E-Power Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
It's really simple math. 1050= 58.3% of 1800 PROVIDING YOU vape AT THE SAME EXACT CONDITIONS: atty, resistance, voltage, and vaping style.

Actually, a regulated supply should last a bit longer and I am not sure if the Xhaler is regulated or purely mechanical. From what I can seem the Xhaler is a mechanical device.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Haha thanks for the division. I think that should def last a day. Why would regulated last longer? There is an inherent loss in the regulator circuitry so I would assume it would last slightly less long. Plus it cuts put when the voltage drops below a certain threshold
I guess that would depend on what you consider a 'good' vaping experience. And keep in mind that mAh's aren't just about vape times, they play a big part in how much current (max discharge rate) a cell can provide and how much voltage sag you can expect.

Plus it cuts put when the voltage drops below a certain threshold
A good thing. First puff, last puff... the same.

makasin

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
San Diego
True. The bigger the batt, the more it can discharge. I wonder about using supercapacitors instead of batteries since ecigs require tremendous current draw capability. It would be cool to look into. I might look intodesining one to test. Supercaps are basically somewhere in between batteries and caps. High energy density like batts yet high output like caps. Don't know if they can be used for this but I'll look into it. I'm surprised nobody has used the combo of batts an caps tho. That would help the smaller batteries handle the low resistance atomizers but I guess it would be too complicated to miniaturize

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... I wonder about using supercapacitors instead of batteries since ecigs require tremendous current draw capability. It would be cool to look into. I might look intodesining one to test. Supercaps are basically somewhere in between batteries and caps. High energy density like batts yet high output like caps. Don't know if they can be used for this but I'll look into it. I'm surprised nobody has used the combo of batts an caps tho.
There is a wealth of info on these forums. Many times folks ask questions that have been discussed over the years and often times hundreds of posts can be found.

Of course these supercaps have been discussed and as a matter fact there is a pretty recent thread, complete with parts list, schematic and vid.

:)

My sig says it all.

Vapolous

Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
Australia
Just got an E-Power today. Nice unit! Loving the replaceable batt feature!!
Question: Given the device has regulated output does that mean there would be no point in using IMR High Drain cells on it?
In fact I have a couple of 950mah IMR14650s here, working just fine on the E-Power. They're slightly shorter than the supplied cells yet I'm experiencing no contact issues what so ever.

Cheers.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
Great thread, I've learned a lot about the ePower and that process started here.

One thing I don't see anyone talking about is how the thing actually vapes compared to an eGo or Riva510. Even though the ePower looks similiar, the vaping experience must be different, right?

Is the vapor from the ePower more warm and humid than a fat bat 510? Is it warmer than a KR808? What about flavor? Are eliquids significantly more pungent in this mod?

How does the thing feel in your hand? Heavy, moderate, just right? Does it fit in your pocket ok, or is it too long for that? What kind of a case do you use for it?

Enquiring minds want to know! ;)

Thanks.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
There will undoubtedly be people who will disagree with me, but using the same atty/cart/juice or carto at the same voltage under load that two PV's will deliver, there should be no difference whatsoever in the vaping even if one has a regulated power supply the size of a house and the other the size of a super mini the size of a match, assuming such a thing were possible, especially with the 510.

Of course there are differences between PV's: voltage, regulation, battery type and capacity, durability, design, ergonomics, duration of the battery, etc, etc.

As to the draw, the major way for air to get into an atty is through the air holes in the atty. On a 510, they can be found on the sides just above the thread. That is why they cut those slots in most 510 devices. Other atty types have a different device design, so this argument would not be completely valid for a Screwdriver which is a 901, where air can get into the atty from the bottom hole.

So I have to question some of the so called "expert" reviewers who claim that a particular 3.7 volt 510 device has such a superior vape.

Don't believe me? Take your plain vanilla 510 atty or carto , block the bottom hole, and try sucking on it. You will have an air flow. Block the bottom hole and you still have air flow and there will not be much of a difference. On most 510 devices, the atty/carto is screwed flush with the pole so very little air, if any gets in through the bottom hole. The differences start with the other factors.

The eGo is a regulated device that delivers 3.2 v under load. The Riva is 3.7 as is the ePower.

The Riva and ePower will deliver a slightly warmer vaper than an eGo, although not all eGo's are the same these days and some deliver an even higher voltage.

The ePower is obviously larger than a 650 mAh eGo, but about 1/4 " longer than the larger 1000 mAh eGo. The ePower is a larger diameter. I don't have a caliper handy.

As far as feel, it is about the same as the larger eGo. Here is the rub: my eGo 1000 mAh batteries are around $20-$25. I can buy the ePower battery at less than $4, I can replace the switch, and when the ePower goes VV, all I need to do is replace the switch without buying new batteries and chargers.

If you are a fan of the eGo mega cart, tankomizers, or whatever, they will not work................yet

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Tonyorion pretty much hit the nail on the head. I do not notice much of a difference between the ePower and the eGos. The vapor may be a little bit warmer, but not enough to make a difference.

As for feel, the unit is ePower is definitely bigger than the eGo, but I found it just as comfortable to use and carry as the eGo. The only downside for me in daily use is that I have made a custom belt clip case with hard tubes for eGos - not wide enough for the ePower.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
No, but it does come with a sliding button protector that slides into place to prevent accidental presses.

I'm lukewarm on the button protectors. This one seemed to work okay, but using while using one on an eGo, it managed to turn around to the point that it kept the button pressed. Needless to say, I haven't trusted them since.

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
Thanks. You know, that's something I completely overlooked and will have to add to the review. Compared to mods, the need to remove batteries is par for the course, but compared to an eGo, the charger is more cumbersome than a USB dongle.

Yeah, I'm very curious to see what that will cost. Overall the quality feels pretty good, but only time will tell.

switch is $10 bucks....i talked to dude at hoosiercigs.... not too bad!

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
They will not take a 1.5 LR atty, everything has to be 2 ohms or better. That's a deal breaker in my book.

Keep in mind that is the "official" line. Recommended, no. Possible, yes. You just run the risk of killing the switch. Some have had that experience with eGos, but I can state for a fact, that I have eGo batteries that are over a year old that have been used exclusively with ~1.7ohm LR atties and are still going strong.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
I received an EPower about two weeks ago. Something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread that I have encountered is that the PCB wont allow for a drag exceeding about 3 seconds, in my experience. I get the LED flash and the voltage is cut off to the battery in about half the time of my normal drag from an eGo/Riva 1000 mah battery.

I sent the switch back to the vendor who agreed that the switch was indeed cutting off the voltage very early and he was kind enough to send out a replacement. Odd thing is, the replacement is only marginally better.

The batteries have been fully charged when this occurs (and when they wear down) and I'm using the stock (2.5 ohm) attys that came in the kit. Anybody experience this? I enjoy a nice, long slow hit. I never got a (true Joye) eGo to the shut off limit but I believe it's about 8 seconds? I don't need anything near that much. I suppose my normal drag is a touch over four seconds. The EPower wont let me get that far. Did I get two defective PCB/switches?

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
Not to question your choice, but if you want that hot a vapor would it not be better to run a higher voltage with a HR atty or standard atty?

I gave up on LR's simply because they burned out so quickly. The caveat, as always, is the brand of atty, type of juice, style of vaping (dripping, long draw, etc.), and, of course, maintenance.

Not that I would go back to analogs, but they were so much simpler. Maybe a dozen brands to choose from and that was it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread