Experienced Vapers: What would setup would YOU suggest to a new vaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize, the thread title may be a bit misleading. I'm not looking for personal advice, as I'm no longer a new vaper.
I started with cigalikes years ago, and at that point, the technology available just didn't provide a good experience. This is no longer the case.

Given the spectacular variety of devices, I'm curious, what do other more experienced vapers suggest to newcomers? In the past, I would have pointed someone in the direction of the spinner-style batteries, along with the kanger aerotanks. Nowadays, I would probably suggest an MVP or iStick. Ironically enough, I've got a buddy who started vaping on an IPV3 and a dripper running dual-coils.

I'm just curious to hear what some other vapers would suggest to their family and friends just starting out.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Hi Kiwi5400 and welcome to the forum. I would recommend the iStick (30 or 50) and a Nautilus Mini just for the ease of use and flavor production.
I agree with this. The Eleaf GS Air or the GS Air M or MS would be a cheaper alternative to the Nautilus but either would work well.

Thanks. As far as I can tell, that's probably the best device out there to get a newbie to stick with it. Only problem I've run into is the B&M's in my area don't usually stock them. It's all spinners or high-end mods, very few middle-of-the-road devices. Guess it makes return customers; sure did in my case.

Also, funny handle, had to run through it twice before I got it.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
MVP3 and Subtank Mini.
Covers all the bases, subohm (0.5 OCC), "regular" vaping (1.2 OCC) and the rebuild-option.
MVP3 has (imo) better buttons vs iStick and the 30 watts is enough power.
K-Box with regular Subtank would be other alternative, but the need for batteries & charger drops it from first spot.
For those looking for a smaller device the choice would be Ego One.
Alas there really isn't a one kit to rule...errr cover all the bases and needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I recently started a friend on isticks with Aerotanks. I got a good deal in a group buy on the 50W isticks so I got her one of those, and gave her my old 20W, too. She had a lot of trouble hitting my larger airflow RTAs so we decided against the subohm clearos. And she wanted "easy and cheap" so I had her get 2 $14 Aerotanks. On the first day she was able to fill them and change her coils with minor instruction over the phone. I taught her how to clean the coils each night to extend their lifespan.

A different person, I may have made different suggestions to. I brought 5 of my setups to her house for her to try. She loved the isticks so that was a no brainer. And she liked the tighter airflow RBAs better.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I never have just one thing I suggest, tho I don't ever suggest an rba to any new vaper. There are other factors like budget, if they need it to be something like a cig-a-like, and yes there are still people out there who don't want anything past a cig-a-like or an ego, so why push them into something they don't want

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I usually discourage cigalikes. I warn that they may get you off of cigarettes and may get your foot in the door of vaping, but the majority of vapers who stick with it sooner or later advance up to either an eGo setup or advanced personal vaporizer. If they are uncomfortable over the "appearance" aspect of "well, it doesn't look like I'm smoking" or "It's so big", I say that most people feel that way in the beginning. Soon they will understand that the smaller batteries do not last long requiring numberous batteries to be able to vape all day, and are very limited in the juice delivery devices that they can use. "Remember, you will no longer be a smoker, but a vaper. It's different; a new lifestyle with different expectations".

I suggest that they can go with an intermediate setup like an Ego battery/clearomizer setup. A Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vaper Two batteries and two toppers (vaper's first rule: "Backups for your backups")

Or, they can do what I did. I started with cigalikes and after a couple of weeks moved up. I skipped the eGo stage and went straight to a mechanical mod and never looked back. This gave me much longer battery time and more options for juice delivery devices.

Knowing what I know now, I'm not so sure I'd recommend a mechanical mod to a beginner. The battery in my first mechanical mod exploded, that's why I am now a proponent of battery safety here on ECF. A regulated mod is SAFER for a new vaper, and offers more options and features (variable power, built-in ohm and voltage meters, built-in protective circuitry).

I would never recommend anything rebuildable for someone new no matter how technically inclined they were. There's enough to learn about vaping before introducing them to Ohm's Law, battery safety & specifications, coil builds, wicking choices, etc which likely would be overwhelming and potentially dangerous.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Last edited:
Reactions: clnire

HNLVLYFE

Apr 21, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
I Agree, i remember starting off with a cigalike in 2007. Although the gaping industry has changed and upgraded, i personally do not push new vapers towards cigalikes due to the fact some give a lot of new vapers a bad experience.

I honestly would push a new vaper to an eGo starter kit, in my experience through out the years i'd like to start people off either with an "eGo ONE" or if people want something similar to a cig i direct them to a "roll by Joytech" those are one of the best quality vapors I've came across for beginners.

But to save you money in the long wrong i would skip straight to the regulated mods with newer tanks out there.

So many options to choose from, but to each individual it is different.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
iStick 50W and a Nautilus Mini for sure. Easy as heck to use, works great, and won't leave the person with that "upgrade hunger" (ie: chasing the "perfect vape"). Subtank is an option too, but definitely with a regulated device in either situation.

If they knew they wanted to go straight to dripping (some friends try my dripper and immediately know that's the experience they want), I'd suggest a Sigelei 150W and something like a Doge or Aeolus RDA. Something simple that offers protection and will prevent them from needing to upgrade soon.

Jim Beam

Feb 7, 2015
Cut And Shoot Texas
Methinks it would be easier for someone to go from ciggs to vape & stick with it.
Would save money and time by going with a system that can deliver.
Regulated mod like a 50 watt & no less than a 30 watt device.
Kayfun lite uses a single coil.
I make my own coils, but you can buy pre built coils.
You regulated mod usely has a ohms meter and safety meter.
Though yeah can get a seperate ohms meter for ten buxs.
Mods with built in battery are ok.
Though batteries dont last after so many charges.
Also if you vape alot, methinks it best to have a mod that you can simply change out battery.
Avoid mods that you have to remove tiny screws... Such a hassle when on thr go.
You'll love the flavor and amount of vape.
Protanks & semilar tanks lack flavor and vape.
Well, wished I'd skipped those start of kits.
You'll soon learn that my advice is within reason.

Jim

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
There are many people, some right here in ECF, that have vaped for years and are perfectly happy with their cig-a-like or their ego. So you can't say everyone is going to upgrade or everyone will do this or that.

Part of the great thing with vaping is there are options out there, but how do you know what will work for you or what you will like if you only know of one thing?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are many people, some right here in ECF, that have vaped for years and are perfectly happy with their cig-a-like or their ego. So you can't say everyone is going to upgrade or everyone will do this or that.

Part of the great thing with vaping is there are options out there, but how do you know what will work for you or what you will like if you only know of one thing?
As many of you may know, I used to work for a popular vape shop.

A few of our customers started out and continued to use cigalikes for years and had no interest in advancing up. Which was sort of a problem because our shop didn't always keep the pre-filled cartridges in stock for them due to their unpopularity. I told these folks that they could fill their own cartridges from bottled e-liquid, but many of them did not want to be bothered doing that. Some would put the old Nano clearomizers on their cigalikes because they were easier to fill than cartridges/cartos. The cigalikes worked out for these people, although I personally could not have put up with what they went through.

A higher number of people had been using an eGo setup for years and were equally happy, with no interest to get into mods.

I used cartotanks for over two years and was happy with them. However, once I tried rebuilding and became comfortable rebuilding, I set those cartotanks away for good about a year ago. I couldn't imagine myself going back to them. But I had to be "ready" to make that next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread