Ekowool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
I've recently heard of a different kind of silica wick called Ekowool and was wondering if anyone with a Penelope uses it. It is said to be superior in almost everyway compared to the regular silica wicks, such as flavor, temperature threshold, etc. I would like to hear some opinions on the Ekowool, preferably from someone who utilizes a Penelope.

On a related note, I recently made a post talking about my Penelope and it's flooding issues. After going through a painstaking process to find out the primary cause, it came down to the silica wick material/quality. I immediately switched from a generic silica wick to a German-made silica wick (From RTDvapor) and the difference was night and day. Not only does this German-made silica wick have better quality and flavor, it also has a greater ability to hold liquid in place under pressure, and that is very important as it prevents flooding. After switching, I've had no flooding at all after two refills.

Of course that is good news... but I would like to try out some other silica wicks out there such as the Ekowool and I've read all about it, although I can't seem to find anyone who has used it in a Penelope. Some information would be nice. Thanks.

- Dok

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have not used Ekowool in my Penelope. But I have been using cotton. Just a cotton ball unrolled and making strands cut down to fit in the Penelope. Just make sure that it's 100% cotton.

Based on what I've read about Ekowool. It seem like it would be good. But I have yet to try it. One day I will.

About the flooding issue. I realized that for me the small rubber washer/grommet that is on the bottom center post of the Penelope was too small. My solution was to take the rubber cap that comes on a CE2 atomizer and use that instead. There is even a hole in that rubber piece that fits perfect on the center post. But you may not have a CE2 lying around, especially an unused one at that, because you have to take that rubber cap off in order to use the CE2. And most likely, you throw that rubber cap in the trash.

So another option is to take your Penelope with you to the hardware store and see what kind of small rubber washers/grommets they have. With using a bigger bottom washer I've had no flooding. Another thing is...making sure that center post doesn't stick out too far on the bottom. If the washer is too small and the center bottom post is sticking out...you are more likely to damage or smash down the insulated 510 center post on your mod/ecig. That is why I use a bigger rubber washer.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Ekowool, made in russia or silica from COV that Imeo sends.

I dislike the german wick from RTD, just so you know my tastes

To each their own I guess :p I will be ordering some Ekowool to try out in the Penelope some time next week.

@Sad Society : Thanks for the input but my Penelope is not leaking through the base, rather it is leaking through the center pin hole indicating that there is flooding in the housing due to the wick not being about to hold the liquid, which I confirmed by switching to a different quality wick.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have been using Ekowool for a couple days now in my Ody. Just so you know Ekowool is a braided ( more tightly than reg silica) so its firm and doesn't fray as much. It is soft and flexible and does not swell as much. ONe thing it is wider than reg silica so if you use 3mm get the 2mm ekowool and if you use 2mm, get the 1.5 mm Ekowool. There are 2 vendors on EBay.

That said, I usually have the one strand thru the channels and one shorter one on top. With Ekowool being more dense, this makes for a wider area where you wrap your wire, so either get some thinner EKowool for the topper, or use your reg silica for the topper. It works even it thick but takes a fraction of time longer to heat up the coils.

I like it , very absorbent, nice neutral taste, very durable. I dont know if you have to, but I do torch it before use, which shrinks it a tad,and makes it stiff but you can just move it around and its soft and cottony again.

Toxik

Aug 2, 2012
hamburg
That said, I usually have the one strand thru the channels and one shorter one on top. With Ekowool being more dense, this makes for a wider area where you wrap your wire, so either get some thinner EKowool for the topper, or use your reg silica for the topper. It works even it thick but takes a fraction of time longer to heat up the coils.

I use 3mm "Guru"-silica from for the channels and make a topper with a short piece of 1mm Ekowool. Due to the braiding it does not splice up so easily when I arrange the coils.

There are different types of braided ekowool. A flat one and a type that looks almost like a rope and is more stiff.
I read somewhere that the latter would not work so good in the channels: due to the tight braiding it would not absorb enough liquid on the exposed sides.
But I never verified this myself. Your experience seems to be different , so I will give it a try one of these days.

I like it , very absorbent, nice neutral taste, very durable. I dont know if you have to, but I do torch it before use, which shrinks it a tad,and makes it stiff but you can just move it around and its soft and cottony again.

My first coil with Ekowool (Bulli A2T) tasted really horrible. I had only boiled the wick in saltwater and freshwater.
Nowadays I torch it thoroughly before using it. After that it gives the "nice neutral taste" (on Kaifun mini).

Some vendors wash out the sizing. But silica is not produced as medical- or food product. The torching hopefully gets rid of any dirt ressidues and bacteria.

Last edited:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Thank you for your information, Toxik, I will boil it now. I did not boil what Im using now, just torched it, and it had an off taste on the first build, but the other 2 did not. Maybe I torched it longer. I figure boing cant hurt, I really like it. I went ahead and ordered some 1.5 and some 1 mm also. I got 5 meters total for about 22.00? First order I got from someone in TX and the second order Im trying is coming from the UK. Both are about the same cost, just want to see if there is any difference, which there shouldnt be as I think all Ekowool is from Germany?

I ve been using silica from vaporbase, German, and its been very good. Its also very durable and neutral after boiling and torching. Only thing I like better about the Ekowool is the fact that it seems to keep its shape and does not shred or unbraid so easy. Also I can unwind the wire and it doesnt break or shed.

You might think of threading the reg silica thru the hollow Ekowool to protect it. I might try that with some 3mm Ekowool.

Stratified

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
CLT, North Cackalacky
A bunch of us got together and ordered a large amount of the available sizes directly from Russia. I got 5m of each of 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, and 3mm and it's all I've been using in all of my atty's for about a month and a half. I, too, like the RTD stuff, but this Ekowool is just awesome. This stuff's so durable, if you don't let it get frayed too much in your assembly it's liable to be usable for multiple coils.

a note on the sizes: this stuff's hollow, so the listed size is the ID (inside diameter) of the piece as opposed to the standard OD (outside diameter) we're accustomed to seeing for wick sizes. With the exception of the 1.5, they're all hollow, and can be expanded even more if you're extremely careful, though it's most likely to just unravel

The 1.5 that I like the most is a 6 stranded core of straight silica threads surrounded by the hollow, braided, 1.5; it's a bit stiffer, but seems to wick extremely well. My favorite build up to now is in my Oddy v2; I took a strand of the 1.5 and managed to thread it into a piece of the 2mm, stuffed it into the channels and it's wicking great and performing awesomely with a .9ohm coil, though I will get a little gurgle when I go from the air conditioned office out into the shop and the temp changes drastically.

I'm really looking forward to putting some into my Ithaka when it gets here from the CoV presale. Can't recommend this stuff enough.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I posted this somewhere else , cant remember.... So if I sound redundant , sorry:)

So far on day 3 with same wicks and dry burning about 5 times and eko still looks nice and white and no shredding (except a tad on the cut ends) or looking old. Im using the 2mm . I was using 3mm reg silica before. The 2mm fits perfectly in the channels of my Odysseus's. If I use the same diameter as the topper it gets a bit wide. Im waiting for some 1 and 1.5 mm to use as a topper.

It may be my idea but seems if the top wick I place on the Ody is 4mm wide , it takes a bit longer to heat up. I think if this continues to work well Im going to have to sell off the rest of my reg silica, which is great stuff , but I like how the Ekowool stays neat and doesnt wear out as quick. It also is easier to wrap the wire around. I get nice neat coils.

As far as taste or performance, I dont see a large difference. I dont think Im getting more vapour anything "better" just a cleaner, neater more rugged wick. Since its the same price , really, Im going to go with the Ekowool.

Last edited:

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Just ordered some Ekowool from the user "mr_wick," can't wait to try it out! I also saw a different kind of Ekowool on Ebay called "Twik Ekowool" or something, and it has a cotton yarn inside the hollow tube of the Ekowool. Sounds interesting.

And also found this too, Mini Rubber Washer O-Ring Set

I should get out of Ebay before I start going on a spending spree haha...

Toxik

Aug 2, 2012
hamburg
I did not boil what Im using now, just torched it, and it had an off taste on the first build, but the other 2 did not. Maybe I torched it longer.
In fact I also don't boil it anymoire, but just torch it.
Somehow it changes to silky very pure white when it is "done" :unsure:
It takes a moment, but ekowool does not become brittle, even after it glowed for a moment.

as I think all Ekowool is from Germany?
No - Ekowool is from Russia!

I bought mine here Wickelzeug - DIGITAL STEAM

It's a bit expensive in my opinion. With a bit of reasearch it's certainly possible to get a better price.
On the other hand we all want to get the real thing and not some silica somebody has decided to call ekowool allthough it's not the original brand. Please don't get me wrong I am not saying that any of the links posted here are selling "fake" ekowool, only that I am too lazy to do the research :sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread