Not open for further replies.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Nice yankee haha, we all need to change it up now and then!
I boiled mine for 10 minutes and I notice no taste. My last build was 3 strands and it took a second to heat up the coils but not really on this 2 strand build. I think the 3 strand build also gunked up faster than usual so we will see how this 2 goes. I don't mind making another build a day earlier, though.. I would rather only have to buy this yarn than silica.. it's so cheap, I love it!

My next wick I am trying will be this hemp twine I've heard about, I can't wait. A couple people told me it's better than the MS cotton hemp yarn.

Doke, I also have sterile cotton that I will probably try soon as well. I have a huge roll of it, I will have to roll a few strands and try it out. I am really in love with this yarn, though! I also feel better vaping on hemp or cotton than silica, it "feels" cleaner, but that could just be in my head, I don't know.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
P.S. for anyone interested, BJ43 had this to say about the hemp twine

Great, when you get it wash it between your fingers with dish detergent and then boil it twice. The longer you boil the softer it gets. I do two 20 minute boils and when it is dry I work it with my fingers to get it soft. Some are boiling up to 2 hours and say that removes any flavor the hemp may give. Since I only use tobaccos, I kind of like the flavor if any, hemp gives. The main advantage over the yarn is durability.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My cotton wick finally died out. Well it didn't really die per se. But the vape was getting worn out.

I just rebuilt using good ole silica I found that I forgot I had using the Mr Krinkle method. Using this method I must say that it wicks way better than other set ups I've tried. But the flavor is more muted than using cotton or Ekowool.

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
My cotton wick finally died out. Well it didn't really die per se. But the vape was getting worn out.

I just rebuilt using good ole silica I found that I forgot I had using the Mr Krinkle method. Using this method I must say that it wicks way better than other set ups I've tried. But the flavor is more muted than using cotton or Ekowool.

That's why I switched to Cotton, you will definitely notice a difference in flavor between Silica and Cotton. Silica has this slight dry moss taste to it and it doesn't go away even if you boil it, torch it, etc. Cotton is much more clean if you do it right, no particles to worry about, and it is easier to reuse the coil with cotton.

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
I have been trying to use 1mm ekowool in my protank II mini, and it's been really hit and miss. With 6 coils of 32 kanthal around 1 wick, plus 1 flavor wick (same size), I've been getting OK performance with my 80% pg juice, but 80% vg gets a lot of dry hits and poor flavor. I tried adding a little bit of DW, and the flavor improved marginally, but the wicking isn't much better. I insert a small bit of wire into the wick and wrap as recommended by some people, and I also torch the wick/coil before use. I've also tried wrapping a coil around 2 wicks (kept getting hot spots and it didn't wick well), 2 wicks and 1 flavor wick, and even 8 coils around a single wick and it's all bunk. I switched to this stuff because I kept burning my cotton, but I'm about to try switching back. Any ideas?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread