Status
Not open for further replies.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The Trump administration announced Wednesday it will withdraw from a 144-year-old postal treaty, claiming the treaty gives countries like China and Singapore an unfair advantage and floods U.S. markets with cheaper e-commerce packages.

The withdrawal echoes President Donald Trump's history of accusatory rhetoric against China for manipulating trade by subsidizing its manufacturers. Trump volleyed billions of dollars in tariffs with China over the summer, raising concerns of higher domestic manufacturing costs. A senior administration official said Wednesday that the withdrawal from the postal agreement is not related to the tariffs, but the move is aimed at protecting U.S. manufacturers and the U.S. postal system.

Trump withdraws from postal treaty in new front against China

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was paying 8 dollars a few weeks ago for fasttech shipping when I couldn't get free shipping. Some are offering free shipping on lightweight items.

Vendors who buy items in quantity for resale probably won't see the pinch like those of us who order one and two or a few items at a time. I guess saving up a list before ordering will help absorb the pinch. I usually compare stateside pricing before I go and look at fasttech, anyway. Sometimes, USA vendors are as good or better deals if it's on sale.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
What a long strange trip it's been.
United_China_Relief1.jpg

Cheers
I

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I bet the Chinese government underwrites the added cost incurred by China Post to keep goods flowing. They know their economy has weak spots and they won't allow this to hit their consumer goods industry too much. The tariff talks, or lack thereof, is already enough of a headache.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I bet the Chinese government underwrites the added cost incurred by China Post to keep goods flowing. They know their economy has weak spots and they won't allow this to hit their consumer goods industry too much. The tariff talks, or lack thereof, is already enough of a headache.
One of the aspects of the Chinese vape industry I find disturbing I was told is that it’s almost entirely export. In China vaping is “discouraged” and nic juice is not available at all. Makes me worry a bit

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
One of the aspects of the Chinese vape industry I find disturbing I was told is that it’s almost entirely export. In China vaping is “discouraged” and nic juice is not available at all. Makes me worry a bit

chinny reckon?
Seems EVERY gov't profits from cigarettes.
Some are just more protective of the revenue stream than others.
Nod to the FDA, TPD, etc. :censored:ers!

Cheers
I

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
It costs, at the minimum, $2.66 USD to send a small package of 4 OZ anywhere in the USA, and that's using a discount service .. In January, USPS plans on initiating Zone Pricing, so distance from Seller will begin to play in .. as well, Priority Rates will go up ..

Now, let's use a Cell Phone Skin as an example of China / Hong Kong shipping .. a low of .77 cents with free shipping to anywhere in the USA ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=cell+phone+skin&_sop=15

USPS going broke, much of it due to this antiquated shipping treaty, which China has taken advantage of ..

Kudos to this New Direction .. this can only help USA businesses and as a bonus, throw some money at USPS ..

Downside .. depending on how you look at it .. ?? With the continued escalation of shipping costs combined with On Line Sales Tax Collection, B&M's will suddenly become more attractive ..

Personally, I've never bought anything from Fastech / eBay China or their ilk .. I'd rather pay more and support an American Based Business ..

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It costs, at the minimum, $2.66 USD to send a small package of 4 OZ anywhere in the USA, and that's using a discount service .. In January, USPS plans on initiating Zone Pricing, so distance from Seller will begin to play in .. as well, Priority Rates will go up ..

Now, let's use a Cell Phone Skin as an example of China / Hong Kong shipping .. a low of .77 cents with free shipping to anywhere in the USA ..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=cell+phone+skin&_sop=15

USPS going broke, much of it due to this antiquated shipping treaty, which China has taken advantage of ..

Kudos to POTUS .. this can only help USA businesses and as a bonus, throw some money at USPS ..

Downside .. ?? With the continued escalation of shipping costs combined with On Line Sales Tax Collection, B&M's will suddenly become more attractive ..
POTUS is an outside topic.

• Disagree
Reactions: VHRB2014

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
According to the article linked in OP once it reaches US borders, USPS is eating the costs of getting them to the destination within its borders. Never knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread