistant to air penetration, like glass bottles are, so I personally choose not to use them for nic base storage at all.

As others mentioned, PG & VG don't need to be kept refrigerated nor in the freezer. They're both antimicrobial, so they don't "go bad" as in spoiling. Many people just keep theirs in a darker area, away from sunlight and other heat sources.

As far as flavorings for DIY, they don't "go bad" either. If anything, they may lose just a very tiny bit of potency after a couple years (according to Kim, owner of OSDIY). I don't even keep mine refrigerated and don't notice any difference in the ones I bought even 3-4 years ago. I just keep them in my flavoring storage cases away from sunlight and other heat sources.

Making enough eliquid at a time to last me about 2 months, works best for me. So I don't refrigerate any of it, and it's been fine. When I first started DIY I was making lots of different recipes at a time, to try a bunch of them. Because I was using recipes with high total % of flavorings in them...some developed a sort of "soapy" taste after about 4-5 months. My total flavoring % in recipes has gone way down though, and I've not had any soapy tasting eliquids at all since doing that.

You'll find out for yourself though, which storage methods, types of containers to use, quantity of eliquids to make at a time, etc. work best for you. There is no "1 and only way" that's right for everyone. :thumbs:

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    Because I was using recipes with high total % of flavorings in them...some developed a sort of "soapy" taste after about 4-5 months. My total flavoring % in recipes has gone way down though, and I've not had any soapy tasting eliquids at all since doing that.

What % flavor do you use? Probably depends on the flavor though. I'm thinking of testing a recipe, maybe 10ml to start. .5ml cinnamon (PG based), .5ml menthol (PG based), 1.5 ml 100 mg/ml nic PG based and 7.5 ml VG. So 10% flavor. And should be 15 mg/ml nic. Both flavors very strong, might have to cut back the menthol a bit. A lot of personal preference involved in mixing, all the advice here on basics (storage/shelf life etc, is GREAT). Would not have thought of letting everything come to room temp before using. Probably going to invest in some glass bottles (got three 30ml glass with my order).

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    Thanks for all for the excellent advice, time to start experimenting. Maybe most already know this but in case someone doesn't I'll post it. The syringes, I hear the graduating marks can wear off. I read covering them with a piece of clear tape can prevent this. Or maybe some clear liquid coating/sealer. Assuming you are just dipping the needle part in the liquids, not the syringes themselves.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    What % flavor do you use? Probably depends on the flavor though.

The % I use of each of the various flavorings...depends on the strength of the flavoring itself and what its purpose is in the recipe I'm making. If I'm using it as a primary flavor in the recipe and it's not a potent flavoring, I'll use it at a higher % than any secondary (or blender type) flavorings, and much higher compared to any accent flavorings and/or sweetener I may have in it.

As far as the total % of flavoring I use in my own DIY eliquids now, the maximum is 15%. Only 2 recipes I make use 15% total flavoring though. Most of them are between 8-13%. Several that I make with what to me are very potent flavorings (ie. TFA Peppermint, TFA Maraschino Cherry, Dulce de Leche, Creme de Menthe, and similar ones)...have a much lower total %.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I'm thinking of testing a recipe, maybe 10ml to start. .5ml cinnamon (PG based), .5ml menthol (PG based), 1.5 ml 100 mg/ml nic PG based and 7.5 ml VG. So 10% flavor.

I forgot to comment on the above in my last post. If I were you, I'd start with way less than that...for each of those 2 flavorings. IMO, it'll most likely knock your socks off at 5% of each one. You can always add more of either or both if needed, but you can't ever remove it...if/when it's too much to start with.

• Agree
    Reactions: stols001

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    I forgot to comment on the above in my last post. If I were you, I'd start with way less than that...for each of those 2 flavorings. IMO, it'll most likely knock your socks off at 5% of each one. You can always add more of either or both if needed, but you can't ever remove it...if/when it's too much to start with.

Yeah, just hard to measure much less than .5ml accurately for the small test batch. If it is too strong flavor wise can dilute with more nic solution and VG :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Yeah, just hard to measure much less than .5ml accurately for the small test batch.

Do you have/use 1mL syringes? Should be able to measure even much smaller amounts with that size, than the .5mL. If you have 2mL or 3mL syringes...they should have 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0mL, etc. longer lines and have shorter little lines before the 0.5 and between the others to indicate 0.1mL increments.

• Agree

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    Do you have/use 1mL syringes? Should be able to measure even much smaller amounts with that size, than the .5mL. If you have 2mL or 3mL syringes...they should have 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0mL, etc. longer lines and have shorter little lines before the 0.5 and between the others to indicate 0.1mL increments.

Actually my syringe order just arrived today. I got 1s, 3s, 5s and 10s. Various needle sizes. Even the 14ga seems a bit small for VG, it's pretty thick. Might try 12ga for that if they make 'em. Or maybe it is the hole in the syringes themselves, maybe a larger syringe would have a slightly larger hole?

I mixed up the 10ml test batch using the formula I listed above. Will let it sit awhile to steep. I read you can speed up the "steeping" by putting your bottle in a bowl of warm water. Says when the water cools it will be steeped?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    What % flavor do you use? Probably depends on the flavor though. I'm thinking of testing a recipe, maybe 10ml to start. .5ml cinnamon (PG based), .5ml menthol (PG based), 1.5 ml 100 mg/ml nic PG based and 7.5 ml VG. So 10% flavor. And should be 15 mg/ml nic. Both flavors very strong, might have to cut back the menthol a bit. A lot of personal preference involved in mixing, all the advice here on basics (storage/shelf life etc, is GREAT). Would not have thought of letting everything come to room temp before using. Probably going to invest in some glass bottles (got three 30ml glass with my order).

If you like 15mg/ml, and you don't change your PG to VG Ratio much, instead of making each Mix from scratch you could make a 120ml or 240ml of Unflavored "Pre-Mix".

Then when you want to do a Mix, all you would have to do is to Add Flavorings/Sweeteners.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    If you like 15mg/ml, and you don't change your PG to VG Ratio much, instead of making each Mix from scratch you could make a 120ml or 240ml of Unflavored "Pre-Mix".

Then when you want to do a Mix, all you would have to do is to Add Flavorings/Sweeteners.

I might try that, once I determine what nic I want to use, right now all is in the experimentation phase. Main goal is to cut back smoking. And obviously the less nic the better. Ideally for me some day would be to take NOTHING into my lungs except air :) I did try my menthol/cinnamon mix, it's pretty good for me, even at 10% total flavoring. However my taste buds are not great due to the REGULAR smoking, my mixture might be over the top for someone with GOOD taste buds...................

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I might try that, once I determine what nic I want to use, right now all is in the experimentation phase. Main goal is to cut back smoking. And obviously the less nic the better. ...

If you are still seeking a mg/ml and or PG to VG Ratio, then making Pre-Mix isn't going to be a big help. So yeah... I would do Everything from scratch. But the Smallest Batch I would make would be 30ml.

DIY Ingredients are Dirt Cheap. So tossing 30ml vs. tossing 10ml Isn't really going to break the bank.

But Measuring for 30ml (to me) is Easier. And it is also More Forgiving when your Measurements are a Smidge Off.

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    If you are still seeking a mg/ml and or PG to VG Ratio, then making Pre-Mix isn't going to be a big help. So yeah... I would do Everything from scratch. But the Smallest Batch I would make would be 30ml.

DIY Ingredients are Dirt Cheap. So tossing 30ml vs. tossing 10ml Isn't really going to break the bank.

But Measuring for 30ml (to me) is Easier. And it is also More Forgiving when your Measurements are a Smidge Off.

True enough on cost (and easier/accurate to measure). For me DIY only way to go, can be like 80-90% cheaper than buying premix from what I see. Also testing premixes to see what you like, at 5-10 times the cost of DIY could get a bit expensive ;)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    True enough on cost (and easier/accurate to measure). For me DIY only way to go, can be like 80-90% cheaper than buying premix from what I see. Also testing premixes to see what you like, at 5-10 times the cost of DIY could get a bit expensive ;)

That's one of the Very Cool Things about doing DIY. You can Chuck 3/4 of the stuff you make and it is Still Way Cheaper than buying Retail e-Liquids.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I did try my menthol/cinnamon mix, it's pretty good for me, even at 10% total flavoring. However my taste buds are not great due to the REGULAR smoking, my mixture might be over the top for someone with GOOD taste buds...................
    That's what DIY is all about... making it the way it tastes good to you. As long as your goal is not making commercially marketable e-liquid; it doesn't matter how much flavoring you use, as long as you like it.

Vaping is all about "harm reduction." Finding something, that is as satisfying as smoking, without as high a harmful risk as smoking. If, for you, that means using 10%, 20%, or even 30% flavoring... do it. You are still better off than smoking. :thumb:
    Also testing premixes to see what you like, at 5-10 times the cost of DIY could get a bit expensive ;)
    I think @zoiDman was saying, you can mix up your own premix (vs. buying premade premix); using your own PG, VG, and nicotine concentrate. You maintain the cost-savings advantage, of buying your own individual ingredients, while gaining the convenience of having a premix.

However, you are right; in that, until you begin to zero in on what is working best for you (nicotine amount, and PG/VG ratio), that is something that is better left for a later time.
    Main goal is to cut back smoking. And obviously the less nic the better. Ideally for me some day would be to take NOTHING into my lungs except air :)
    If, getting away from the cancer sticks is your main goal... don't be in too big of a hurry to ramp down the nicotine. Nicotine, is actually one of the less harmful elements a person is exposed to, during smoking. Don't be afraid of using higher nicotine in your early days of vaping to help get you away from cigarettes.

Once you are comfortably completely off/done with cigarettes; then you can start lowering nic levels in your e-liquid, if you so choose. Take things one step at a time to optimize your likelihood of success. :D

Congratulations on making it this far! Now; keep going!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Merlin 9

Aug 10, 2018
    I think @zoiDman was saying, you can mix up your own premix (vs. buying premade premix); using your own PG, VG, and nicotine concentrate. You maintain the cost-savings advantage, of
    buying your own individual ingredients, while gaining the convenience of having a premix

That's what I meant, I just didn't word it the best. Trying premade/premixed/retail juices to try to find what you like could add up quick is what I was trying to say.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread