Enountering vapers more frequently and the oldest vaper I've yet to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
It was, is, and continues to be something of an uphill battle here in "tobacco country" regarding education and exposure of the general public towards e-cigs and vaping. But I am seeing more and more vapers "in the wild" out in public and indoors as well. There are now almost a dozen vape shops in the greater Piedmont Triad area and about half of them are "dedicated" vape shops, selling only vaping gear. More and more, I am seeing puffs of vapor appearing in restaurants and other locations, often from the corner of my eye. Sometimes you have to look a bit hard, but they are in fact there, and I am very pleased. We are still few and far between, but things are picking up.

This morning I visited an all night diner which I had never been to before. I generally am not shy when it comes to vaping in such places, and sometimes I will ask permission, but my mind was eased immediately and I felt comfortable when I saw a man, very much advanced in years, sitting at the next table vaping. I would estimate his age to have been around 75 (+/- 5 years). Now there is often a stereotype about older folks and older folks and technology. Some of it may have a basis in truth, however this man blew away any such notions I had. He was working on a 7 inch tablet (apparently taking advantage of the free wiFi) and holding a cig-a-like in his mouth. He seemed very content and satisfied. Whether he had a sub-ohm rig or Provari or DNA 20 at home or in his pocket somewhere, I do not know. While I doubt it, I would not be surprised if he did. Clearly he was very comfortable with technology and no one payed him any attention (he may have been a regular).

This was about 1 AM on a weekday, which shot another stereotype to shreds, about older folks retiring early for the evening.

Thus, I conjectured this establishment was "vape friendly" and I plan to patronize this business in the future. Overall, seeing this gentleman gave my spirits a boost, cause sometimes I wonder if what I/We as vapers are doing is having any effect.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Yeah, you can't count on those stereotypes ;)
My 82 Year young Mother-in-law takes her iPhone, laptop, iPad and Kindle with her when she goes on a train to the north in the summer. She hates flying. She texts all the time! She stays up very late and sleeps till 9-10 in the morning, unless she has something that needs doing earlier.

She no longer stays out past dark because she doesn't like driving at night anymore and knows she could be a hazard on the road. She's not looking forward to the day she has to give up driving, but she does know that it may happen in a few more years.

ncpatches

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Wake Forest NC USA
I wish someone would open a shop in Wake Forest, have to go to Raleigh, the closest for me.

At least White Street Brewery in WF is e-cig friendly.:thumb: Went there with a young couple that lives across the hall and by the time we left, there were probably 10-12 people in there with PV's, ranging in age from early 20's to 50+. Terrific! Been many years since you could go out and have a beer and still get your Nic without going outside.:toast:

LaziDaze

Jun 14, 2013
Carolinas
Hey Arnie - you're making me feel like a dinosaur. I'm 76 years young and I've been vaping for over two years. I've even been known to do a few stealth vapes at a non-vape friendly restaurant after a LATE NIGHT dinner with wife/family/friends.

And guess what? - my wife and I have two PCs at home along with a laptop, an Ipad and two smartphones. We even got rid of our old cathode ray TVs/computer monitors and replaced them with 4 HD flat screens in various sizes. And even more surprising is that my wife and I both drive cars with fuel injection, four wheel disk brakes and air conditioning (OK - one of them is a minivan) - and they even have electric starters!! Imagine that - just turn the key and the car starts - what will they think of next? :confused:

Just joking of course - but I always get a kick out of it when you young folks fit all of us "old farts" into a stereotypical older folk pool.:laugh:

Vape on you old farts - vape on

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
By golly, I can remember back when da air was clean and sex was dirty...
old.gif

<BTW, I'm 67 years young>

Doughboy67

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2013
Durham, NC, USA
Hey Arnie - you're making me feel like a dinosaur. I'm 76 years young and I've been vaping for over two years. I've even been known to do a few stealth vapes at a non-vape friendly restaurant after a LATE NIGHT dinner with wife/family/friends.

And guess what? - my wife and I have two PCs at home along with a laptop, an Ipad and two smartphones. We even got rid of our old cathode ray TVs/computer monitors and replaced them with 4 HD flat screens in various sizes. And even more surprising is that my wife and I both drive cars with fuel injection, four wheel disk brakes and air conditioning (OK - one of them is a minivan) - and they even have electric starters!! Imagine that - just turn the key and the car starts - what will they think of next? :confused:

Just joking of course - but I always get a kick out of it when you young folks fit all of us "old farts" into a stereotypical older folk pool.:laugh:

Vape on you old farts - vape on

Great post!!! Loved it!! ROTFLMAO! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

HarleyNana

Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Eldorado, TX, USA
man, whatever you do, don't go to Daytona for bike week..
you'll be freaked by the old geezers on the Harley's with a cig-a-like hanging from the lips..
(and one of them may just be me - I'll be celebrating my 60th there this year)

I'm a 60 year old Grandma that rides her own Harley. (I won't be making it to Daytona this year sadly but I am going to Sturgis. )

I'm the oldest person I know that vapes. Now hand me my walking cane, it's Bingo night! :blink:

:p

Caffeine7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
Riverside, ca
My dad is 73 and vapes in the evenings. He really missed puffing on his pipe and since his stroke a few years ago he hasn't been able to. The nic is bad for his circulation. He started asking about vaping so I set him up with an e-go and a tank with zero nic and he loves it. He's a chemist and researched it so he's comfortable with it and it has to be better than the nights we used to sit on the porch and chain smoke years ago. He's also better on his iPad than me so the tech stereotype went out the window too

Last edited:

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Hey, I can stay out until "the cows come home"...as long as that's before 9:30 or so.

/offtopic

Grim I just can't see your avatar without thinking of that line from the song in Rocky Horrors intro song

"Michael Rennie was there in silver underware and Claud Raines is the invisible man......"

(or something like that its been years since I heard it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread