Status
Not open for further replies.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
The difference will be negligible. You might end up with 51 PG/49VG or something like that.

Its a bit more complicated than that. The weight of glycerin is ~1,200mg per mL, so the highest nicotine concentration that people sell without turning glycerin into a near-solid is 1,000mg per mL. Anyway, if you have 18mg/mL VG nic, it's something like 1.5% nicotine by weight, meaning 98.5% VG. So your final mix would be 49.25% VG, 50% PG, and .75% nicotine.

Rourke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn, CT
Why not just snag a liter or half liter of 100 mg and mix it down like 120 ml at a time as needed?

That way it will be way cheaper in the long run and you can change your mixture when/if your taste changes

Being brand new to mixing I figured it would be a good idea to start with a lower nic level. If I am not exactly precise with 18 mg I don't feel like it would be a big deal but I am concerned that if I mess up 100 mg nic I will turn into a toadstool.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I would use an ejuice calculator for the DIY mix. Make a small batch between ten and thirty mls. You can always mix more later if it is to your liking. Plus you can add flavors using the right calculator and not lose nic content. Unless you plan on vaping unflavored juice.

I understand what the OP is asking, but regardless, I would still use an ejuice calculator.

Rourke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn, CT
I would use an ejuice calculator for the DIY mix. Make a small batch between ten and thirty mls. You can always mix more later if it is to your liking. Plus you can add flavors using the right calculator and not lose nic content. Unless you plan on vaping unflavored juice.

I understand what the OP is asking, but regardless, I would still use an ejuice calculator.

What confuses me about the ejuice calculator is the nicotine solutions. Some seem to be straight nic while others have either a pg or vg base. I thought the easiest way would be to just get an 18mg nic with a vg base and add and equal amount of pg. My thinking is that this would give close to a 9mg 50/50 pg blend. I plan on trying to vape unflavored for a while and If I don't like it make small batching of flavor juice that is at least 6 mg from that 9 mg base that I have made. Thanks again for all your help.

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
What confuses me about the ejuice calculator is the nicotine solutions. Some seem to be straight nic while others have either a pg or vg base. I thought the easiest way would be to just get an 18mg nic with a vg base and add and equal amount of pg. My thinking is that this would give close to a 9mg 50/50 pg blend. I plan on trying to vape unflavored for a while and If I don't like it make small batching of flavor juice that is at least 6 mg from that 9 mg base that I have made. Thanks again for all your help.

I dunno which calc you're using, but on the ejuicemeup calc (which I use), it has a slot where you punch in whether your nic is PG or VG. It calculates this in the total % for you. So lets say I'm using 100mg VG nic, and I want to end up with 12mg 60vg/40pg base. Here's what I would punch in.

Nic Base - 100mg - VG
Desired Nic - 12mg
Desired Ratio - 60/50
Flavors (Optional)

Then it just does the math for me at this point. Very easy to use and understand. When I first started DIY, I just read all of the stickies, got me a calculator, did some 'practice calculations' without actually mixing, then once I had a firm grasp on the whole ordeal, ordered 100mg nic straight away. Never had any accidents or miscalculations. I realize it's smart to start slow and small, but honestly if you grab a good calculator and read the stickies and other people's blogs (like Hoosier), you should be a semi-pro before even touching any equipment.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN

The eJuice Me Up calculator can be downloaded from the link below and will let you input the VG/PG ratio of the nic liquid being used among other things. I'd highly recommend getting acquainted with it as it will be extremely helpful down your diy road.

Yes for what you're wanting to do just adding an equal amount of pg would work and get you where you want to be +- a few tenths of a percent which no one would ever notice.

eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
So if I want to make a 9mg unflavored ejuice 50/50 pg/vg blend. Could I just get this 18mg PG base nic from wizard labs and add an equal 120 ml of VG. I am trying to make my 1st diy batch as simple as possible. Thanks for your help.

18mg Nicotine solution - 120ml

Don't get hung up on the whole "The weight by volume by which the NIC offsets the PG concentration by it's displacement of the base divided by concentration of the raw NIC metric value thingie".

Explinations can get so convoluted that it blurs the whole simplicity of what you want to do and you'd never notice the difference..

Just pour out 5mls of your 18mg NIC solution then add 5mls of VG shake it up and you have 10mls of 9mg 50/50 unflavored juice. See how simple that was.

Last edited:
Don't get hung up on the whole "The weight by volume by which the NIC offsets the PG concentration by it's displacement of the base divided by concentration of the raw NIC metric value thingie".

Explinations can get so convoluted that it blurs the whole simplicity of what you want to do and you'd never notice the difference..

Just pour out 5mls of your 18mg NIC solution then add 5mls of VG shake it up and you have 10mls of 9ml 50/50 unflavored juice. See how simple that was.

I agree completely, although there appears to be a typo: "10 mls of 9 ml 50/50 unflavored" should be 9 mg, yes? For work, I deal with the minutia of accounting for everything to calculate precise quantities and concentrations, but for my juice, +/- 10% nicotine concentration is not something I worry about. I shoot for 33 mg/ml nic, but will end up ranging from 30-36 mg/ml if it makes my measurements easier.

And as far as I can tell, the general convention in the e-liquid industry is to ignore the volume contribution of the nicotine, since at normally vaped levels, it ends up being less than 3% of the total mix. So if you want something to be similar to the stated concentrations in commercial juice, you can ignore the volume of the nicotine (but not the volume of the PG/VG in the nic base, of course).

If you enjoy complex mathematical calculations for the sake of mental exercise, go ahead and include the volume of the pure nicotine. But if not, then do it as dannyv45 describes.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
There is an ejuice calculator app called Liquix at the Google store that you can buy for your tablet or smart phone. I have Android (not sure if it's available for Apple). I just checked and you can get it for $1.36 there are other ejuice calculator apps that are free. But this one has way more options. It's a nice convenience if your DIY mixing station is not near your computer.
This app lets me add as many flavors as I like to one mix. There is a separate section to add nic, and flavors and how much VG/PG is in each ingredient added.
The app will compensate the final calculation to make sure you have a mix you specify.
For example...a really simple example: If I want a 50/50 mix of PG/VG with a flavor added. I want to make 100mls. I told the app that my flavor was all VG based. Based on my % of flavor the app told me to add 5mls of flavor. So the final mix the app gave me is this....
-5mls of VG flavor
-45mls of VG
-50mls of PG

The result is 100mls of 50/50 blend with flavor.

This is not a real recipe. Just one I made up to try and tell you what this calculator does. There is still other things like Nicotine to add. And you can specify the strength and VG/PG ratios for that too.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
As far as mixing goes. Some calculators can specify drops, but a more accurate approach is measuring by the millimeter. Especially when it comes to mixing big batches. And drops can be inaccurate.
I use blunt needle syringes. Really big syringes, like 10 and 20ml with 18 and 20 gauge blunt needles. The syringes are marked by the millimeter and make it way easier to measure out what you need to DIY. You can find these syringes at most online DIY vape shops, or on eBay.
When it comes to specific measuring...I don't worry about it. A DIY ingredient in the calculator may call for something like 3.85 mls and since I don't have a syringe that measures that small. I might just round up to 4mls of that ingredient.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I agree completely, although there appears to be a typo: "10 mls of 9 ml 50/50 unflavored" should be 9 mg, yes?

Right you are I corrected my original post. Its my mind running faster then my fingers or as hoosier says it's the result of fat fingers on a small keyboard:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread