Eliquid: Do I need to lower my expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
prospect heights, IL
I am pretty new to the vaping culture. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks cigarette free. I started out with V2cigs, and have no complaints about them except for their lack of flavor selection. At the end of week 1 I discovered I live near V4L, so I went into the store and tried a bunch of flavors before settling on their waffle, butterscotch, and watermelon carts. Over the weekend I noticed a lot of inconsistency with the draw and amount of flavor with their pre-filled carts; in fact, all of the butterscotch tasted like air. The following Monday I decided to buy some blank carts and a bottle of their WOW waffle juice. I like it quite a bit.

During weeks 2 I discovered this forum and did a little research on eliquids. I wanted to see who has the best waffle and go with that vendor, along with any other new flavors I might discover along the way. My first attempt was ECBlend. I ordered Belgian Waffle and Watermelon. The waffle was downright awful and the watermelon was an improvement over V4L. My next attempt was Highbrow. I ordered their Belgian Waffle, Creme Brulet, Caramel, and Cappuccino Diablo with a shot of cream and sugar. Again I was disappointed with the flavors. I realize now that comparing Belgian waffle flavor to a normal waffle flavor was wrong, as they're two different batter types. But both EC and HB waffle tasted like chemicals! The caramel was ok, not quite the caramel flavor I was looking for (caramel can have many different flavors in the real world), the Creme Brulet really just tasted sweet, and the same with the Cappuccino Diablo (i tasted very little coffee at all). The one thing all of the flavors had in common was that they had some sort of underlying chemical taste to them, some more prominent than others.

So now I am down to two liquids, Butterscotch and Waffle from V4L. I like the waffle a lot, but the butterscotch is just mediocre. I feel that I could possibly find better flavors but as it stands now I'm afraid to spend more money on eliquids that are just going to taste like a bad chemical copy of a flavor. Say what you will about V2cigs, but their flavors don't have that chemical taste to them, at least to my palate.

I am in the process of ordering some clearomizers to bypass the inconsistency of cotton filled carts, but I need to sak the veterans out there: do I need to lower my expectations of what an eliquid should taste like? Are there vendors out there who make a liquid that doesn't have that chemical taste to it?

Thanks.

Stefanozz

Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
East Texas
I was asking this question yesterday. I tried a melon flavor which was the first non tobacco flavor for me. It had a perfume or potpourri type taste to it that began to get stronger the more I vaped it.

My answer from the community was that the liquid needed to either steep for a while, or it was not well made.

Steeping from what I gather is letting the bottle sit in a dark cool place and turning it once a day. maybe a week, maybe more. That I'm not an expert on yet.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I am in the process of ordering some clearomizers to bypass the inconsistency of cotton filled carts, but I need to sak the veterans out there: do I need to lower my expectations of what an eliquid should taste like? Are there vendors out there who make a liquid that doesn't have that chemical taste to it?
Hi and welcome to ECF. You'll find clearomizers eat up lots of juice and will mute the flavor. As long as you don't mind the taste of the filler you may want to look into a carto+ tank. First try out the clearos though and decide from there. Finding the right juice is the most toughest part of vaping and even more distressing the fact that your flavor likes and dislikes will prolly change over time.
Good Luck.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
My ECBlends liquids sometimes need a couple of weeks, I have a vanilla cupcake flavor and butter rum flavor that are at 3 weeks right now. I ordered them knowing they would need time, usually they always need a week, never really had one from them that didn't need a little steeping. I often take the caps off of them for a few days as well because of their perfume smell.

njay23

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
West Deptford, NJ
There are so many eliquid vendors. It's really trial and error to see which ones are right for you. There is a juice review section here u could check out. You could do a search on butterscotch and see what comes up. I've probably tried 50 eliquids and I really only have 2 or 3 I use consistantly. I have had some that I didn't really like and when I went back and tried them a few weeks later they were pretty good so I guess steeping really helps with some flavors

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I vape DIY exclusively now, but a place to try for sweets is kickbassvapor.

I've known the owners since before they turned pro -- excellent products at good prices, just plain nice people to deal with. They have an active ECF Supplier forum area, including a fair number of veterans who are regulars (that's a good sign, many of us get pickier over time :) )

Good luck!

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
You will find as many opinions on juices and what is good/not good, works/doesn't work as there are participants on this forum. Personally I have found that really strong "flavor" is something I can't stand. I thought I wanted a really potent vanilla, then I found one. It has a powerful pure vanilla taste, and I can vape it for about two seconds before it is just too much! I find that I prefer diluting down a lot of flavors till I get them where I like them. On top of this I think taste changes over time. So...
In my limited experience it's the fresher, including my DIY juices that have a pronounced "chemically" or artificial edge to them and steeping definitely tends to mellow them out.
So keep trying vendors and experimenting, if you don't like something today, put it away and pull it back out in a week or two and try it again! Good luck, you'll find what you're looking for if you keep at it.

lotsoffish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Buffalo, New York

Thanks.

LOL!

Here's my take on your question.

As long as the flavors don't taste like dirty socks I am OK with them.

How "great" did real cigarettes taste? Try one now that you have been off them a few weeks. I did. They taste AWFUL.

I have tried Mrs.T's and Mom and Pop's and they both make some good tasting E liquids but right now I am using Hoosiers E Liquids cuz they are cheap (11.54 per 30 ml 24 mg nicotine + free shipping) and they taste like the fruits they are supposed to.

I am vaping to STAY OFF Cigarettes after all. If I REALLY wanted a watermelon I would EAT a watermelon.

Honestly I am so HAPPY to be off cigarettes for the 1st time in over 35 years as long as my liquids don't taste like oven cleaner I couldn't be happier.

Alex4VG

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 2, 2012
Bucharest, Romania
vapemania.ro
LOL!
Honestly I am so HAPPY to be off cigarettes for the 1st time in over 35 years as long as my liquids don't taste like oven cleaner I couldn't be happier.
+1 for this

Also: It's a pretty personal experience for everyone trying our e-liquids and they can't be described as you would describe an atomizer or battery. You will find the best liquids after much trial and error. As a personal advice if you've just started vaping you could try to go for the most popular ones and see if any of them match your taste before running our of money on different experiments.

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
I also like V4L's Wow Waffle (but the Pancake is better), don't like their butterscotch, and don't care much for Highbrow. So, we may be on the same page when it comes to juice flavors. My favorite vendor right now is Virgin Vapor: Kona Coffee Milkshake, Espresso, Creme Caramel, Banana Monkey, Turkish Coffee, Kona Velvet Milkshake and Kona Caramel Milkshake. The juices have a really rich flavor with no yucky chemical taste.

Hope this helps.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
Dont throw or dismiss anything just yet,what you hate today might be a revelation down the vaping line...then grow tired of it then restart the cycle :laugh:

I have juice that I am vaping right now at a mg/ml ratio that isnt even mine that I hated 6 months ago (TV watermelon bubblegum 24mg)...its getting some love.

I was starking mad about some butterscotch I found at about the same time and cant vape that thing

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I'll second KickBassVapor. Great clean flavors. I'm very sensitive to that chemically base from some vendors. Kick Bass Vapor is now my only vendor for juice. Their flavors ARE a little on the lighter side, so I do order extra flavor in some, but I have never ever gotten a chemical taste in any of their flavors.

luvinit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Northern NY, United States
What tastes good to me, might not taste good to you, but I would have to highly recommend Heather's Heavenly Vapes. I've tried many of their flavors and none of them have any sort of chemically, perfumey taste. Just pure, clean flavor. The Just Peachy tastes like a peach. The Cinful Pear tastes just like a baked pear. There's nothing artificial about these flavors, and they a build-your-own waffle. Every flavor I've tried has been awesome, right out of the mail. No steeping required here. They have super fast shipping too.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Yes, tastes can change hugely. I had big swings in what I liked over the first four months or so, and more minor, but real, changes for another 4 months. I've been pretty consistent since then, have a single all-day vape -- I'll test something else rarely, end up always coming back to the same mix.

fatcharlie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
prospect heights, IL
Wow. Thanks for all the replies, a lot more than I expected! Unfortunately I did throw away all of the old flavors except the ECBlend Watermelon. I did come across Ms. T's the other day and have them bookmarked. I will certainly add Kick Bass Vapors and Virgin Vapor to my checkout list. My biggest problem is that I don't have the patience to let the juices steep for any amount of time. I want to vape now!!! :D:

One thing I don't understand about V2cigs is why all of their pre-filled flavors are not available as liquids. Obviously they have the liquid to make the carts. They just added 2 new ones this week to make a whopping 6 flavors available as juice. Luckily for me their Red was one of the new ones added.

I hadn't read anywhere about the Clearomizers, or clear atomizers muting the flavor, but that does give me some concern. I'm not worried about them using more juice, but one of my biggest complaints about cotton filled cartomizers is sometimes when I draw on them I get no flavor whatsoever, then a few hits later the flavor comes back. I kinda figured it would be the opposite, that you would get more flavor since you're only dealing with a wick.

dirquist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2009
Kent, Wa
There are tons of great flavors out there. That said, the ones that I like the most because none of them are perfumy at all and none of them have any funky chemical flavors is the epipemod pipesauces. To me they are a really clean pure juice. They are also reasonably priced which helps. Of course there are many others out there that are just as good :) Just gotta keep searching I guess.

Krisfiveoh

Jul 13, 2012
Louisiana
I was lucky and started off with Virgin Vapor. Can't go wrong with Annette's quality of liquids (organic). Fell in love with my first vape of Caramel Kettle Corn (wish I could buy it by the gallon)!!! I'm currently trying Kona Velvet Milkshake, White Cherry Crush, Naked Vanilla and Swiss Almond. I'm impatient also and can't wait for the juices to steep, so my next order will probably be adding 2-3x's extra flavor. She will also custom make a flavor for you. Like I said.... can't go wrong with VV juice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread