Newport News, Virginia, United States
upload_2017-8-22_6-19-11.jpeg

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
40G?? How can you even see it, let alone not break it by coughing on it?

Blame it on Cigatron, he told me the finer the wrap, the better the flavor, so I had to test out the theory.

Fused Clapton, dual 26g TI, wrapped in SS316 40g, working great in TC using standard TI TFR.
I was surprised when I looked it up in Steam Engine, seems the core strands are what really count towards the TFR, not so much the wrap. Flavor is pretty good and seems to be improving as coil breaks in.

Used a drill, vise, fishing swivel, and a spool minder. Had to loosen spool minder a bit more than usual as that 40g breaks easy. Pulsed it a bit to work the hot spots out of the SS before wicking and was good to go. Seems the wrap itself can have a hot spot or two until pulsed.

upload_2017-8-22_6-34-1.png

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
My friends call me Cig and yes I did say the finer the wrap the better the flavor. Thing is, most peeps stop at 38g because anything smaller is too difficult to see and it takes miles of wire to wrap a pair of coils. Personally I didn't detect a flavor change moving from 38g to 40g. Moving from 38g down to 36g I didn't really detect a change either but it's one of those things where going from great flavor to maybe? slightly less great flavor is impossible for me to detect. Nothing scientific, I just didn't detect enough flavor change to justify the cons using wire gauges smaller than 36.
If you're happy with 40g that's all that really matters.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I have a similar sticking fire button on my black k1. The white one works fine. The black one sticks if I press on the left side of the button.
I also developed auto-firing today. It turned out that it was the DoggyStyle rda I was using. The long 510 pin makes it autofire. Hitting the fire button made it read SHORTED. I think the atty is pushing down the pin and hitting the battery + terminal. Maybe a little heat shrink in there will fix it. I just put a different atomizer on it (Taifun gs II) and it is working fine again. I got the DoggyStyle for pocket carrying which the k1 clearly is unsuited for so it isn't a big problem for me.
I opened it up to look at the sticking button. It hangs up on that left edge. I had hoped that filing would fix it but I haven't tried it yet. Your experience leads me to believe that more modifications will be required. I saw that the board was mounted a bit off center. Maybe that is the problem. I may open up the working white one (which doesn't stick and didn't auto-fire but I didn't force the atty down all the way to find out.)

I dunno, DR. The amount of silicon on both the bottom of the 510 and the top of the battery cap look like it would prevent a short and I didn't see any signs of potential shorts even looking with a jewelers loupe. Mine doesn't fire, the screen just lights up like it did fire so maybe it is firing for a very short time. Beats me.

On the other hand, I have a Bachelor on the K1, like to use single coils on a DNA75, and the center pin does stick out a little so, maybe, that could be the problem. I haven't had any SHORTED messages appear though. Next time I take it apart I will put some kapton tape up there just to be safe and might change the wiring out to silicon and up the gauge although I don't vape at very high power. Just the Clark Grizwald effect in me.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I've made 28ga Ti/34ga SS316L fused and 26ga Ti/34ga SS316L fused Clapton wires...the latter is pretty bad@$$.

Maybe I'll wrap a single 26ga Ti wire with 34 ga SS316L, cut it in half, then fuse them together with the 40ga SS316L...hmmm...
Look up "Staggered fused claptons".

Or if you are felling really adventurous "Stapled staggered fused claptons".

DSC_0798_2048x2048_2c0d020e-938a-4648-a3c6-876d13502072_2048x2048.jpg

Or.....

10175214_1665119893720421_564433096_n.jpg

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I've made 28ga Ti/34ga SS316L fused and 26ga Ti/34ga SS316L fused Clapton wires...the latter is pretty bad@$$.

Maybe I'll wrap a single 26ga Ti wire with 34 ga SS316L, cut it in half, then fuse them together with the 40ga SS316L...hmmm...
Oh, and BTW, whats the Golden Rule?
"Pics or it didnt happen!"

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
I saw the eclipse but it wasnt a full eclipse here in DC. I was fishing that day and I saw a whole bunch of people with their boats anchored up together getting drunk. Kind of weird, some of them were swimming in the river too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I saw the eclipse but it wasnt a full eclipse here in DC. I was fishing that day and I saw a whole bunch of people with their boats anchored up together getting drunk. Kind of weird, some of them were swimming in the river too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Did the fish start biting? Wonder if they were fooled into thinking it was evening, feeding time.

Users who are viewing this thread