eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
So I've been running my Titatnium coil for 4 weeks nows...weekly wicking with muji cotton and cleaning with water.

Tastes a bit muted....could it be done already? Running at 18.5W for 420F max in TC mod with a DNA75. Now reading 0.72 ohms instead of the stock 0.5 ohms, maybe because I struggled with wicking in the early weeks and may have mutated the coil by using too much cotton ;).

Maybe time to change?

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
So I've been running my Titatnium coil for 4 weeks nows...weekly wicking with muji cotton and cleaning with water.

Tastes a bit muted....could it be done already? Running at 18.5W for 420F max in TC mod with a DNA75. Now reading 0.72 ohms instead of the stock 0.5 ohms, maybe because I struggled with wicking in the early weeks and may have mutated the coil by using too much cotton ;).

Maybe time to change?

My experience with kanthal ohms in a clr coil head will increase if the coil gets distorted when pulling the cotton wick out if i stuffed too much in there when re wicking so i just make another coil and try to be more careful in wicking.
The rba's like the ares i use along with them are a little more forgiving using a heavier gauge wire.
If coil is distorted enough that could be the reason for the jump in ohms another reason could be if coil is really caked up a lot that's with kanthal do not know much about other wire types but assume its the same .

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Some more observations.

Rewicked my new titanium coil, showing 0.79 ohms on a dna 75. I suppose it never was 0.5 ohms. I get some dry hits occasionally when chain vaping, perhaps I need more cotton?

Rebuilt an older titanium with pre made ss 316 and taste is very muted. Maybe its the cheapo chinese coil? Have to vape in tc as it dry hits like crazy in wattage mode...at 30 w. Mod reads it at 0.66 ohms. I wish it was more flavourful.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Some more observations.

Rewicked my new titanium coil, showing 0.79 ohms on a dna 75. I suppose it never was 0.5 ohms. I get some dry hits occasionally when chain vaping, perhaps I need more cotton?

Rebuilt an older titanium with pre made ss 316 and taste is very muted. Maybe its the cheapo chinese coil? Have to vape in tc as it dry hits like crazy in wattage mode...at 30 w. Mod reads it at 0.66 ohms. I wish it was more flavourful.
Hard to tell for sure, but I think you’re pumping too many watts through that SS coil.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
My thought is that you have TOO much wicking, Drop. You might want to try a thinner piece o' cottone.
Possible too. I wick fairly tight in the coil, but the stock CLR wick was way too tight.

Still think that it’s more likely too much power, tho.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Some more observations.

Since the last rebuild is giving you burnt taste if i may suggest rewick it as the cotton under the coil may have been singed and no longer good to use.
Then set mod to 14w as a starting point to vape it and work your way from there as it should not give a burnt taste at that wattage setting is the hope.
Please post back what happens if you decide that route.
Thanks

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Some more observations.

Since we can't dry burn a titaninum coil I use a few q-tips(carefully) to remove as much of the burned stuff as I can. And even run a small piece of cotton through the coil to remove any from there. My thinking is that if you just rinse and the water isn't hot enough that it may harden the burned on soot and not remove as much and may result in it tasting a little burnt. Just my 2 pennies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Since we can't dry burn a titaninum coil I use a few q-tips(carefully) to remove as much of the burned stuff as I can. And even run a small piece of cotton through the coil to remove any from there. My thinking is that if you just rinse and the water isn't hot enough that it may harden the burned on soot and not remove as much and may result in it tasting a little burnt. Just my 2 pennies.
I use these these to help with cleaning coils and tanks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0115SLLLM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found a size that is perfect for a 2.5mm ID coil.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Whatever happened ?
Oops, I rewicked both titanium and the rebuilt stainless steel coils.

Not sure if I had more or less cotton, but dry hits are gone. I feel perhaps I had too little cotton, the wicks were pretty loose in the coils.

Am planning on rebuilding the stainless steel one again...I feel the coil is too big and perhaps 2mm would be better. I think stock coils are 2mm...way too much popping and crackling at present size.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Oops, I rewicked both titanium and the rebuilt stainless steel coils.

Not sure if I had more or less cotton, but dry hits are gone. I feel perhaps I had too little cotton, the wicks were pretty loose in the coils.

Am planning on rebuilding the stainless steel one again...I feel the coil is too big and perhaps 2mm would be better. I think stock coils are 2mm...way too much popping and crackling at present size.
Sounds like too much juice is sittin on the coil of the ss. Rewick with a little more cotton inside the coil and thin the tails if too thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread