Eeek. Total Newb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
I'm not quite sure I'm even in the right place here. I should be on the New Members board. I rarely use forums but I've found that recently, whenever I have Googled a question regarding anything vapey, I usually end up here so I might as well join.

A bit about myself:

I recently switched from analogues and after a bunch of research I decided on the istick 20w with nautilus Mini tank. I'm pretty much already addicted to anything vape related and spend far too many hours on the internet looking at tube mods, box mods, e liquid brands and blah blah blah. I'm on the look out for my next set up so any advice is welcome. In fact, any advice about anything is welcome. I have found that the info isn't obvious right off. I have learnt as I go along and at times it's nearly been enough for me to switch back. Example, I had no idea that coils needed to be changed often. I thought my device was shot and too much trouble etc. It would be good if newbs were directed somewhere for the start up info they need, wouldn't it?

I talk too much, obviously.

So, I have a million questions but I'll save it for the relevant places. In the mean time, Hi and any advice for new vapers would be appreciated.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Waxxiii. Glad to have you here!:)
It would be good if newbs were directed somewhere for the start up info they need, wouldn't it?
If newbs come to ECF, they are directed.:)

If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Here are a few more links from New Members Information <= Link covers many topics. Here are two of them:
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Welcome aboard
OBTW when the vapor production is weak and/or the flavor is off, a new coil will generally be required. Just sayin' :D

A really foul nasty burnt taste is a dead giveaway too. Who knew! (I sure didn't and was having 14 hissy fits, until someone enlightened me.) :D

Andria

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. There's nothing wrong with an iStick/Nauti combo. That's usually where I recommend new vapers start, albeit I would have suggested the 30 watt or 40TC over the 20 watt model, if you had asked, because it provides more room to grow. If what you have is working for you, you don't need anything else. (If you just want something else-- we call that disease "shinyitis" around here-- welcome to the club and we're going to have a lot of fun!) I do recommend having some backup gear in case your main breaks down. Another, slightly more powerful, iStick would serve this purpose admirably. If you like the mouth-to-lung hits you're getting from the Nauti, get another; maybe a bigger one so it will hold more juice if you're away from your stash a while. Another tootle puffer tank (low watt, MTL) well thought of is the GS Air. If you think you might like to try subohm (more and warmer cloud) and direct lung hits, a good place to start is the Kanger Subtank. It has a wide variety of coil values available and will do both MTL and direct lung, depending on how it's set up, plus has a RBA deck if you ever want to try building. Your iStick 20 is underpowered for subohm work. If you want to try the Subtank, the iStick 40 or the Innokin Cool Fire 4 is a better choice. The Subtank also comes bundled with the Kanger Subox mod, and this device is what I would recommend if you wish to move into removable battery mods (I personally prefer them, but others disagree). So having said all that-- I talk too much too-- let me add it's hard to advise you about new gear without a better understanding of what you want it to do. There is much to learn in this; all these recommendations I have made were done for a reason, but I haven't mentioned what these reasons might be. I can talk about this stuff all day, so like or quote this post so the system will notify me, and I'll come back to the thread.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I do recommend having some backup gear in case your main breaks down.

YES! Backups for your backup's backup! Because feces occurs more regularly and frequently to vape gear than to any other thing on the planet!!! But do beware of shinyitis; a little is ok, since you're not buying coffin nails anymore, but it can really run amok if you're not careful. :D The main thing is, to make it far easier to always find something to vape than to run to the store to buy coffin nails. :thumb:

Andria

Waxxiii

Jan 13, 2016
Welcome aboard
OBTW when the vapor production is weak and/or the flavor is off, a new coil will generally be required. Just sayin' :D
Ha, yes I realise now. Only after taking my tank apart four times to clean, dry, wash, blow into it. Only after watching a dozen videos on how to fix the gurgling sound and reading double that amount of Internet posts. Phew. What an idiot! I'll have to make sure I'm all stocked up with coils from now. One thing I've found. Since changing the coil I'm getting a ton of dry hits. I never had that problem before. Any ideas? I did notice that this cool had smaller holes. Is it possible that the wicks are not getting saturated enough because of this?

Reactions: Falconeer

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ha, yes I realise now. Only after taking my tank apart four times to clean, dry, wash, blow into it. Only after watching a dozen videos on how to fix the gurgling sound and reading double that amount of Internet posts. Phew. What an idiot! I'll have to make sure I'm all stocked up with coils from now. One thing I've found. Since changing the coil I'm getting a ton of dry hits. I never had that problem before. Any ideas? I did notice that this cool had smaller holes. Is it possible that the wicks are not getting saturated enough because of this?
very possible, especially with high VG juices. Coils should be primed before use. Put several drops of juice down the chimney and wet the ends of the wick at the holes. Install it in the tank, fill, and let sit a few minutes. Then cover the air holes with your fingers and draw on it once or twice without pushing the button. Lower the power for the first few hits, then raise it to your normal vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread