excess throat hit---what to do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

puneet1984

Oct 24, 2013
pune
Hello
I am new to vaping. In India getting juices and coils are extremely difficult and thus i decided to go for DIY.
i procured pure nic and diluted to 10% PG. Then i again diluted it to make a 1% (10mg/ml) juice with 70/30 VG/PG mix.
For flavouring i used menthol crystals and mixed 2gm of crystals in 18mg of PG and dissolved everything to get a 10% flavour.
Now when i mix 20 drops of the flavour to 20ml of the 1% e-liquid, the throat hit is too much and makes me cough.
Can anyone help me out and tell me how to make the throat hit less.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I am new to vaping.

Really? You've been a member here for over 7 years. o_O

Maybe dissolve your crystals in PG instead of VG, PG is the better flavor carrier. Try using half of what you normally add and make your juice 50/50 PG/VG.

Welcome back :thumbs:.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    "making juice 50/50." so i understand that the more VG (70%) is causing the throat hit??
    Okay, sorry about that. I always read the first number as PG. I need to stop doing that. lol.

You're mixing 2 grams of crystal in 18mg pg, or do you mean 18ml? Because 18mg sounds like nic base. I believe 1% sounds right, but always heard crystals are mixed 1:2 for dilution.

There also might be an off chance your dilution of the nicotine is incorrect. Does the final mix feel like 10mg without the menthol?

Do you have an upgraded device? What watts are you vaping at and what ohm coil?

Edit: it appears you've taken to sub ohming. Maybe lower your nic to 3-6mg.

Last edited:

puneet1984

Oct 24, 2013
    pune
    Well I have used juicemeup software for mixing.
    Regarding the mixing... i have not tested the 1% liquid without the flavour.
    Should i just add 5ml of VG in my 20ml of menthol mixed liquid and give it a go??

Regarding the menthol crystals, i weighed the crystals and VG to get 20gm of total solution with 2gm of crystals. forums i read before suggested to go with either 10% or 20% flavour strength.

Regarding my MOD, i am using Zeus-X tank with 0.4ohm dual coil setup (0.2ohm effective) with Luke S MOD. working at 40 watts. Also i have SKRR tank with 0.15ohm coil for Luke MOD and SkySolo pod.

Also as flavours are not available in my country due to the ban, i am trying to make my own flavours by mixing fresh fruits in VG and steeping them for few days. Will update on how it worked out.

Last edited:

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    any feedback/tips on this??
    If you are talking about actual fruit, don't do it. You will wreck yourself.

Same with grocery store extracts. Both contain oils or other nasties not meant to be inhaled.

Even the jury is still out on menthol crystal.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    i know but i think this time it is just to give a idea about my whole process of getting to 1% nic strength, from where i started and presently my problem is with the throat hit and not about pure nic. as you pointed out that there might be some error in initial mixing:cry:

Maybe top off your tank with just pg or vg to dilute the nic and or menthol to see if it feels better.

Also might want to look at getting a back up mod and tank.

• Agree
    Reactions: DPLongo22

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Also as flavours are not available in my country due to the ban

How did India ban flavors when these same flavor concentrates are used in food preparation?

Find a flavor vendor within a reasonable shipping cost region who:
    • sells flavorings that are safe for vaping
    • does not market the flavorings or it's own store as vaping-related.
    There must be at least one somewhere in the EU (which I assume will have reasonable shipping cost to India).

Besides, if you can get your hands on pure nic, you should be able to find a way to get your hands on proper non-oil-based flavorings. No?

i am trying to make my own flavours

This is why bans on otherwise harmless products are dangerous.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

puneet1984

Oct 24, 2013
    pune
    If you are talking about actual fruit, don't do it. You will wreck yourself.

Same with grocery store extracts. Both contain oils or other nasties not meant to be inhaled.

Even the jury is still out on menthol crystal.

For fruit flavours what i did is cut a strawberry into small pieces and put them in PG for steeping same for pomegranate, not used it till now.
    what do you mean by wreck yourself??
    for menthol crystals i used this YT video as reference

How did India ban flavors when these same flavor concentrates are used in food preparation?

Find a flavor vendor within a reasonable shipping cost region who:
    • sells flavorings that are safe for vaping
    • does not market the flavorings or it's own store as vaping-related.
    There must be at least one somewhere in the EU (which I assume will have reasonable shipping cost to India).
    Besides, if you can get your hands on pure nic, you should be able to find a way to get your hands on proper non-oil-based flavorings. No?
    This is why bans on otherwise harmless products are dangerous.

is this good for vaping??
    peppermint flavour

Here's a flavor vendor in India
    Flavourella | Indian shop for international flavour concentrates

They seem to sell all the popular flavor brands that we use in the Western world.

Do not use flavors that are oil based. If you are not sure, ask here on ECF in the DIY Eliquid section.

Will try the store and update here.

puneet1984

Oct 24, 2013
    pune
    Maybe top off your tank with just pg or vg to dilute the nic and or menthol to see if it feels better.

Also might want to look at getting a back up mod and tank.
    will try to see is diluting works..
    Also why to look for backup mod or tank??
    I regularly change the premade coils on SKRR tank and clean/change the Zeus coils and wicks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread