EHPRO Kayfun Lite + Leaking Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
Hi guys,

I've had my EHPRO KFL+ for a week now and it's been causing me nothing but headaches. I've remedied most of the issues I've had with it so far (driptip o-rings too small, wicking issues, etc) but the biggest issue I have with it is still ruining my days.

I'm getting MASSIVE leaks out of the side airflow hole and I have no idea how it's happening or how exactly to stop it. On each day, it seems to work decently fine without leaks and after about a dozen hits or so, it leaks profusely out of the airhole. I've went to the most reputable vape shop in my area to see if they had any input and they tinkered with my device for a while to find out if they could fix it. They played around with the airhole a bit (found that the airdraw was being abnormally tight and fixed it) and played around with the 510 connector and it seemed like they fixed it!...until two hours later where it began to completely leak out my juice in my car.

My wicking build looks fine and all my o-rings are on correctly. Any input on what might be causing this or how I may remedy the situation? Overall this device is seeming like more trouble than it's worth so far. I've had to bring my bottles with me when I go out just in case it leaks again and I want to save precious juice.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yes, pics, please.

It could be your coil is too close to the air hole or it could be that you're drawing harder than the tank vacuum can compensate for (it pulls the juice back into the tank after you stop drawing and might be weaker than the suction you're applying by drawing, thus flooding the inner chamber).

This, of course, is presuming that your chimney o-ring is not the culprit (another form of tank vacuum failure) - you mention that you've got your o-rings sorted - and your wicks are not failing.

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
Thanks for the response

IMG_20140216_0347151.jpg

IMG_20140216_0348371.jpg

IMG_20140216_0347281.jpg

IMG_20140216_0347501.jpg

IMG_20140216_0347401.jpg

IMG_20140216_0347281.jpg

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Okay, I know I will probably be thoroughly chastised for this suggestion, but I'm going to make it anyway...

I've often seen it recommended to cut the wick tails as short as you have them there (just barely brushing the deck), but i tend to get leaking and gurgling as well if I make them that short. I make them a bit longer (and maybe a tad less thick), and then do the sort of zig-zag tuck after I put the chimney on. Not so long that I have to cram them in there, but long enough so that it really fills up the bottom of the chamber when they expand with the liquid. I'm using cotton balls rather than yarn, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, but it might be worth a try?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Hi guys,

I've had my EHPRO KFL+ for a week now and it's been causing me nothing but headaches. I've remedied most of the issues I've had with it so far (driptip o-rings too small, wicking issues, etc) but the biggest issue I have with it is still ruining my days.

I'm getting MASSIVE leaks out of the side airflow hole and I have no idea how it's happening or how exactly to stop it. On each day, it seems to work decently fine without leaks and after about a dozen hits or so, it leaks profusely out of the airhole. I've went to the most reputable vape shop in my area to see if they had any input and they tinkered with my device for a while to find out if they could fix it. They played around with the airhole a bit (found that the airdraw was being abnormally tight and fixed it) and played around with the 510 connector and it seemed like they fixed it!...until two hours later where it began to completely leak out my juice in my car.

My wicking build looks fine and all my o-rings are on correctly. Any input on what might be causing this or how I may remedy the situation? Overall this device is seeming like more trouble than it's worth so far. I've had to bring my bottles with me when I go out just in case it leaks again and I want to save precious juice.
This blog by my friend State O'Flux may very well help you resolve this issue:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-kayfun-air-vent-leaking-thread-response.html

When the pressure seal in the topper is lost, we will all get leaking from the air hole and/or into a collector tank. This can be reduced or eliminated though. No point rewriting what SOF has so elegantly written. Good luck!

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Looks like it's a little tight too. Seems a bit dark at coil.. doesn't make sense to be that dark if you've been having leaks+troubleshooting. It's harder to tell if those are shoulders from the wick being too tight, or if that is from it being as large as it is. I love thick coils, but I get perfection using 2mm diameters for coils.

I wanted to see your wick wells. From what I can tell in the pictures, they don't look too big at all.

Less wick.. leave it long and tuck in tails on base after evaporation chamber is put on.. coil 1-2mm above airhole. I cut my wick to where it just brushes the deck when dry, but I've had a lot of practice. I started by using the little zigzag.. similar to Truman's style, without having wick tails rest beside coil.

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
I followed your guys' advice and lowered the coil a bit so that the cotton is making more contact with the base and it looks like it's doing alot better. I've went one full day without a leak so far which is a longer period than it's gone before! I'll make an update if another incident happens but for now thanks alot guys! Didn't realize something so simple would have fixed my issue :)

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
Okay, I know I will probably be thoroughly chastised for this suggestion, but I'm going to make it anyway...

I've often seen it recommended to cut the wick tails as short as you have them there (just barely brushing the deck), but i tend to get leaking and gurgling as well if I make them that short. I make them a bit longer (and maybe a tad less thick), and then do the sort of zig-zag tuck after I put the chimney on. Not so long that I have to cram them in there, but long enough so that it really fills up the bottom of the chamber when they expand with the liquid. I'm using cotton balls rather than yarn, not sure if that makes a difference.

I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, but it might be worth a try?

YES!!!!! Long and thin! Zig zag method sounds exactly what I do. Fill up those sides with as much cotton as possible with out packing it in---works great for me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roflwaffles

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2014
United States
Alright fellas, more problems arose tonight. This device will give me high blood pressure.

I went to refill my device with different e-juice so I poured the remainder of the e-juice from today back to the bottle and tried to fill it up with another juice. The juice wasn't going into the bottom fill airhole for some reason unless the top part of my device was off (not sure why, probably a vacuum issue?). When I tried putting juice in the bottom fillhole when everything was threaded together nice and tight, the juice would just stay at the insertion area without going down into the tank unless I unscrewed the top. Does this occur for anyone else?

I tried doing a top fill but I was having wicking issues and leaking again so I tried a bottom fill again...where when I screwed out the fill screw, my screw's o-ring broke :(. Is there a place to get replacement o-rings for the screw? None of the o-rings that came with my device are that tiny. I'm assuming I'll get massive leakage from the fill screw hole if I proceed in trying to fill it again. The o-ring is only ripped at one spot so I'll try to see if tiny amounts of tape or glue can be a temporary fix.

I never thought an e-cig device would make me want to have a cigarette so badly. Sorry for all the questions guys!

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use syringes.. never had an issue.

Right, a syringe or a needle top bottle works well with these. I think when you use just a regular drip bottle, it blocks off the air escape from the tank when the dripper top is wedged into the fill hole. You can do it this way, but you have to squirt a little, then back the dripper out to let the air escape, then squirt some more, etc... till full.

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
I use a regular bottle tip to fill, pushed into the bottom fill hole trying to make a nice tight seal. Sometimes, if not pushing the bottle down enough, the juice will come back out the hole. As long as the air hole and or drip tip aren't covered by your fingers, air will be able to escape through the channels.

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
You can use a tiny bit of plumber's tape to seal off the fill screw threads. This is what I have done on my KFL clone that has no o-ring on the fill screw. It works perfectly, but I have to brush it off and re-tape it every so often as the repeated screwing and unscrewing grinds the tape down to useless after a while.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I use a regular bottle tip to fill, pushed into the bottom fill hole trying to make a nice tight seal. Sometimes, if not pushing the bottle down enough, the juice will come back out the hole. As long as the air hole and or drip tip aren't covered by your fingers, air will be able to escape through the channels.

Hm, yeah. That makes sense. For some reason it works better for me if I do remove the dripper bottle occasionally during filling, but I guess pressure build up can't be the reason. Maybe because it seems to take the juice a while to 'settle' down in the tank while I'm filling? I am using 50/50 juice, so maybe thinner liquids don't have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread