The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

EVOD coils... again

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by Concat, Oct 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Concat

Concat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    I'm losing my marbles. I have 1.5 ohm, 1.8 ohm and 2.5 ohm universal coils and they all suck compared to the original EVOD coils. They are airy and have an awful taste that hits the back of my throat. Like a dry hit, only the vapor production is fine. I vape flavorless too, so there's nothing there to mask the flavor. I've tried to just power through it, hoping it will go away, but nope. I've tried fiddling with the wick and making sure there's no air lock, thinking it's wicking problem. Nope.

Is anyone else in agreement with me? I want to call Kanger out for ruining such an immensely popular design, but I dunno if I'm the odd man out or what is going on.

Does anyone know of a Canadian supplier that still has the old coils in stock? I got mine from Canvape and all they sell are the universal coils now.

As you can appreciate, this is my addiction so it's driving me mad. I feel like I have to start from ground zero and find something else entirely, or hunt down these elusive original EVOD coils... wherever they may be.

I've used the EVOD BCC for like a year now or something and they worked so beautifully! I recommend them to everyone... now I can't even vape with it.

2. bdpf

bdpf Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 9, 2013
    Toronto
    Well, I've only been vaping for a few weeks and started with the Evod. 2 Days ago I replaced my original coil with one of the universal ones (also from Canvape). While I didn't noticed a bad taste, what I noticed immediately was that this one was gurgling a lot while the original one never did.
    One thing I've read somewhere is that you could try using the protank coils on the Evod and see if it works better for you.

3. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    Can you even get the protank coils anymore? Canvape just ships the same coils regardless of what you order. I confirmed this on my last order by ordering one pack of "EVOD replacement coils" and one pack of "Protank replacement coils." They were identical.

From what I've been reading, the airy draw is very common, but no one mentions the taste. So maybe that part is all on me.

Kanger must need to take some business classes. They have this incredibly popular design, so what do they do? They redesign it. ......!

4. bdpf

Sep 9, 2013
    Toronto
    Weird since they are priced differently. The protank ones are $1 more expensive than the evods ???:confused:

5. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    Hmm, well that is strange... they were in different boxes, but I scrutinized them closely and they are identical.

6. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
  7. Battlelance

Battlelance Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    NB, Canada
    Every VapeOnly BCC I've used had a waaaaaaay too tight draw. Though, since I love evod/protank/universal/whatever coils, you might find the draw perfect. They do perform quite well, the odd gurgle, nothing a bump in voltage for a few drags won't fix.

The one thing I didn't like was the press-fit head design, after the 10th or so cleaning the silicone wore out and the head became unusable. I tend to clean and use to the point of complete failure, so YMMV.

8. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    Hmm well I do prefer a bit of a tighter draw... but not so tight that each drag lasts 10 seconds... haha. I'll try em out.

I messed around with my EVOD coils last night. Did a dry burn on a universal coil, replaced the pole with an original, and replaced the top wick with a smaller amount of ekowool. Definitely an improvement, but I don't want to have to do all that every time.

I think I'm just going to have to seek out something else. I mean, even my 1.8 ohm kangers are coming in at like 2.2 or higher. There's just too many issues with these universal coils and it requires too much time to find my sweet spot now. If the new coils hit your sweet spot out of the package, I can see why you love em. That was me with the original 1.8s.

9. Battlelance

Apr 8, 2012
    NB, Canada
    What are you using for a PV? I don't even bother to look at ohms anymore (except for rebuilds) and just buy whatever. I have my vamo set to 8 watts, and away I go. Since most of my coils are old now, I've started rebuilding with 30ga 7 wrap - I find the heads don't heat up as much with the 30ga v.s. 34ga (I don't have NR wire to rebuild exactly like the originals) and the flavour is nice.

Either way, I really think you'll like the vapeonlys. The draw is really tight for my liking, but you definitely won't need a 10 second draw. :) Give them a try. Also, Phil gave the Aspire BDCs a fairly glowing review and vaporus.com is carrying them now, so you might want to consider those as well.

Good luck :)

10. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    I prefer mech mods and unregulated Egos (knockoffs). I am particularly found of telescoping mechs. I have a MVP that sees some use, but even then I tend to keep it at 3.7 - 4.2 v.

The vapeonly minis were sold out at canvape (murphy's law), but I said screw it and ordered whatever BCC I could find. I'm going to try a Kanger T3S, Vision V Pure and the Vapeonly 3.5 mL.

The Vision piqured my interest because it says you can use EVOD coils in them. Perhaps I can use the Vision coils in the EVOD then?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I don't seem to care about my wallet today so I'll place an order at Vaporous.

Who's Phil? Gotta link?

EDIT: Damn.... there are like 10 different kinds of Aspires and no images on Vaporous. Haha... time to research I guess.

11. Talyon

Talyon Vape 4 Life Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2013
    Toronto
    I'll assume he or she is talking about Phil Busardo.

I use mainly the protank II, and the Protank II mini now and find the new coils by Kanger very nice. They give me a decent draw, great Vaper and work well with my 100% VG blends.

I believe Kanger changed the base design a bit by using smaller air vents, because of the overwhelming amount of complaints about the original protank being way to airy. I'm looking at both now and can see a noticeable difference in vent hole size.

Not clear if the coil itself changed though? But I'm sure it has, because to get rid of an airy draw on the protank one would use EVOD coils and this worked.

12. Battlelance

Apr 8, 2012
    NB, Canada
    Ah, ok then yeah accurate ohms would make a huge difference for your vape.

I've ordered a couple times from Vaporus, fast shipping and no complaints. Not the cheapest place, but they seem to always get the latest and greatest stuff first.

Oh, and phil = pbusardo. A PBusardo Review - The Aspire BDC - YouTube

13. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    It's my understanding that Kanger doesn't make the Protank coils or the EVOD coils any more. They only make the universal coils.

I'm just going to use my my existing Uni coils by modding them with EVOD parts and move on to something else.

The new design seems fairly contentious. Some people love them, others lament over the disappearance of the EVOD coils. The dry burn seems to have killed off the bad taste on my Uni coils. Perhaps I just got a batch with some contaminants. But my previous batch of 1.8 ohms were testing at like 2.2 ohms... The airy draw, coupled with the QC issues I'm experiencing just makes me want to jump ship.

It's a damn shame, because the EVOD really was the ultimate atty for me.

14. Alter

Alter Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    From all the air you just expelled saying how the heads are all different. I use the portank 1, protank 2, protank mini, sigelei puritank, and T3's all with the same protank heads and have no issues at all..BUT I have several boxes of older PT heads and I'm not happy either with the new heads cause the rubber positive grommet is softer than the older ones so you can squish the grommet blocking off air flow if you tighten up a bit too much. Spend the money and get some 32 kanthal and ekowool or silica, spend some time on Youtube and learn to rebuild the protank heads. Its real easy and MUCH MUCH better vape experience. Also replace the crappy stock flavor wicks with longer bigger 1 or 2mm silica cutoff a old top coil atty if you don't have any onhand. That will stop the leaking and gurgling.

15. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    I have both kanthal and ekowool. I'm a creature of convenience tho. I'll certainly sit down and rebuild one and see how that works out. In the end, however, I'd much rather just have some 2 dollar replacement heads that I know I like.

Interesting insight about the air flow issue. I noticed wicking problems started to arise, and I constantly had to give the body a 1/4 turn to get it going again. I can see a bubble or two pass by the window when I do it. But maybe we are talking about different things... I'm talking more about an airlock in the reservoir than airflow through the pole.

16. RaymondK

RaymondK Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2013
    GTA, Canada
    Concat, are you using the Kanger Evod battery or you are using VV or other device on your evod? I agreed on the inconsistency of the replacement heads. Some of them I have to change to 3.0V on my Zmax and the ugly taste will be gone but the vape is there. Other times I can vape at 3.9V. They were all 2.2 - 2.5 ohms.

17. bdpf

Sep 9, 2013
    Toronto
    Let us know how that works out.
    As for the airy draw, I find that blocking one of the air holes on the collar helps quite a bit on my mini protank 2.

18. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Universal coils? :blink: Who told you that?

Just to clarify, there are two different Kanger coils and they are made differently. The PT/EVOD coils and the T3s/Mt3s coils. The flat metal washer, right underneath the point where the wicks are located is different between the two. On the PT/EVOD heads that metal washer is larger and the fitting on the PT or EVOD base is larger to accommodate it as well. Mixing and matching PT & T3s heads and bases can result in problems.

19. Concat

Mar 3, 2011
    Edmonton, AB
    Ya sorry, I didn't mean to imply they stopped making the T3's.

Usually on 3.7 v mech mods, but I do have a VV device.

I like a good amount of throat hit, so sometimes it's a fine line between excellent TH and that horrible taste that comes with too hot a coil.

That said, a dry burn solved the bad taste issue on the coil I'm using today. Because of that I assume it was a contaminant issue rather than a wattage issue.

20. Pinggolfer

Pinggolfer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.