Evolv-ing Thread

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Government Mandates :-x They take the fun out of every thing!
There is a new one looming, by 2020 the engine will shut off every time you stop at a traffic light. My kids new car does this now, I cant tell you how much that it Burns my ... to here the car restart at every traffic light :-x :-x :-x
So much so that I'm considering trading in my Truck before 2020 models come out!
To me this is the STUPIDEST!!!!! thing ever, I'm going to ruin my starter to save What? a beer cap full of gas at each light :-x :-x :-x

There are a lot of new vehicles with stop/start motors. The have special starters that can handle the excess starts. I know some can turn off the "feature".

Multiply the cap of gas time millions of cars and it adds up. It's not to save gas but reduce emissions because apparently, global warming is a thing :rolleyes:

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I use Dewalt cordless tools, lots of the 18v nicad and 20vmax li-ion variety. As someone mentioned nicad battery packs are way over priced so I just rebuild them with turnigy sub-c batteries. There's 15 cells in an 18v pack and I buy the cells by the case so with a little time and effort the packs cost me around $25 to rebuild.

I added a bunch of Dewalt 20vmax tools my 18v collection about three years ago and so far all those packs still work great. I did have one Dewalt 24vmax drill motor burn out but one of my workers was abusing it while drilling 1-1/2" holes through metal building gurts. You can't find good help anymore!
When my Dewalt batteries died, I looked at rebuilding the battery packs and it still cost over $40 per pack for the sub-c cells (NiMH, I think). Not worth rebuilding with NiCd no matter how cheap the cells are. I got a brand new drill with 2 new LiPo batteries for only a few bucks more.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
There are a lot of new vehicles with stop/start motors. The have special starters that can handle the excess starts. I know some can turn off the "feature".

Multiply the cap of gas time millions of cars and it adds up. It's not to save gas but reduce emissions because apparently, global warming is a thing :rolleyes:

There is a button to turn it off, but not permanently. You need to bypass it every time you start the car :( It may save a little gas & emissions, But it Bugs Me! I mean it really bugs Me!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Well that's just going to result in a lot of accidents, people will start running stop signs and red lights, around here it's already common and the police do nothing. They don't even give speeding tickets anymore unless your on the interstate and 20MPH over the limit, on the rural roads it's the wild west even in towns and villages. Upstate NY has gone to hell.

Who trusts the cross traffic driver to stop at a sign or observe a yellow warning light?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
There is a button to turn it off, but not permanently. You need to bypass it every time you start the car :( It may save a little gas & emissions, But it Bugs Me! I mean it really bugs Me!

It will do absolutely nothing at a light, restarting will increase wear and tear, increase breakdowns. I suppose that it will help some for those who sit twenty minutes in a drive through (five minutes to go inside).

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Wonder what a replacement starter costs, including the carbon cost, for one of those "fancy" starters. This kind of stuff is what happens when people who don't have a clue about the real world are able to do things by mandate. And I had the foolish idea we were a representative democracy.

Last edited:

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
My neighbor has a new JD riding lawn mower with an electric PTO to engage the mower deck, (it's a clutch like you see on a auto A/C compressor), every time they turn to make a pass or cross the paved driveway they turn that clutch off and back on, why I don't know. I bet they cycle it 50-60 times every time they mow the lawn, and at wide open throttle, if they only knew how much they are needlessly stressing & shorting the life of it & the belts... :facepalm:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My neighbor has a new JD riding lawn mower with an electric PTO to engage the mower deck, (it's a clutch like you see on a auto A/C compressor), every time they turn to make a pass or cross the paved driveway they turn that clutch off and back on, why I don't know. I bet they cycle it 50-60 times every time they mow the lawn, and at wide open throttle, if they only knew how much they are needlessly stressing & shorting the life of it & the belts... :facepalm:

Same with backing up, the blades stop, over and over unless you find the REO switch and use it. It has become second nature to me now. But I still keep eyeing the youtube video on a permanent override.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
When my Dewalt batteries died, I looked at rebuilding the battery packs and it still cost over $40 per pack for the sub-c cells (NiMH, I think). Not worth rebuilding with NiCd no matter how cheap the cells are. I got a brand new drill with 2 new LiPo batteries for only a few bucks more.

The Dewalt 18v xrp battery packs are NiCad. Are there really cordless drills using Lipos? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me ie if left fully charged they would puff and become dangerous to charge.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Same with backing up, the blades stop, over and over unless you find the REO switch and use it. It has become second nature to me now. But I still keep eyeing the youtube video on a permanent override.

Funny, my aunt's JD doesn't disengage the blades when backing up, it kills the engine unless you press the magic button.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Funny, my aunt's JD doesn't disengage the blades when backing up, it kills the engine unless you press the magic button.

That would drive me battier than I am by nature. If mine did that I would have jumpers or some other fix on that "safety feature" before the day was out.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY

Didn't think about the reverse switch, my older JD doesn't have that, it may be part of it but I have seen them, both the husband and the wife, reach up and turn it on and off when crossing the driveway of moving from one place to another just a few feet away. But they are .... about their yard, they go around with a blower and then a broom making sure they got all the clippings off the driveway and walkways. They are out there every other day raking leaf's, it's kind of a pointless chase. Until ALL the trees are bare and all the neighbors have theirs cleaned up the winds will just carry more into the yard. They're only leaf's, doesn't bother me, it's just mother nature's season changes but to each their own.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012

I've got a Crapman "professional" series. The ignition switch has two run positions, one that shuts down the engine if the blade is engaged and you go into reverse, the other just keeps the blade going no matter what direction you're going in. The only time I ever shut the mower deck down when mowing is if I've got to go over something that would damage the blades.

Th thing that drives me nuts is that it shuts down if I get off, or even raise up or lean wrong in the seat, unless the foot brake is set. One of these days I'll "fix" that.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States

They have been doing this for years over in the Middle East. The only real downside I saw (in practice) was the A/C got anemic when the engine stopped at a stop light.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
They have been doing this for years over in the Middle East. The only real downside I saw (in practice) was the A/C got anemic when the engine stopped at a stop light.

Yeah, I thought what it would be like to be stuck to a crawl on the highway from destruction or an accident on a 100 plus deg day.

Reactions: BillW50

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, then if the head pressure is too high the compressor won't start until it bleeds down making the AC even "better". Anybody think about the added stress on the battery, especially at night with headlights on or during the day with the AC running? I guess that added carbon footprint doesn't count either.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm rethinking the battery blower. Too many complaints about, surprise surprise, battery failures. The Mrs is already talking a Stihl. There's a dealer about three miles from us. I may end up with a backpack instead of hand held though.
I have hand-held, back-pack, and push blowers. I've got an acre and a half of "Savannah" (lawn with a mix of large maples and pin oaks scattered all over it and packed thickly all around it). I love how cool the trees keep the property during the summer, but leaf clean-up has always been a big chore.

I don't think I've used the hand-held since I got the backpack.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yup, where there's a will, there's a way. There's usually a some setting accessible via the manufacturer's scan tool that can turn it off. On our latest addition, there's a voltage threshold that can be adjusted, and adjusted it has been. :)

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
The Dewalt 18v xrp battery packs are NiCad. Are there really cordless drills using Lipos? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me ie if left fully charged they would puff and become dangerous to charge.

Most of Dewalt cordless drills have switched to LiIon years ago. They still have some NiCd powered drills but only for legacy tools that are being phased out. There are adapters to use the new batteries in older drills but why bother when a kit with a new drill, 2 batteries and a charger is not that much more than just the battery kit with adapter.

My Dremel cordless is LiIon powered. I love my old corded Dremel but wanted a cordless. The first one was NiCd so I passed. When the 10.8v cordless hit the market, I was like a fat kid on chocolate. That was easily 12+ yrs ago and I still have it and use it to this day. Same battery pack too. The new version is 12v and slimmer. I'll probably get one when this one dies.

My Bosch drill is LiIon powered and it's pretty awesome. It was one of the most powerful cordless drill at the time and came with 2 1.5ah slimline batteries that lasted longer than my old Dewalt NiCd's when they were new. I built a few shop benches and ammo racks with it and never needed the 2nd battery. I probably screwed over 200 2.5" wood screws.

This is the newer version with a fabric tool case. Mine came with a plastic case.
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bo...on-cordless-drill-drivers-ddb181-02-115131-p/

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My Bosch drill is LiIon powered and it's pretty awesome. It was one of the most powerful cordless drill at the time and came with 2 1.5ah slimline batteries that lasted longer than my old Dewalt NiCd's when they were new. I built a few shop benches and ammo racks with it and never needed the 2nd battery. I probably screwed over 200 2.5" wood screws.

This is the newer version with a fabric tool case. Mine came with a plastic case.
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bo...on-cordless-drill-drivers-ddb181-02-115131-p/
Agreed. I have the smaller 12V one and absolutely rocks for its size. Based on the size and shape of the battery pack, I'm near certain it's three 18650s in series. I haven't had a pack die yet, so I haven't taken one apart to be sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread