Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Marion In USA
The answer is pretty much the EVOD and other kanger Ego devices. Those are IMO some of the best devices you can get and they will handle everything an APV can throw at it. You can even go subohm on them. The Protank exists because of the lack of an ego thread on many APVs.

Personally I am a fan of the Ego thread even on full size APVs, I like the security and strength of the larger threads. Absolutely not a dealbreaker though.

I kinda feel the same way. Not to sure what I would do if I couldn't use my MDCC. Oh yeah just get the ones with 510 connections. But seriously I do have a couple of adapters so I can use Ego's on any device I own.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
The answer is pretty much the EVOD and other kanger Ego devices.

That's it.

I also like the way things sit on top of mods more securely when using the ego threads, definitely gives more stability.

Many people also simply do NOT like tanks w/cartos. I had them for less than 3 days and knew it wasn't for me. :)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
well FWIW, the provari head is a single chunk of stainless and ego would drastically change the durability of the 510 connector
if you look at the dripwell it is not very deep but the 510 connection goes well into the head. this makes the 510 connector almost impossible to snap off (provari= durability first) unlike many devices where this piece comes loose or is pressfit.
and making the well deep enough on the outside would also make the 510 lug weaker as well as the problem of actually milling a clean thread onto the headtube without being able to remove it.

the ego devices are becoming more popular, but it would basically ruin some of the strength of the pv adding it now.

so the choice is basically would you rather bust the 5 dollar device or the 200 dollar device.

Many people also simply do NOT like tanks w/cartos. I had them for less than 3 days and knew it wasn't for me.
trying to figure out what that has to do with anything, i own 3 provaris and never touched a carto tank in my life.

Last edited:

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
well FWIW, the provari head is a single chunk of stainless and ego would drastically change the durability of the 510 connector
if you look at the dripwell it is not very deep but the 510 connection goes well into the head. this makes the 510 connector almost impossible to snap off (provari= durability first) unlike many devices where this piece comes loose or is pressfit.
and making the well deep enough on the outside would also make the 510 lug weaker as well as the problem of actually milling a clean thread onto the headtube without being able to remove it.

the ego devices are becoming more popular, but it would basically ruin some of the strength of the pv adding it now.

so the choice is basically would you rather bust the 5 dollar device or the 200 dollar device.
I was thinking the same thing, you would loose some of the strength on Mods that have a one peice top. Almost every device I own screws down flush with the top. I can't see how having a 1/2 inch of male threads sticking out of the top would make it more stable. I would like to see a larger diameter 510 type connection though.

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
Ego threads on a provari would do one of two things

either

A. Make it ugly with any normal 510 if it wasn't recessed into the device

or

B. Make the whole device bigger if it was recessed. The provari is much smaller than most 18*** vv's or vv/VW's by battery size and that's a good thing.

That's what switched my opinion when I previously argued for a native ego threaded Provari.
One of the great features of the Provari Mini is it's pocketability. If it had to grow longer to accommodate a native ego thread then it would detract from the portability.

If they could do an ego thread without extending the length, I'd buy one, but as it stands I'll just use the kludgy adaptors when necessary.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I don't care about VW, but if ProVape added eGo threading I would be all over it!
I couldn't agree more :) It's really frustrating for a potential buyer like me since their is so much to like about the ProVari and I'm sincere when I say this. I have a huge assortment of T2's and replacement heads. Great solution for part of my day. The mother ship sells an eGo to 510 adapter but why should I? Convice me with a pic of a T2 on top of a vari? Ugly? Not sure? Please! Due these adapters even work and due they affect the hit/vape? Finally, why would I ever want to limit any future purchases to 510 tanks? That restricts my ability to choose the very best technology across BOTH 510 and eGo threading.

The other issue for me is the lack of an OLED screen. I could even live with the wonky antiquated way to many clicks of the UI/OS since my Zmax V5 suffers from the same antiquated and poorly designed UI but at least it has an OLED screen. Obviously the Zmax does not compare with respect to build quality, QC, warranty, service, US made etc. How about the Vamo 3 which already has a center post defect and poor QC. No thanks BUT it has an OLED screen and the very very best UI I have seen. ONE CLICK to raise or lower the watts.

My hope and prayer is that version 3 of the vari fixes some of these serious omissions for a first time buyer. I think they will and then I'm all in for at least two of them. PLEASE, I'm not bashing the vari, just saying what my experience and pragmatic view of the ecig universe is. I really want the company to continue to succeed and maintain their gold standard position when the bubble bursts but as I'm sure the mother ship knows all to well, you can't due that unless your features attract NEW user purchases.

Good luck to all :)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Im trying to understand what so terribly horrible about using an adapter? its not like it puts the clearo 3 inches above the provari head.
Convice me with a pic of a T2 on top of a vari? Ugly? Not sure? Please!
I used my T2's and 3's all the time with the provari when i still used clearos.
P7280092.jpg
P7270090.jpg
P7280093.jpg
P7280094.jpg

The other issue for me is the lack of an OLED screen.

not sure why people need this in a pv,, hard to read in sunlight and wont stand up to moisture, its not a phone, you need to look at the screen for 8 seconds to change voltage not check your email. no offense but looking at what pv's are made to do.I dont understand the need to make the screen fancy.

something with an obvious disadvantage isnt something they would put on a provari if it had potential to drive up warranty repairs.

Last edited:

Harplayr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Florida
I couldn't agree more :) It's really frustrating for a potential buyer like me since their is so much to like about the ProVari and I'm sincere when I say this. I have a huge assortment of T2's and replacement heads. Great solution for part of my day. The mother ship sells an eGo to 510 adapter but why should I? Convice me with a pic of a T2 on top of a vari? Ugly? Not sure? Please! Due these adapters even work and due they affect the hit/vape? Finally, why would I ever want to limit any future purchases to 510 tanks? That restricts my ability to choose the very best technology across BOTH 510 and eGo threading.

The other issue for me is the lack of an OLED screen. I could even live with the wonky antiquated way to many clicks of the UI/OS since my Zmax V5 suffers from the same antiquated and poorly designed UI but at least it has an OLED screen. Obviously the Zmax does not compare with respect to build quality, QC, warranty, service, US made etc. How about the Vamo 3 which already has a center post defect and poor QC. No thanks BUT it has an OLED screen and the very very best UI I have seen. ONE CLICK to raise or lower the watts.

My hope and prayer is that version 3 of the vari fixes some of these serious omissions for a first time buyer. I think they will and then I'm all in for at least two of them. PLEASE, I'm not bashing the vari, just saying what my experience and pragmatic view of the ecig universe is. I really want the company to continue to succeed and maintain their gold standard position when the bubble bursts but as I'm sure the mother ship knows all to well, you can't due that unless your features attract NEW user purchases.

Good luck to all :)

See the bolded for your answer.

Things like oled, and menu system pale in comparison to the performance, reliability, build quality and ability to send it back for repair if necessary.

I'm really tired of gimmicky mods that crap out after a couple of months use. My junk pile is big enough.

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Nothing ugly about this.. just get an adapter

It would be nice if the next version had a flat top, the slanted top is beginning to look kinda dated IMO. I doubt ego cone threading will be added though. If they're not going to change to a flat top, I wish they would sell pro-rings. (I need 3)

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The other issue for me is the lack of an OLED screen.
My hope and prayer is that version 3 of the vari fixes some of these serious omissions for a first time buyer. I think they will and then I'm all in for at least two of them.

The Provari is designed top to bottom to be durable. OLED screens are more fragile than the LED screen that the Provari currently uses, and are not water/juice proof. The Provari can be dunked completely in water and will continue to work once it has had the opportunity to dry out. Using an OLED screen would not allow this.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
@Thrasher - Thanks so much for the pics. Point taken and the T2 looks great on the vari. Not so much on the other pic from @donnah (thanks) but that's just me or the look of the basic clearo.

On the OLED screen issue: It's actually easier to see/read in the bright sunlight since it's a black backround with white type but I respect your thoughts. HOWEVER, if the OLED screen technology is flawed as stated in some way please point me to some independent sources that support this thought?? Fragile? Flawed? Water proof? I looked but no luck. Sure the Vamo OLED screen is dipping by a degree or two and as I stated the QC and build on this device is shall we politely say lacking. What I'm concerned with is flaws in this technology so please help me understand it. :)

Finally and respectfully trying to keep the thread on topic, I have to ask. You folks love and use your vari. Your evangelists and I understand this and respect it. I don't have any problem with this. However and I don't want to jump to conclusions, I get the feeling that the installed user base thinks their is no need for improvements/tweaks via a V3? Certainly, their must be something/feature you would like to see in the next version? So? Maybe not to your liking but a delicate balance that keeps the installed base happy BUT brings new buyers into the fold? Today and in the future. Today and when the bubble bursts?

Last edited:

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
If they can't get something as simple as an OLED screen (the center piece of the Mod) straight, what other QC issues did they miss. Easier to read in the sunlight? Have you held the two screens up in the sunlight? The contrast is great in doors, that doesn't change the fact that it will still wash out and be hard to read in bright sunlight. Has nothing to do with contrasting colors but how the screen is back lit. This has been a complaint about OLED screens since they started using them in devices. I had a very expensive tech diving computer. Really pretty OLED screen, a real b!tch to read on the surface because the screen washed out. I doubt they have some how fixed this on a $60 APV

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
just searching for the phrase "water can damage oled" brought up several dozen links.

but on wiki some of the headers under "disadvantages" include:
Color balance issues

Water damage -
'Water can damage the organic materials of the displays. Therefore, improved sealing processes are important for practical manufacturing. Water damage may especially limit the longevity

Outdoor performance-
"an OLED acts as a mirror, with reflectance approaching 80%, leading to poor readability in bright ambient light such as outdoors"

Power consumption-
While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD: however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices when white backgrounds are used.

while they list many advantages to using oled in mobile devices, in an APV built for durability the use of oled would be counter productive.
in another model where looks outwieght durability i can see it but bells and whistles arent what the provari is known or bought for.

even in the brightest sunlight (im in central Florida and it doesnt get any brighter) i can read my red provari no problems. the blue was a bit faded.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
@Thrasher - Thank you. Very educational. A fasinating read about the various pluses and minuses of an OLED screen.

...while they list many advantages to using oled in mobile devices, in an APV built for durability the use of oled would be counter productive. in another model where looks outwieght durability i can see it but bells and whistles arent what the provari is known or bought for.

Points taken. I get it :) Should we call Ripleys for a believe it or not moment? LOL No need to lock the thread. Perhaps a little snarky stuff but thats to be exspected. :)

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
You definitely wouldn't be the first one to get sucked into the perceived superiority of a newer technology over an older one. Its human nature and we are all guilty of it. Look at the resurgence of large format photography and contact printing, a technology that has all but died out because of the perceived superiority of digital photography. Unfortunately the companies that manufactured the cut film and chemicals required for the processing are no more. People were more concerned with possibilities of the new technology without considering what would be lost in the transition. New technologies always have their place and will always fill a need; it's just a rare occasion when they can completely supplant an older one.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
@Leithan - point taken and I agree. I'm a little out of my comfort zone however another example is the Windows OS. Just because it's new doesn't make it better. I skipped Vista and migrated from XP to Win7. Thank you very much but I see no compelling reason to move to Win8 and could tick off reasons why it's sales are flat/horrible. :)

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
@Leithan - point taken and I agree. I'm a little out of my comfort zone however another example is the Windows OS. Just because it's new doesn't make it better. I skipped Vista and migrated from XP to Win7. Thank you very much but I see no compelling reason to move to Win8 and could tick off reasons why it's sales are flat/horrible. :)
I'm with ya, I don't see how any Windows OS after XP has been an improvement. Win8 deserves it's own little corner of hell. I mean how often have you found your self wishing your Cellphone worked more like your computer..........how many times have you wished your computer worked more like your cellphone, ya good call there Microsoft.:facepalm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread