Electricity and water

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Hello,
I was thinking how about how water effects vaping devices, more precisely atomizers, coils, wicks.

So, as we know, all coils have their resistance, we pour vaping liquid on a wicked coil and the coil heats up. The electricity progressively goes through the whole wire. But what if we pour water on the coil instead of liquid? As we all know, water conducts electricity.

The question is:
If the coil is wicked with water/dumped into water, does the electricity take a shortcut, and skip the whole wire or it goes through the same process as with vaping liquid/glycerin?

Purely theoretical, thank you.

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Actually, pure water does not conduct electricity. You need ions floating around in it for it to become somewhat conductive, and even then, its conductivity is so much lower than any metal we make a coil out of that it's effectively irrelevant.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Actually, pure water does not conduct electricity. You need ions floating around in it for it to become somewhat conductive, and even then, its conductivity is so much lower than any metal we make a coil out of that it's effectively irrelevant.
Beautiful answer! Huge thanks!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Don't know anybody vaping water by itself but many people use distilled water to thin vape juice without problems
I don't vape water by itself, but I do use a sopping wet pipe-cleaner when I clean a coil, and I pulse the coil while it's in there. Unfortunately, I don't have a regulated mod handy to see if it makes a measurable difference to the resistance of the coil compared to e-liquid, but I really doubt it does.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was more thinking about, specifically mixing liquid with tap water.
Don't use tap water for mixing e-liquid. Use distilled water. In the US, grocery stores carry it and it costs ~$1.00 per gallon.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I don't think that would be a good idea. Most tap water has chlorine and metals in it. Might not want to vape that
It's more the minerals in it that I'd worry about. They will stay behind and clog things up.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
I don't vape water by itself, but I do use a sopping wet pipe-cleaner when I clean a coil, and I pulse the coil while it's in there. Unfortunately, I don't have a regulated mod handy to see if it makes a measurable difference to the resistance of the coil compared to e-liquid, but I really doubt it does.
I was more thinking about the situation when cleaning the coil and dumping it in water. Purely theoretical, but precisely when using a mech mod, how it affects the resistance. Thank you!

Don't use tap water for mixing e-liquid. Use distilled water. In the US, grocery stores carry it and it costs ~$1.00 per gallon.
I haven't used water for mixing my liquid, just asking in case of emergencies, quick fixes and things like that. Thank you!

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Next Onion headline:
Man electrocutes self while vaping heavily salted water
Haha don't worry, as I mentioned, purely theoretical! Might be some help to others!

My guess is that it's probably OK. I guess it would depend on the quality of the filter. In any case, I'm confident it's far better than regular tap water.
Perfect! Huge thanks for the answers!

Reactions: stols001

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My guess is that it's probably OK. I guess it would depend on the quality of the filter. In any case, I'm confident it's far better than regular tap water.

I've used it for a long time. In a glass, after evaporation, there is no mineral residue to the naked eye or finger. That is the best science I have.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I was more thinking about the situation when cleaning the coil and dumping it in water. Purely theoretical, but precisely when using a mech mod, how it affects the resistance. Thank you!
This thread has got me thinking.. I do clean my coils with tap water. I'm not worried about the electrical effects...

But I wonder how much of the residue that won't burn off is minerals from the water that I'm sizzling on that coil to clean it? After repeated cleanings, I start to notice that there's stuff that simply will not come off.

Now does this really matter? Well, not really. My ADV mod has a coil in it right now that I've been using since last August 30th. I did note the last time I cleaned it that the col was looking pretty rough, but I'm trying to get a full year out of it just to be able to say I did. :laugh:

That mod runs unflavored juice exclusively -- 35% PG, 65% VG, 13 mg nic -- so outstanding coil & wick life is more-or-less expected.

Maybe I'll use distilled water for cleaning the next coil when I swap it out around Sept. 1.
In another year, I'll know if it makes a difference. :sneaky:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
This thread has got me thinking.. I do clean my coils with tap water. I'm not worried about the electrical effects...

But I wonder how much of the residue that won't burn off is minerals from the water that I'm sizzling on that coil to clean it? After repeated cleanings, I start to notice that there's stuff that simply will not come off.

Now does this really matter? Well, not really. My ADV mod has a coil in it right now that I've been using since last August 30th. I did note the last time I cleaned it that the col was looking pretty rough, but I'm trying to get a full year out of it just to be able to say I did. :laugh:

That mod runs unflavored juice exclusively -- 35% PG, 65% VG, 13 mg nic -- so outstanding coil & wick life is more-or-less expected.

Maybe I'll use distilled water for cleaning the next coil when I swap it out around Sept. 1.
In another year, I'll know if it makes a difference. :sneaky:
I use to do the same when rewicking. After taking out the old wick I use to fire the coil then run it sizzle it under a dripping faucet. I did notice the coils darkened more after time and looked slightly ugly. I dont actually do the water thing as it's not really necessary. I just pulse a few times and use a small brush and my coils seem to stay better that way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread