EVOD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenu2112

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Nashville
So I was at my local b&m today and there was a guy buying his first evod next to me. The clerk told him to make sure to NOT screw the threads all the way right when attaching the evod to the battery, saying that it would compromise the head.

I asked him about this and he didn't really elaborate much, just stating that they will last longer if you don't thread them all the way tight and don't put so much pressure on the heads. I personally don't see the science behind this, I figure all it's doing is making a better connection to the battery lead the tighter it is. But he's supposed too be the expert, so...

Thing is, on my knockoff evod, there is no way to NOT tighten them all the way...I guess they have a different threading than the Kanger originals, because they thread up to a point and then stop, without that last little bit of effort that my 'real' one seems to require. With my branded one, I can leave a little wiggle room and still have it securely attached.

In any case, has anyone else ever heard this about evods? If so, what is the logic behind it?

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Overtightening can press the parts that connect - in both the battery and the coil - in further.
Then the NEXT one won't make a connection!
You just need it tight enough to be secure and connect - not tightened with strength...

Not sure about the difference with real v knockoffs - I only got one fake one, and the threads were all crappy - so it might just be the way they're threaded...

ennagizer

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
South Florida, USA
I've been using evods for 4.5 months and I don't make the connection too tight. I connect it and when it has some resistance I stop. I noticed that if I screw too tightly some liquid will leak onto the battery. By making it secure, but not too tight, I haven't had any issues. A friend, on the other hand, kept damaging his evod's. Actually, this is the guy who got me into vaping to begin with. When I showed him that I don't tighten all the way he hasn't had any issues either. So, I'll agree with the clerk at the B&M on this one.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
The issue is with the battery. A battery has a center post which connects to the positive of the battery/circuit which has to make contact with the clearo's center pin. If you push that center post in too tight, too often, eventually the post will stay depressed. Some clearos and cartos have very short center pins and other long ones. If that post gets pushed in too far, those short pins will not make contact any more. This can be fixed a few times by using a small screwdriver to pull it out but eventually it will stay pushed in, making only the longest posts you use operable.

I have both a Kanger and a knockoff. I also have 4 different connections I screw them onto. I have to screw the knockoff almost all the way before they making contact with the batteries center post on all but 1 just like my stardust clearos. The Kanger makes contact much earlier because the center pin sticks out much further. The one that is different, I actually have to push the battery's center post a little just to get the threads to catch with the Kanger and I screw the knockoff about half way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread