'Ello and Good Eve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
'Ello mates,
New here (rather obviously), and new to the entire world of Electronic Cigarettes.

One of my mates got set up with a trial offer from e-Cig (the brand), and speaks highly of it. The few hits I've taken from it seemed to do well-reminded me of a warmer version of a hookah.

I have looked into several brands out there (e-Cig, Smoke Stik, Blu, etc), and they all seem priced around the same for the "Automatic" starter kits. From what I have read around the forums (in all honesty, it's only a few hours I have lurked), they are suggested for those new to "vaping (am I using the term/spelling it correctly?)."

I have heard ads on the radio, and called them only to find (as pointed out in the free trial sticky) that they are SEVERELY overpriced, and have a monthly charge. Not to mention the particular company was attempting to sell it as a quit-aid. I am unsure how the users of this forum feel about such things.

As for myself, I have not smoked regular cigarettes in well over a year (switching primarily to hookah on the weekends only, and a pipe for my nerves). The draw of these E-Cigs (or is the term PV preferred?) is the no-nicotine variant (with the option to have nicotine if desired). I never smoked for the nicotine, and that's why it was/is so easy for me to smoke one week/month, and drop it like I never even started. It was always about having the flavour, and something to do with my hands.

Knowing that, and knowing that Cherry (my favorite flavour to smoke, both in my hookah and in my pipe) is available, my question is (in as much as I need to ask-I already know it's the "mini automatic" whatever the number designation is), despite what I've seen a few users say (thanks to my rather advanced Googlefu), is Blu a decent brand to start with? They SEEM to offer a much better deal than my mate was cut, and the "Charger Pack" whatsits seems like it would be rather nice.

Might as well get the introduction of myself out of the way as well (after all, that is what this particular section of the forum is for, innit?)!

I am a married man, with a lovely daughter. I am an AVID and ACTIVE member of the Steampunk community. I play music quite regularly, and often find myself in the local jazz joints, which, since my state implemented a no-smoking in public buildings ban, the entire feel is somewhat off... It is not the same, having my highballer of neat brandy without a cigarette.

I've played guitar for more than a decade, and bass for longer than that. About two years ago, I branched out into drums, and this past Christmas, picked up the ukulele. I used to play in a hard/desert/grunge rock band (for three and a half years, until they kicked me out due to a shoulder injury), but now I mostly play folk/acoustic on my own, and classic-esq rock with my new band (which my aforementioned mate what smokes the e-Cig brand is in as well).

I am an avid video gamer, most recently working my way through Saint's Row 2.

What they did to Carlos nearly made me cry.

Well, it's blabbered enough I think I have, so...

I really hope you folks are ready for my particular brand of insanity!

kia2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2012
USA
Xenos, you're sounding like a pretty fun guy to know.

I didn't care for the Blu, we'll leave it at that. I also tried V2, and though the battery was decent, it was hit and miss for a good working one, and their flavors were limited and their customer service was non-existent, as was any real idea of when an order would be filled and shipped. I tried a couple of the "generic" minis as well (don't know why, but calling them minis just doesn't sit well with me, though this is my main device of choice).

I landed at Smokeless Image, though, and haven't looked back. Their batteries are top notch, and they come in many colors, two sizes, and manual or sealed automatic, and have a nice rubberized finish. They also have a new, step up mid-size battery called the X2, which is also pretty nice and can use either the carts or the clearomizers. They have cart and liquid flavors that are pretty nice. Their customer service is second to none, and they fill and ship fast. They have a Cherry flavor, but I've never cared for anyone's cherry flavor that I've tried, personally. So, I don't buy cherry.

Their best starter kit, I think, is their Standard Starter Kit. Has lots of choice associated with it. If you want a personal charger case, a step up to the Pro Starter Kit would be in order and I personally prefer the mega v2 case over the slider, and I'd also advise getting the wall adapter and usb charger offered in the "extras" as well (would be slightly cheaper than ala carte).

I miss good ol' rock and jazz and the "classic" stuff. I really don't consider myself old enough to have the music called "classic," but oh well. Also played my share of the mmorpg's.

Welcome to ECF!

Last edited:

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
*Bows*
Thank you all kindly for the warm welcome!

Kia2, you've given me some GREAT information to browse over. I DO have to say I prefer the atheistic of the Blu case, but that's probably just the fact it reminds me of a black Davidoff case (old habits, etc).

As to which I'm going with... Eh, unsure at this point-since your post is the first I have heard of Smokeless Image, and I will have to run my research on the brand (reviews, etc). I DO like the fact that WITH a case charger, and a couple of the extras, it is about $5 cheaper than the Blu. $5 is a gallon of petrol!

Aye, I miss the jazz myself-there is all of ONE good club near my house at current, and they rarely have open mics anymore. I myself would rather not date myself with what music I grew up with-suffice it to say it's around the block I've been-more than a few times, at that!

I WILL say this-if it comes down to fairly equal reviews between SEVERAL sites, I will most probably solve the issue with a coin toss. Lady Luck has a way of smiling on me when I need her to, and by Merlin's Beard, TOO MANY CHOICES!!! ;-)

Again, thanks for the info, and it's sorry I am in advance if my posts are somewhat disjointed! After I get the ability to have a signature, you'll all see my standard disclaimer which reads that my posts may be incoherent/babbling/stream of thought...y, because I spend alot of time on pain pills. If I'm NOT taking my medications (my doc hates it when I stop), I'm usually hitting the sauce *just* enough to get that warm fuzzy feeling.

Like now.

It's what, 15 posts for the signature? ;)

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
Right, quick update on what I've found out about Blu vs. Volt:

Volt seems to have much higher reviews here on ECF. That's a positive thing.

Blu, while getting mediocre reviews, is made in my homestate, and located less than 2 hours from my house.

The carts are also sold quite literally within walking distance of my house.

Those are MAJOR points in it's favour-so, it'll probably come down to the coin toss on payday (which is next week). Still, the fact they are based a short trip up the road from me... What's that bit about buying local? Add that to the whole Johnson Creek thing, and from everything I have read, the Cherry Crush is the BEST cherry flavour out there...

Just thought I should let you all know I AM actively looking into this, and doing extensive research!

PS: Does anyone know if there is a ROSE flavour?

EDIT: And thanks again for the warm welcomes!

Last edited:

tribe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Northern VA
Hey Xenos, I purchased blu because I was about to blow my quit and they sell it at a Walgreens close to home. It has a good presentation and now has good customer service (it was just acquired by a big tobacco corp).

The flavors are good quality (Johnson Creek). Overall if you are going to be a very light vaper you can go ahead with those... but the carts are expensive and don't last a lot; I was using 4 per day. It's a good backup for us addicts ;)

If you want a good basic kit go with one recommended here.

Cheers

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
EEK! That'd get pretty pricy, pretty quick. At a cost of around $10 for 5, yeah...

Hrm... That does in fact give me something to think about. I mean, as is, I only smoke maybe twice a month (and that's hookah), so no telling how much I will actually be vaping-quite probably only when out with friends, as that is pretty much the only time I smoke now.

But still... That gets expensive QUICK it sounds like. And it's very poor I am, so.

Volt may BE the way to go. I have been reading positive reviews about them 'round here, and elsewhere as well. Also Volcano gets decent reviews-and is used by a little-known radio personality, one Rush Limbaugh. Issue I take with them is the cart is red, rather than black. It's a stickler I am for the aesthetics, and the sharp look of the Blu was the initial draw.

Owned by Ol' Toby, are they now? Not sure if that's a good thing, or a BAD thing. I DO expect that means an increase in QC, so here's to hoping on THAT front, aye?

Much to think about before pay-day.

Much to think about indeed! The big hang up right now, though, from everything I have read, Blu has the best cherry. And JC does not sell the bottle form of it.

It's a bummer that is, true fact!

Heh, just thought about this, reckon they make an electronic PIPE? THAT would be ace for outings on the town with my mates, and would not look amiss with my waistcoat'n'topper!

Are the chargers interchangeable, or proprietary? And would the carts be interchangeable on the batteries? What I could do is get the starter kit of one, and get the batteries for the other, see which I liked best, send the other back?

Again, with the carts for the Blu being literally within walking distance of my house, it is VERY tempting to go that path-unless of course the carts are universal, then I could get a Volt battery.

I really have no clue as to all this-I know there's what, KR8, and 510? But I've no clue which is which, who makes what, and my (rather exceptional) Googlefu has yielded precious little in the way of relevant information on the subject.

I really AM a major /\/00|3 to the whole thing.

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
Thanks kindly, mate!

I must say, I rather enjoy your signature, as well. Quite an interesting concept, to be certain. I myself cannot say I agree with it (I am more of "A Man Chooses, A Slave Obeys" kinda fella), but I must say, it opens my eyes to an entirely new concept, one I had not thought on before.

This will require some "Philosophizin'" as my mate might say...

Cheers, and good day! ;)

Xenos

May 9, 2012
East Coast
Right, it's a while it's been, and rather than start a new thread to say "Hey, it's me again!" I thought better of it, and just popped back here...

Sorry I've not been quite as regular as I perhaps should have, turns out life throws me curve balls far more frequent than what I'd like, true fact!

At any rate, what I ended up with for a set up is a basic 510 3-Piece set up. Came with 10 empties, two atomizers, and two manual batteries. So far, the system has worked like a charm, and the flavors the gent threw in the mix (at no extra cost, might I add) are quite simply amazing. The Ol' Toby flavor is not QUITE like the real leaf, but from what I've read, it's precious few that are!

However, the CHERRY is where this fella shines. It tastes like a mixture of Grenadine Syrup with a touch of Cherry Nerd Candy. "Divine" is quite probably the best way to describe it.

Both of the batteries came fully charged, which was an honest shock to both me AND my mate. However, the fella what sells 'em is a reputable sort, what with him being a cop in the local community 'n all.

He's also mentioned setting up a large drip box with a few hoses, so he's got sort of an E-Hookah Bar going on! It's pleased as Punch (that psychotic ....... :') ) I am that he works local (why, he's only a half hour up the road, and all he sells are PV products-sadly, no pipes... Too damn expensive, says he)!

In a word, it's happy I am with what I've got, and now I'm off to post in the "What are you vaping RIGHT NOW" thread. (Those keeping score at home, I've got one cart loaded with the Cherry, and another loaded with the Ol' Toby.

Regards, mate-here's to hoping I'm back regular-at least SOMEWHAT (though, don't hold your breath, it's unlikely that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread