eGo mega attys and carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I recently was gifted a couple of the eGo mega attys and some carts to try out.

I originally did not give these a second look, because from what I was able to observe of the product, these new accessories would take away the unique vapability of the eGo, and I was right.

In all fairness to some folks that wanted an 801 for the eGo, these are it. It is my understanding that the atty is in fact a 302, which as we know the difference is minimal to non-existent. However, many prefer the 302 over the 801.

Discussion
The cart will hold 44 drops from new. I would add but 40 drops as 44 makes it too "wet" in the beginning but 40 is just nice. The unit holds the liquid in suspension well without floods with stock batting. The atty wicks the liquid well from the cart, not unlike some problems that plague stock 801s.

The combo performs well and produce decent vapour. A cart will see most folks through the day without problems. This combo is excellent for long commutes, or to see you through a day of vaping. I will report back on atty longevity at a latter date.

Cons
As expected, the combo does not vape like an eGo, but more like an 801/302. Fans of the eGo with cone will be disappointed if they expect an eGo vaping experience as it is just not there.

Conclusion
I have tried 801s, 901s and 510s. I prefer vaping on a 510. The other attys have their place in my vaping arsenal, but the 510 is my atty of choice.

I vape high and low voltages, high and low resistances, but my go to device is the eGo. If you are looking to maintain an eGo vaping experience (fitted with cone), then these may not be for you. OTOH if you are looking more towards the other attributes of these units, they very well might be your ticket.

Knifemaker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Central Texas
Humm- I don't know anything about the 301. I have the XL cart and atty here, and it gives good vapor and th. It seems more so than the 510 on the eGo, but then agin, I haven't cleaned the atty's in a while so the vapor may have lessened. ( So slowly that I hadn't noticed it.)

I did just get in my first LR Atty, and WooHoo!!! Now if they would just make the Mega XL in the LR!

What is the biggest difference between the 510 adn 310 Atty's?
I do know that the XL doesn't drip well for me. But I really appriciat the large capacity of liquid.

Mike

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
thanks for the more thorough and detailed review (compared to mine). My limited experience doesn't allow for a good comparison. Have you tried this on a HV device yet? also I've noticed the performance go down hill since I got it and started using it... not wicking as well, and although some of the polyfill has probably burnt off, I cannot drip nearly as much juice in there as the first drop. Is this normal? whether with this car or a standard 510 cart?

burnbabyburn

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Cape Breton N.S. Canada
Great review Switched...very informative. Of course I shouldn't be surprised you are after all, from the maritimes :D
I've had my mega atty's and carts for about a week now and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying them. At first I was unsure as to how much liquid they would actually hold, and how well they would wick my liquids, but as with anything new it takes a little time to get used to it.
My carts are holding between 40-50 drops with PG based liquids, but less with VG based. Most of my Vg liquids are very thick and the mega cart doesn't allow the thicker liquid to seep down all through the cart when filling, and also does not seem to wick as well.
I'm getting more throat hit and flavor with the mega atty/carts compared to the reg eGo atty, 510, or M601 atty/carts. I'm also getting most of a full days vaping from one filled mega cart. Combine this with the longevity of the eGo battery and it's all I need...well...except for a shrubbery :)
Just my :2c:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
*SNIP
What is the biggest difference between the 510 adn 310 Atty's?
I do know that the XL doesn't drip well for me. But I really appriciat the large capacity of liquid.

Mike
801/302 = Good flavour, cooler vape, decent TH
901 = Good flavour, hotter vape, mild TH
510 = Less flavour, hotter vape and great TH

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
thanks for the more thorough and detailed review (compared to mine). My limited experience doesn't allow for a good comparison. Have you tried this on a HV device yet? also I've noticed the performance go down hill since I got it and started using it... not wicking as well, and although some of the polyfill has probably burnt off, I cannot drip nearly as much juice in there as the first drop. Is this normal? whether with this car or a standard 510 cart?
Fit,

What you describe is absolutely normal. As time goes by the filler becomes "greasy", as discussed with the MHM cart mod, where I just toss the plug after a while. Because these hold 2ml (when new) tossing the plug is tossing a lot or liquid as well. When the filler performance has dropped significantly, flip the plug end for end and vape it dry, then toss it. If you notice that liquid has collected at the other end, flip it again, you will know when to toss it.

Vaping dry is done slowly as to not burn the poly. You will not get all the liquid out of the cart, it is normal to have about 1/3 left in the batting, which as you know represents about 10-12 drops.

During this time, well the atty is seasoning and getting dirty as well. Its wickability will greatly reduce over time. We like to extend the life of our attys as much as we can, but the cold hard truth is that attys are a semi-disposable item with a life expectancy of 2-3 weeks. Many toss 'em at this point. I don't, but many do.

The "purist" will toss attys quicker than we can say Jack Robinson. As you know I rotate my attys and many are as old as 6 months. They do not all perform the same. When they no longer perform, I clean them. If they still perform lousy, I clean them again and stash them in the semi-dead pile for emergencies.

Closing back on track, because I had vaped an 801 and 302 in the past, I knew outside of the carrying capacity of the cart the vape would not satisfy me, and passed on purchasing them. Once I get home the atty will be cleaned and ferreted away for occasions where they might be needed again.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Great review Switched...very informative. Of course I shouldn't be surprised you are after all, from the maritimes :D
I've had my mega atty's and carts for about a week now and I must say I am thoroughly enjoying them. At first I was unsure as to how much liquid they would actually hold, and how well they would wick my liquids, but as with anything new it takes a little time to get used to it.
My carts are holding between 40-50 drops with PG based liquids, but less with VG based. Most of my Vg liquids are very thick and the mega cart doesn't allow the thicker liquid to seep down all through the cart when filling, and also does not seem to wick as well.
I'm getting more throat hit and flavor with the mega atty/carts compared to the reg eGo atty, 510, or M601 atty/carts. I'm also getting most of a full days vaping from one filled mega cart. Combine this with the longevity of the eGo battery and it's all I need...well...except for a shrubbery :)
Just my :2c:
... and that is to be expected. We need to remember that VG was something we do. Vaping started out with PG, although some VG was found in limited qty in some liquids (reports). If you mix your own cutting your VG 4/1 with distilled water will give you the consistency of Dekang liquid which flows well.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Fit,

What you describe is absolutely normal. As time goes by the filler becomes "greasy", as discussed with the MHM cart mod, where I just toss the plug after a while. Because these hold 2ml (when new) tossing the plug is tossing a lot or liquid as well. When the filler performance has dropped significantly, flip the plug end for end and vape it dry, then toss it. If you notice that liquid has collected at the other end, flip it again, you will know when to toss it.

Vaping dry is done slowly as to not burn the poly. You will not get all the liquid out of the cart, it is normal to have about 1/3 left in the batting, which as you know represents about 10-12 drops.

During this time, well the atty is seasoning and getting dirty as well. Its wickability will greatly reduce over time. We like to extend the life of our attys as much as we can, but the cold hard truth is that attys are a semi-disposable item with a life expectancy of 2-3 weeks. Many toss 'em at this point. I don't, but many do.

The "purist" will toss attys quicker than we can say Jack Robinson. As you know I rotate my attys and many are as old as 6 months. They do not all perform the same. When they no longer perform, I clean them. If they still perform lousy, I clean them again and stash them in the semi-dead pile for emergencies.

Closing back on track, because I had vaped an 801 and 302 in the past, I knew outside of the carrying capacity of the cart the vape would not satisfy me, and passed on purchasing them. Once I get home the atty will be cleaned and ferreted away for occasions where they might be needed again.

I'll need to get some poly fill material soon.. I didn't have time this weekend. Anything that is flame ......ant right? well that's similar to the stock polyfill in these carts now? I wonder if there's been any cart mods yet with these Mega Carts yet...

it's just been super frustrating considering the great performance I got the first couple of days, still better than the standard 510 carto's though

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I'll need to get some poly fill material soon.. I didn't have time this weekend. Anything that is flame ......ant right? well that's similar to the stock polyfill in these carts now? I wonder if there's been any cart mods yet with these Mega Carts yet...

it's just been super frustrating considering the great performance I got the first couple of days, still better than the standard 510 carto's though

Hey...

I've cart modded to white fluval- it doesn't work as well as the polyfill on the eGoMega setup.

In this case, it seems that polyfill is the winner with the carts I've tried. Generally speaking, the fluval is too porous for a plug that large. Over a long period of vaping it just dumps into the atty.

I have found that when replacing the polyfill I can do a looser pack and the slow wicking issues seem to disappear.

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada

Wrong, it must NOT, repeat NOT be flame ......ant which is an added chemical to make it flame ......ant and one you DO NOT want to vape.

Fitdiculous

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2010
Milton, Ontario
Wrong, it must NOT, repeat NOT be flame ......ant which is an added chemical to make it flame ......ant and one you DO NOT want to vape.

lol, my bad... must've been high on ejuice when you told me at the meet :laugh:

I went into Fabricland today and asked them about what I thought looked/felt exactly what the polyfill was and asked if it was flame ......ant. They said NOTHING in their store was flame ......ant .... makes sense for vaping purposes.. I was just thinking I wanted something flame ......ant so the polyfill won't catch on fire, but that won't happen now will it? :2cool:

so I asked them what kind of material it was and they just said it was polyester ... hence the name "POLYfill" I suppose? anything else I should look out for when purchasing this stuff?

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
lol, my bad... must've been high on ejuice when you told me at the meet :laugh:

I went into Fabricland today and asked them about what I thought looked/felt exactly what the polyfill was and asked if it was flame ......ant. They said NOTHING in their store was flame ......ant .... makes sense for vaping purposes.. I was just thinking I wanted something flame ......ant so the polyfill won't catch on fire, but that won't happen now will it? :2cool:

so I asked them what kind of material it was and they just said it was polyester ... hence the name "POLYfill" I suppose? anything else I should look out for when purchasing this stuff?
Ya crack the bag open and smell it, it shouldn't smell :)

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
Hi Switched and as always a nice review. I have been messing around with the mega atty and cartridge for a few days now and trying to get to the nutz with these things with some help from this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/112291-blue-foam-roll-mod.html and some other threads. I hope you don't mind me going just a bit the other way with the whole set up. It probably has something to do with my newness (almost 4 months analog free) :) The only reason I bought the Ego, about a month ago,was because some "CAT" kept preaching how good it was :laugh: Then some husband and wife team put the kit on sale for 49.99.:D The Ego saved me from cartomizers. I got some regular and l.r. attys for it. Finally I taste the flavor. Don't get me wrong, the cartomizers did me right for almost 3 months and I swore by them. But now that I see what I have been missing with the flavor difference I'm hooked on attys for awhile. Now with the mega attys it gives me some time to put off the over hundred dollar purchase on a bottom feeder. It's taken about 5 days to get them to where they work for me anyway. I'm using the blue foam for now and it's doing very well. I get lots of vapor with regular and l.r. attys and lots of vapor with the mega as well.(510) I won't go into how I do everything here because it's in the thread link if your interested. Just wanted to throw my 50 cents into the pot.:toast: you got style dude !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread