email I got from the FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturrs

Jul 19, 2009
Thought you might be interested.

Thank you for making your opinions and concerns known to the Agency. We appreciate your thoughts and experiences regarding electronic cigarette, cigar, and pipe products.

At this time, we are not aware of any data establishing electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes as safe and effective for their intended uses. Based upon our review of a number of these products, they are drug/device combinations that require approval by FDA before they may be legally marketed in the United States .

None of these so-called electronic cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, or their components has been approved by FDA. Therefore, the marketing of them in the United States is subject to enforcement action. As a matter of policy, however, we limit communications about the regulatory status of specific marketed products to those responsible for them, and we do not discuss our enforcement actions except with the targets of those actions.

There may be a perception among some users that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes are safer alternatives to conventional tobacco products. There may also be a perception that these products are a safe and effective means to quit smoking conventional forms of tobacco. However, FDA is not aware of any scientific data to support those perceptions. Since these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, the agency has no way of knowing, except for the limited testing it has performed, the levels of nicotine or the kinds and amounts of other chemicals that the various brands of these products deliver to the user. The FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis analyzed the ingredients in a small sample of cartridges from two leading brands of electronic cigarettes. In one sample, the FDA’s analyses detected diethylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze that is toxic to humans, and in several other samples, the FDA analyses detected carcinogens, including nitrosamines. FDA also found varying levels of nicotine in cartridges labeled as containing the same level of nicotine as well as the presence of nicotine in cartridges labeled as containing no nicotine. These test results indicate that these products are manufactured under inadequate or non-existent controls.

FDA is concerned that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences. Additionally, it is unclear what health effects these products could have on users or if misuse or product failure could lead to nicotine poisoning or other serious adverse health consequences.

There are a number of proven safe and effective cessation aids that smokers can use to quit smoking. The U.S. Public Health Service’s, Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update recommends using a combination of proven cessation interventions including FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy and/or non-nicotine medications and counseling to more than double a smoker’s chances of quitting successfully. Free help is available to smokers in all states by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW or by visiting www.smokefree.gov.

Again, we appreciate the time that you have taken to contact us.

Best regards,
kw
Division of Drug Information
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
Food and Drug Administration

This communication is consistent with 21CFR10.85(k) and constitutes and informal communication that represents our best judgment at this time but does not constitute and advisory opinion, does not necessarily represent the formal position of the FDA, and does not bind or otherwise obligate or commit the agency to the views expressed.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
I appreciate that this email has been posted before, and it really is all as expected, but I do find one statement rather odd:-
.....it is unclear what health effects these products could have on users or if misuse or product failure could lead to nicotine poisoning or other serious adverse health consequences.
[emphasis mine]

Of course misuse can cause serious effects... just like misuse of anything can cause problems.... quick! remove those ovens / cookers / hobs from every household.... too dangerous!

rocketvapor

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
Rockledge, FL
"There are a number of proven safe and effective cessation aids that smokers can use to quit smoking. The U.S. Public Health Service’s, Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update recommends using a combination of proven cessation interventions including FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy and/or non-nicotine medications and counseling to more than double a smoker’s chances of quitting successfully."

"Proven cessation intervnetions..." Oh, puh-leeze....are you kidding me????

I tried every other method out there, and nothing worked. ONE DAY on an e cig, and I haven't smoked tobacco since.

"More than double a smoker's chances of quitting..." Yeah, well 2 times zero is still zero. You'd think the FDA would have a few people on staff who can do the math............

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
I'm curious as to whether this is the FDA's job to determine:

FDA is concerned that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences.

I understand the concern from a public health point-of-view (not that it totally follows that a teen who uses an electronic cigarette is going to start smoking tobacco, but that's beside the point), but is it really the FDA's job to make sure that people under 18 are not using nicotine, or any other controlled substance?

Of course, there is one line that I absolutely agree with in there:

Since these products have not been submitted to the FDA for evaluation or approval, the agency has no way of knowing

It is not the FDA's job to search the internet for studies done or conjecture posted by people on a forum.

...I think I might be starting to sound like Bob...

-Nate

SquirrilahFish

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2009
Honolulu
This BS ab the danger to kids is ......ed, im sick of hearing it. Did you hear the confrence call? I would never take my kid to that pediatrician because he is a complete .....!
They haven't been able to stop kids from using tobacco products for as long as they've been around. Atleast with ecigs there not going to die!

by the way, proven cessation = <15% after one year, and both gums and patches contain DEG, what an @55 hole! FDA = F*^*&ING DUMB @55es

happily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
anchorage, ak
why are they allowed to make safe and effective claims

There are a number of proven safe and effective cessation aids that smokers can use to quit smoking. The U.S. Public Health Service’s, Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update recommends using a combination of proven cessation interventions

Straykat

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Hawaii
I'm curious as to whether this is the FDA's job to determine:

"FDA is concerned that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences. "

Exactly what I noticed! Is product marketing or "appeal" with regards to underage influences within FDA jurisdiction seeing as they're a "science-based" government org?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Exactly what I noticed! Is product marketing or "appeal" with regards to underage influences within FDA jurisdiction seeing as they're a "science-based" government org?

Stay--That is part of the FDA's statutory powers---it has the ablility to regulate how products are marketed as well as sold.

Sun

Straykat

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Hawaii
Found what I was looking for on the FDA site; FAQ on the FSPTCA:

"REGULATION
Does FDA now have the authority to regulate tobacco products?

Yes. On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the FSPTCA.
What specifically has FDA been charged with under this new legislation?

This historic legislation grants authority the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to regulate tobacco products. Among other things, the FSPTCA provides FDA with regulatory authority to regulate marketing and promotion of tobacco products and to set performance standards for tobacco products to protect the public health. "

This happens to include...

"There are many requirements with deadlines outlined in the FSPTCA...
  • By April 2010, FDA will reissue the 1996 regulation aimed at reducing young people’s access to tobacco products and curbing the appeal of tobacco to the young. "

Just a few points, they say they detected diethylene glycol but not the concentrations same goes for nitrosamines.

"FDA is concerned that electronic cigarettes, cigars, or pipes may introduce young people to nicotine use which may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences."

Well young people will smoke cigarettes if they want to, it's legal!!

They may also buy 'coventional' nicotine replacement products which "
may lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products with well-known, adverse, health consequences", so they are 'bidding against themselves on that point'.

The FDA imply young people will use ecigs because they are *safer* they seem to accept they are safer here.

They make no consideration of the people who already smoke conventional cigarettes
and have switched to a safer alternative product.

Do they really want to encourage young people who want a nicotine hit to get it from a product which has radioactive tar in it?

Diethylene glycol has been found in toothpaste in the USA, I am unaware of a toothpaste ban.

Nitrosamines are found in many foodstuffs, especially beer, fish, and fish byproducts, and also in meat and cheese products preserved with nitrite pickling salt. The U.S. government established limits on the amount of nitrites used in meat products in order to decrease cancer risk in the population. There are also rules about adding ascorbic acid or related compounds to meat, because they inhibit nitrosamine formation.

I think it is significant that they did not say dangerous levels of those sustances were found.

Anyhow a key point is that ecigarettes are likely to lead to a decrease in young people smoking conventional cigarettes, something they fail to consider.

Their whole report really is totally biased and unbalanced and I believe this us a failure in their duty.

A failure in their duty to protect existing smokers and young people too.

They need to called to account because they are not led by science, their report is biased and a shame, they are failing in their duty.

Basically fook'em!! :evil:

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
Stay--That is part of the FDA's statutory powers---it has the ablility to regulate how products are marketed as well as sold.

Sun

Well, there's a difference between how something is marketed and the impact it has on a market. It is within the FDA's power to regulate marketing, but is it within their power to forbid a product that might appeal to "young people", regardless of marketing? If the electronic cigarette ends up being marketed as a smoking cessation device, aimed at current adult smokers as a way for them to quit, and some kid thinks it's cool...

I think I just answered my own question actually... part of the approval process is how likely non-smokers are to use it. Wouldn't want a non-smoker deciding that he likes nicotine, oh no no no.

tiffytiff

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Wheeling WV
i started smoking analogs when i was 13! walked in the gas station everyday and the guy sold me a pack, all i want to know was where was the fda on that one??? hmph as a matter of fact in 1987 there wasnt a gas station or carry out in that entire town, that we couldnt get beer OR cigarettes.

idk this whole thing makes my head hurt. it's just common sense.

Psyko1

Aug 5, 2009
Started at age 10 myself. Now I'm 38, ands I've stated before, I have tried everything under the sun to quit smoking. From Zyban to nic inhalers, patches to gum... None of them worked... then came chantix {won't even look at that one, research the side effects... } 1 day on my PV and my smoking is cut in half. and half the day was waiting for it and charging it.

Today is day 2, out of habit walked out and had my 2 morning smokes before I remembered my PV... DOH! But now am happily puffing on it and feeling fine. I may have another analog later if the withdrawal from the other 4000 chems gets to me. We'll see, might not even need 2.

This thing works great, I'll be ecstatic if after today I can say I smoked less than 5. {1 1/2 - 2 pack a day smoker * 28 yrs.}

Wife and I will be stocking up on all the equip and liquid we can get our hands on just to be safe. If they do ban it, we'll learn how to make nic juice. {Which I'm sure is perfectly safe and will be quality controlled <----- touch of sarcasm} You'd think the FDA would have the brains given a common dog. People who like it will continue to vape and just find ways around the regulations.

Big Tobacco owns the FDA, this has been proven by there own actions. They don't want people to quit. They want people to die smoking tobacco. Or rather they want the tax dollars from people dieing smoking tobacco.

Also what about the people who vape 0 nic juice and enjoy it just for the flavors? They are not ingesting nicotine. Even some vitamins are being made for PV's. We do have rights in Canada and the U.s. the fundamental one being we have the right to good government. Having our government agencies outright lie to us is wrong.

We need to start promoting e-cigs and discussing them with everyone, they use lies and propaganda, let's use truth and propaganda. Start writing local papers, talk to your radio guys. Talk to people and inform them. People are intelligent in a one on one basis. I already have 5 friends who are going to order the set just from discussing it with them. They are also long time smokers wishing to quit.

We need to do all we can to fight the bans they are trying to impose. I mean c'mon California is trying to legalize marijuana and ban the e-cig... WHAT?!!?! Where does that make any sense? I plan to do all I can. I am signing every petition and writing letters.

We need to be heard. So let's be heard people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread