e2 v4 burnt plastic tast

Status
Not open for further replies.

divinerebel

Jul 24, 2010
ozark, mo
i think i night have found why all my new e2;s are getting a burnt plastic taste.
first lets walk everyone through a new cart fill , first i remove all the plugs ( all three) and rinse , let dry , replace plugs and fill with juice , let wick for around 30 min .
my pv is a elegant ( ego type) at 3.7 volts .
at first everything is ok , plenty of vapor and great flavor, then around puff 5 or so i get a burnt plastic taste :(
after thinking long and hard about it i think i might have figured it out , at work i use heat shrink tube allot and after its heated up and installed there is still a heavy smell to it , could this be the prob I'm having .
other than that I'm all out of ideas , any one else have these prob ?

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
I just posted the same thing last night on a different sub-forum...here's the link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecigarette-technical-issues/132450-ce2-r4-wtf-am-i-tasting.html

I know exactly what you mean...although I didn't pre-rinse mine. Did a dry burn instead. From the pics on RS it looks like there's some kind of shrink tubing like you stated, so you may be on to something. I know someone here knows the answer (badkolo?). My questions are, regardless of what it is, can I get rid of it? Will it dissipate over time? Is it harmful? I've enjoyed the R3s and can tolerate the leaking more than I can tolerate the taste from the R4s. Why can't they get these freakin' things done right?!? And when will someone in the US improve the design and mass-produce these using good QC?

nickf41680

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
new york
I just posted the same thing last night on a different sub-forum...here's the link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecigarette-technical-issues/132450-ce2-r4-wtf-am-i-tasting.html

I know exactly what you mean...although I didn't pre-rinse mine. Did a dry burn instead. From the pics on RS it looks like there's some kind of shrink tubing like you stated, so you may be on to something. I know someone here knows the answer (badkolo?). My questions are, regardless of what it is, can I get rid of it? Will it dissipate over time? Is it harmful? I've enjoyed the R3s and can tolerate the leaking more than I can tolerate the taste from the R4s. Why can't they get these freakin' things done right?!? And when will someone in the US improve the design and mass-produce these using good QC?
what ohm cartos do u guys have? have u check out the giant help thread on e2's theres alot of good info on it

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I have the R4 and using a standard eGo battery... what ohm should I be using? Vendor I got it from said she thinks that it's 3.2-3.4 but not 100% sure. They'l the XL type. Flavor is just off... There was an odd taste but I was able to clear that up by cleaning it out with hot water and dry burning until it glowed, now the odd taste is gone but flavor is very weak and still doesn't taste just right.

I've tried 3 very different flavors (peanut butter cup, french toast, coffee) and they all taste the same, with only a slight hint of the true flavor. It is bad enough that when I mixed them up, I honestly could not tell which one was which, I had to take it apart and dump out liquid to see the color of it.

I'm thinking it might be the ohms that is off, as I've had the same result from 4/5 in the pack, haven't opened the 5th yet. I really like the concept, the smoother TH, and no leaking. I loved my XL atty because I only refilled it once (top off in the morning, refill at the end of the day) and it produced great vapor. These seem to do almost as much vapor, but don't last as long... but the XL atty was a pain to balance leaking vs wicking, if I could just get the taste right from the CE2 XL I think I could be happy with them.

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
How often are you hitting them?

The wicking isn't that great if you're chain vaping, PTB modding can help with that problem though.

Yeah, the wicking isn't even as good as the R3s IMO. But the taste problem is from the start...not related to wicking. I'll probably try the PTB mod just for fun though (haven't yet...not doing high voltage and didn't think I'd need to).

Last edited:

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
I have the R4 and using a standard eGo battery... what ohm should I be using? Vendor I got it from said she thinks that it's 3.2-3.4 but not 100% sure. They'l the XL type. Flavor is just off... There was an odd taste but I was able to clear that up by cleaning it out with hot water and dry burning until it glowed, now the odd taste is gone but flavor is very weak and still doesn't taste just right.

I've tried 3 very different flavors (peanut butter cup, french toast, coffee) and they all taste the same, with only a slight hint of the true flavor. It is bad enough that when I mixed them up, I honestly could not tell which one was which, I had to take it apart and dump out liquid to see the color of it.

I'm thinking it might be the ohms that is off, as I've had the same result from 4/5 in the pack, haven't opened the 5th yet. I really like the concept, the smoother TH, and no leaking. I loved my XL atty because I only refilled it once (top off in the morning, refill at the end of the day) and it produced great vapor. These seem to do almost as much vapor, but don't last as long... but the XL atty was a pain to balance leaking vs wicking, if I could just get the taste right from the CE2 XL I think I could be happy with them.

2.5 ohm for the eGo. Use the 3.0 for HV (although I remember seeing some discussion about using the 3.0 for lower voltage batts as well). The RS site has recommended ohm ratings for different batts.

Last edited:

MilkyG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Frederick, MD
the consensus seems to be that 2.5 ohm on a 3.7v device seems to run to hot .. IMO you would be better with a 2.9-3 ohm or use a vv device...

Yes, I've read that from badkolo's thread...although the eGo actually runs at 3.1V, so 2.5 ohm, although warmer (which I prefer anyway), is just fine for me. I don't do any marathon vaping, so the wicking seems to be okay (for now). I'll be trying the 3.0 next.

And as a follow-up to my posting, the initial bad taste I encountered seems to be dissipating over time...thank god. Very strange though and definitely worth noting and getting feedback on.

divinerebel

Jul 24, 2010
ozark, mo
OK just to update , i couldn't stand the fact i bought something i couldn't use so i removed all 3 plugs and boiled in the stove for 15 min , rinsed and spun as much water out as possible . then sit on a paper towel overnight .
refilled this morning and its been a few hours with no signs of the horrible taste .
so whatever it was it is able to be rinsed out , oh and the first plug ( the one that sits around the cup) is a pain to reinstall with the fill holes opposite the cup notches lol.
thanks to all the advice from everyone :)

arjay55

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2010
- ɹəpun uʍop -
..... oh and the first plug ( the one that sits around the cup) is a pain to reinstall with the fill holes opposite the cup notches lol.
thanks to all the advice from everyone :)

I use a hole punch (or wad punch) to knock out some of the centre section of that filler ring, which then makes it a little easier replacing and removing it. The one I use is 5mm. badkolo suggests having a larger hole there helps the air flow over the atomizer coil (although he uses the inverted middle ring instead).

I also put a drop of juice on the ring before replacing it. It seems to make it more supple and it fits in easier.

I use the (open) end of a syringe cover to push the ring back into place. It's almost a perfect fit.

fillerrings-modified3.jpg

fillerring-Closeup.jpg

5mmpunch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread