Erythritol Vs Sucralose

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Hello Everyone,

Been away for a while, been traveling a lot. So finally settling down on making some eliquids. For the first time I might add. I just need some insight on these two sweeteners. I am trying to replicate the Skweezed Lychee flavor (THE best eliquid I have ever had). I don't have a template to go on, so I geared up for a lot of wasted attempts. I know it is sweet, very sweet in fact, but still not overpowering. So just wondering if I use too much Sucralose, it just might kill the mix altogether.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello Everyone,

Been away for a while, been traveling a lot. So finally settling down on making some eliquids. For the first time I might add. I just need some insight on these two sweeteners. I am trying to replicate the Skweezed Lychee flavor (THE best eliquid I have ever had). I don't have a template to go on, so I geared up for a lot of wasted attempts. I know it is sweet, very sweet in fact, but still not overpowering. So just wondering if I use too much Sucralose, it just might kill the mix altogether.
Hola HS,
Found on ELR
Capture.PNG

I would omit the FA Lemon Sicily and just mix up the other two ingredients.
Do you have TPA Dragonfruit/Lychee or will you be using different brands?
Experiment with the sweeteners to find your "sweet" spot, no pun intended. :p

IMO, I would try to get by with as little additional sweetener as possible.

Cheers
I

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Olaaaaa! :)

After posting this thread, I did find something that I was looking for.

Realychee

But the user says it's in the works. Not sure for how long it has been that way. The post doesn't have any dates or anything.

If I skip sweeteners, wouldn't the juice just turn out to be a bit coarse? Or is it that the flavours are sweet enough on their own to pack a punch?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In my experience attempting to exactly match a given ejuice is often very difficult. Close can be achieved though. if you’ve never mixed before I suggest starting simple. Single flavor juices and very small batches because the chances of a screwup are high and very small batches hurt less to throw away.

As to sweetness, General info:
it will depend. Artificial sweeteners are usually “supersweeteners” and are orders of magnitude sweeter than sugar gram for gram which can give them a funny aftertaste. They also have to hold up well under high heat, which is why sucralose is often preferred.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Likely it will be sweet enough without sweeteners, and easy to add some later if desired. Lots harder to get it out ;)

MOST sweeteners will, if used other than very sparingly, gunk your coil quickly. Erithritol is the least gunky of them, ime. IF you decide to go that way, use the same % as the other sweetener listed.

Heck, ALL recipes are a work in progress. Until they're tweaked to your tastes. The use of the same flavor from different makers, or two or more related flavors is often used to fill out the mix and give depth to it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Olaaaaa! :)

After posting this thread, I did find something that I was looking for.

Realychee

But the user says it's in the works. Not sure for how long it has been that way. The post doesn't have any dates or anything.

If I skip sweeteners, wouldn't the juice just turn out to be a bit coarse? Or is it that the flavours are sweet enough on their own to pack a punch?

iirc, TPA lychee has some sweetener in the concentrate. "This treat from Southeast Asia has a juicy sweet flavor with distinct floral notes."
You may want to try Cap Sweet lychee as part of the mix or as a substitute for the TPA.
I prefer not to vape sweeteners in general and try not to use them as a separate ingredient in mixes, if possible.

HTH
I

Last edited:

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Okay. Point noted me Lord! :thumb:

So my first order will not have any sweetener!

I do only want to start off with something like 30 ml batches at around 3mg nic level. I was seeing a video on YouTube, which said, sucralose has a low heat tolerance and caramelize really well, it does really gunk up the coil very quickly. Ethyl Maltol and Erythritol, not so much, maybe coz they are artificial.

Reactions: DavidOck

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
With my town getting pounded by a tornado, I am not sure how quickly my orders will come. I am running low on juice, as I have made up my mind. My juice, or no juice! :w00t:

So just a quick question on steeping. Is there a rough baseline on how long to steep? Like minimum 5 days, 6 days etc.

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
With my town getting pounded by a tornado, I am not sure how quickly my orders will come. I am running low on juice, as I have made up my mind. My juice, or no juice! :w00t:

So just a quick question on steeping. Is there a rough baseline on how long to steep? Like minimum 5 days, 6 days etc.
Steeping seems to be something of a dark art. Various juices benefit various amounts from various kinds of steeping. Fruit flavors generally benefit not at all. My personal act has been to pretend steeping does not exist and base everything on how stuff tastes shake n’ vape. It limits me but also makes things simpler.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

I updated a link in my post above. TL;DR...Order the Cap Sweet lychee.
If you are placing an order, get the sweetener. IMO, it's better to have it and not need it. :w00t:

Give the bottle of the new mix a shake every day and let it breath for a few minutes while sampling and making notes.
Many fruit mixes are as close to shake and vape as it gets. I find any alcohol "coarseness" diminishes quickly over the first couple, few days. A week tops.

HTH
I

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Uh, ditto?

Yes, get the erithritol. Nice to have for some mixes.

And also yes, steeping needs vary widely. As said, fruits and desserts are usually pretty good as shake and vape. Tobaccos tend to need a long steep, weeks or longer.

DO consider making 10 or 15 ml test batches, instead of 30. While - again, ime - haven't had many mixes that were flat out unvapeable (by me, of course), it's a lot less stressful to dump 6 mls (my tanks are all 4 ml or more ;) ) than 24...

IF any of your flavors are alcohol based, once mixed, leave the cap and tip off the bottle for a few days for it to evaporate off. Gets rid of the alcohol / perfumey / floral aftertaste.

Molchi

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2017
Germany
Erithritol seems to be the better option. Here in germany a few months ago a debate started about sucralose, since a study showed that it could be posibly that it starts to already break down at temperaturs of ~120C/260F. Since it's a chlorid form of sugar it could possibly convert into something really bad. They already announced that they will do some more research.

Btw. where do i get erithritol and is there something special i have to watch for? And does it have a specific taste like Stevia?

Last edited:

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Ok. I dozed off! If I go for 15ml batches, it is like making something almost everyday! My squonker bottle is like 6 or 7 ml capacity.

I will start vaping immediately and make a note of the flavour with each passing day, I guess.

As far as the erythritol goes, you can get crystals and make a 5-10% solution at home with PG, if you don't find it premade, I would imagine.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Erithritol seems to be the better option. Here in germany a few months ago a debate started about sucralose, since a study showed that it could be posibly that it starts to already break down at temperaturs of ~120C/260F. Since it's a chlorid form of sugar it could possibly convert into something really bad. They already announced that they will do some more research.

Btw. where do i get erithritol and is there something special i have to watch for? And does it have a specific taste like Stevia?

Some of the shops have it, but I have no idea if they ship to your part of the world, or what it would cost to ship!

If needing to go the mix your own route, do some checking to see what kind of percent you wind up with. Not sure what the "usual" mixed solution is, and that strength will, of course, influence how little you want to use.

For me, just a very slight sugar taste.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
UK?? Bye bye EU, Hello Brexit! No wonder it's so expensive now!!! :p
Better is if you can make it on your own. I googled a bit, not that I know any German, but most sites seem to be limited to Stevia at most.
Artificial sweeteners are often very esoteric complex chemicals. Iirc the first one was discovered because it was a waste product from another process and someone got some on their hands. Stevia is much simpler because it actually comes from a plant. Sucralose is “left handed sugar” and it took many years to create. Iirc orange peels are involved. Massive amounts of orange peels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread