The Stick (first impressions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
After seeing this device reviewed by several people, I just knew I had to have one. The reasons are as follows:

Although it comes with a standard JoyE 302 atomizer, it will accept the BE112 and 801 atomizers, as well as the 510 with an adapter. During the review the stock atty is apparently difficult to get properly seated. I did not find this to be the case on mine.

It comes with 320 mah batteries, when compared with the 510s @ 180 mah, that was a plus.

It is slightly bigger than a USB. It is nice and compact and the cartridge only prodruces from the box 1 inch. Overall dimensions are 3" L x 1" W x 11/16" thick for the unit and 4" L to the tip of the cart (with the 302 atty).

It looks slick and could be passed off as a "personal medical vaporizer" without any difficulty, while in public. Nobody (the average Joe) should ever mistake it for what it truely is. Stealth vaping should not present a problem.

The review
As usual it came in a nice box (recyclable for future use for our dodads. The box conatined:

The unit
2 10440 protected batteries rated at 320 mah
1 JoyE 302 attomizer and tip
5 spare carts (Marlboro)
1 USB cable to charge the batteries
1 user manual
1 Belt clip case, that accepts not only the unit but the atty.

The unit comes ready to go. Since there was no special instructions wrt the batteries, I slid one into the battery compartment. I inserted the attomizer without any difficulty and inserted a pre-filled cart after priming the atty with a couple of drops of PG.

There was no foul taste as some have experienced with new attys. The Marlboro cart was relatively good, all things considered, since I am not a fan of Marlboro e-juice.

The unit is well built and the button only a slight protrusion and has enough stifness that it should not accidently go off in your pocket. The button can de depressed from either the top with your index finger or the bottom with your thumb. The latter is the proper way to activate the unit and the units compactness permits stealth vaping in this fashion. I do not have big hands and I have no problem concealling the unit while vaping. Concealling the unit does not add any discomfort what so ever.

Although the unit performed well with the pre-filled carts, decent TH and vapour, it lacked when I vaped my own juices. I decided to measure the resistance across the atty and found it to be 3.7 Ohms, not surprising.

When compared to the 510, the stock atty and unit do not become hot, even with chain vaping. This was a known fact at the time of purchase and hence why I orderd some 801s and BE112s which have a proven track record. The vapour is also relatively cool when compared against a 510.

The draw on the unit was nice and easy, a little too easy for my liking, but it might be something I get use to. I can't wait to try it with different atty combination and especially a low resistance 510.

A nice feature wrt charging the unit, the battery can remain in the unit when charging through the USB port on any PC. This unit can also be recharge from any suitable USB charger. Because the battery remains incapsulated, the unit can be used as a passthru while charging @ 3.7V, something I did not know at the time of purchase but was contained in the user's manual. The unit vapes well while plugged into a USB wall adapter. That being the case, it should also perform well while travelling in a vehicle.

The cartridge size like any pen style carts can hold allot of liquid. The carts performed well with the stock batting and to date I have seen no reason to modify the filler.

Dripping on this unit with the stock atty is OK, but not anything to write home about. This was also mentioned in the review I had seen. The down side to dripping with this unit, you have to drip either using the tip that comes with the atty or a T tip. The 302 atty only protrudes 3/16" pass the body of the unit.

First Impressions

The unit is slick and priced right, $71 USD shipped to Canada. It performs as expected. The attomizer is becoming seasoned and improving with age. I still do not like this atomizer and once I receive my remaining harware will retire this one as a spare. This was a known fact prior to purchase.

Some dis-advantages besides the attomizer, it should have come with a spare attomizer. Care must be taken when replacing the battery not to loose the battery cover. The plus side - these covers are available as spare parts. The battery is relatively simple to replace, once the atty has been removed from the unit. The latter is an inconvenience rather than a negative.

I will follow up with a complete review in a couple of weeks. My first impressions are that this is a well built and decently priced unit. Once the proper atty combination is found, I have no doubt this unit will be a good performer.

The other reason I purchased the unit (besides keeping all my parts interchangeable) is once the availability of low resistance attys (1.2 -1.5 Ohms) becomes wide spread - this unit with low resistance attys performs like a 5V.

Attachments

• JOYE Stick Starter Kit.jpg
    JOYE Stick Starter Kit.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 129

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Well.I got my hardware order today and my adapters. Screwed on the 801-510 adapter ans yeah, the stick now rocks. I haven't put it through it's paces yet, but the 510 atty sure makes a difference. I also ordered some 801, that are supposed to be the same as a 302. Their soaking as we speak, to get rid of the packing fluid. They used lot's of it and I'm not too fussy about the faint smell. We will see what develops there.

But yeah the 510 and the stick were meant for each other.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Although it comes with a standard JoyE 302 atomizer, it will accept the BE112 and 801 atomizers, as well as the 510 with an adapter. During the review the stock atty is apparently difficult to get properly seated. I did not find this to be the case on mine.

I am not a fan of the 302 nor the 801 atomizers. I had pre-ordered a bunch of 801s and although I gave them an honest try, I simply do not like them @ 3.7V. That being said, I will not purchase any BE112s.

The 801 runs cooler and provides a "wetter" vape. To some, this is more desirable when compared to the 510. Some state that the flvour comes out more from an 801 when compared to the 510. I found it was the opposite. In all fairness to the 801, the 801 at 5V performs like a champ.

It comes with 320 mah batteries, when compared with the 510s @ 180 mah, that was a plus.

What can I say, 10440 batteries are AAAs. Although they have nearly twice the capacity of a stock 510 battery, they are not a market favourite. They provide a decent vape out of the gate, but performance drops rapidly thereafter.

It is slightly bigger than a USB. It is nice and compact and the cartridge only protrudes from the box 1 inch. Overall dimensions are 3" L x 1" W x 11/16" thick for the unit and 4" L to the tip of the cart (with the 302 atty).

It looks slick and could be passed off as a "personal medical vaporizer" without any difficulty, while in public. Nobody (the average Joe) should ever mistake it for what it truly is. Stealth vaping should not present a problem.

The size makes this device ideal for stealth vaping situations. It is always in my pocket. I use the 801-510 adapter on mine which only added an extra 3/8", which is insignificant.

The unit is well built and the button only a slight protrusion and has enough stiffness that it should not accidentally go off in your pocket. The button can de depressed from either the top with your index finger or the bottom with your thumb.

Some have reported problems with the button, not hitting every time. To date this has not been an issue.

Although the unit performed well with the pre-filled carts, decent TH and vapour, it lacked when I vaped my own juices. I decided to measure the resistance across the atty and found it to be 3.7 Ohms, not surprising.

When compared to the 510, the stock atty and unit do not become hot, even with chain vaping. This was a known fact at the time of purchase and hence why I ordered 801s and BE112s which have a proven track record. The vapour is also relatively cool when compared against a 510.

The draw on the unit was nice and easy, a little too easy for my liking, but it might be something I get use to. I can't wait to try it with different atty combination and especially a low resistance 510.

The draw with the 801 did not improve, I found it too "airy". Although the 801-510 improved this. it is still a little "airy".

The cartridge size like any pen style carts can hold allot of liquid. The carts performed well with the stock batting and to date I have seen no reason to modify the filler.

I did modify the carts utilizing the HighPing plug. Although this has been the method I used for all my carts (510) it proved inadequate with the 801, whether the latter was used with a high or low bridge. It seemed that I would get good vapour production with a fresh cart, but that it would trail off after 5-6 hits. This has not been the case with the 510 carts.

An improvement to the HP mod was to use it in combination with the straw/plug method. Although the latter has proven satisfactory, it is not something I would write home about.

Dripping on this unit with the stock atty is OK, but not anything to write home about. This was also mentioned in the review I had seen. The down side to dripping with this unit, you have to drip either using the tip that comes with the atty or a T tip. The 302 atty only protrudes 3/16" pass the body of the unit.

Although dripping with this unit can be done, the use of liquids with less than a 30% VG ratio creates a mess.

First Impressions

The unit is slick and priced right, $71 USD shipped to Canada. It performs as expected. The atomizer is becoming seasoned and improving with age. I still do not like this atomizer and once I receive my remaining hardware will retire this one as a spare. This was a known fact prior to purchase.

Some folks like the 302/801 atomizers, I don't, not at 3.7 Volts.

I will follow up with a complete review in a couple of weeks. My first impressions are that this is a well built and decently priced unit. Once the proper atty combination is found, I have no doubt this unit will be a good performer.

I like my stick with the 510 atty. I see myself using it with an 801 and certain liquids for a more relaxed evening vape while sitting in front of the idiot box.

For folks that are handy, one can make a "stick" for a fraction of the cost (< $15). A double AA battery box is only slightly bigger. It can be fitted with the atomizer conenction of choice, which in turn precludes the use of adapters. The double AA battery box will accept a 14500 battery rated at 900 mAh. This nearly tripples battery life.

The Janty or JoyE stick is a good value for moderate vapers. For folks who are moderately capable a "stick" with better battery life can be created for under $15.

• it is compact 4/5;
  • it looks slick and hence can be vaped in formal settings 5/5; and
  • can be used as a passthru, at 3.7V 3/5.
It is a nice compact device that is sleek looking and can be used for stealth vaping where situations warrant this activity. A better battery and atomizer would make this unit a real winner 3/5.

If you still plan on using the LR 510 atty with the JS, you might want to make sure you have some extra 10440s around, Switched. That's an awful lot of current draw on a 320 mah battery.
Richie,

The LRs were tested on this device briefly, only to see how an LR atty would perform. I had a feeling battery life would be short, which is a predominant negative of a AAA batteries in general.

As stated above, a simple battery box mod utilizing a 14500 battery outshines the "stick" in many departments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread