The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ebooks: Good? Bad? Free!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Wellness: Wrecked & Bonkers' started by jj2, Mar 31, 2012.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I know you sent me a long list but did you send all those!!!!!! :ohmy:

2. Dusty_D

Dusty_D Original Guru Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Toronto, Canada

Pretty sure I did. :)

3. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    How you been Dusty?

How was vacation with the family?

4. inter_ceptor00

inter_ceptor00 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2011
    Minor Details
    Just saw this thread and wanted to post my related comment regarding e-books. I haven't read any e-books I prefer paper for actually reading but when I am working I use my Ipod and listen to audiobooks instead. Librivox.org is a free audiobook database full of pre-1960s books of all kinds from Socrates to Wodehouse and all free. Not quite the same experience I guess but good if you want to get some literature in and still be able to focus on other things. Thanks for listening to my rant

5. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    Hi inter and audio books are good too!!!

Dusty I might have to go through your list again!

6. Dusty_D

Dusty_D Original Guru Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    The vacation was "muy bien"!! Let me know if you need any more of the books.

7. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I was sort of kidding because I don't have the list anymore. :(

I saw some of your comments & pics on FB. It looked like you had a good time!!!!

8. Fudgey

Fudgey Chocolate Diva Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hi Dusty!! Dang you have a lot of books!!!! I thought I read a lot.......LOL

Hi inter_ceptor......audio books are great if you have to drive a lot. My boss listens to them when she goes to TX.

9. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    They'd be good for when your driving.

10. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    The one's I sent you are from Dusty. :)

11. inter_ceptor00

inter_ceptor00 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 27, 2011
    Minor Details
    Im one of those mailman guys you people are always stalking all day long for your new gear. Im out walking the same route everyday and know it by heart so I raise my consciousness while I get the mail out.

12. medic123

medic123 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    a Florida beach
  13. Fudgey

Supporting member
    Feb 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Awesome!

Those are perfect for you! Thanks for the happiness you bring us vapers :D:laugh:

14. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I don't really stalk my mailman...truely I don't!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    Oh talked to son and I got my cord!!!!

Fudgey that one you sent is protected so it won't load.

Oh well I'm still happy, I got my cord!!!

16. cags

cags Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    east TN
    I'm glad I found this thread, I don't have an e-reader yet, but it is on my "want" list. (we are very technically behind in our house)

17. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    Oh cags you will love it!!!!

18. yo vapo

yo vapo Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2011
    Texas
    Do I correctly assume this means what [books] are good or bad as well as outlets?

Once Fudgey showed me how to do Kindle books on my iPad (why am I not surprised? There is an app for everything), I did a search for historical fiction freebies. One popped out called <i>The Haight</i> by Karin Bishop. (Or maybe it was at one of those "freebie of the day" places listed in this thread (Pixel of Ink), and I just got lucky; I don't remember. I see it's $9.99 at Amazon now, free for prime members). Being a "boomer" I figured this would be a fun light break from the many stories of old England and the adapted-to-prose Norse sagas I've been reading lately.

Here's the blurb:
    San Francisco’s famous Haight-Ashbury, 1967: Grace [sic - her name is Gloria] Mackenzie, RN, deals with the flood of patients brought to the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic during The Summer of Love. She’s a veteran of life in the Haight, living with several women and FreeBear, their landlord and lover, until that life is shaken by a bleeding young boy appearing in the clinic.

It’s a time of new life, of new concepts, of new music; a time of transition. Grace must deal with dangerous street drugs, gender identity, a murderous cabal, and future epidemics—the new world displacing the old—while trying to stay true to the concept of the hippie lifestyle.

The Haight is a time capsule, historically and socially accurate, with famous musicians mingling with unknown street people as tourists stare while the world changes.
    /blurb

Ethically, I can't bring myself to spoil this book by letting on what it turned out to be vs. what my expectations were. After reading the book I have too much respect for the author to do that. But let's say had I known what its story was to be I doubt I would have downloaded it, though it was free.

I'm very glad I was "duped" into reading The Haight though; it was an outstanding story and a wild ride. I read it yesterday. I couldn't put it down; it was that good. And no, I am not turning in my man card.

I only wish the book had been longer. For free, who can .....? Not me, I assure you. But at 10 bux for an ebook of ~200 pages I might kick a little, wanting a book of 300 pages or more. To me 10 dollars for an ebook is pricey, though I have paid that much before. That's just me; YMMV. I hope it can still be found somewhere free or at a reduced rate; I will post here if I find such. Personally I think this book should be a loss leader, and as such stay free or at least very cheap. I liked the book so much I emailed the author. If she writes back I think I'll mention that.

19. moonrai1980

moonrai1980 Senior Member

May 18, 2010
    fort worth
    I love my ereader. Its a sony that's a few years old now. But I've only bought maybe 4 books total and the rest I just borrow from the library. I think its a great way to read and my book shelve is thanking me. Its poor shelve are all curving from the weight of all the books we already have.

20. Fudgey

Supporting member
    Feb 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Darn.......maybe Dusty can help on that one. When I connect my Kinndle to the computer and open the book folder non of them have names...just letters and number :confused: The one I sent you came off of my Amazon archive.

My DH is grateful that we won't have to get another bookcase for the storage room........LOL

Glad to help out yo vapo :):)