Experienced Vapers: What would setup would YOU suggest to a new vaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome Kiwi, Holden, and Redshift!

I loved my MVP2.0s as a solid mod. I've since upgraded (a number of times :oops:), and if I had to start all over again, I'd love to start with an MVP30W or an iStick 30 or 50. I resurrected my Nautilus tanks after a few months off. I rotate through some Kanger Protank2s as well (but only because I learned to rebuild my EVOD heads)

I personally think the Subtank series might be a little much for a new vaper. It tends to be a very airy draw (yes, you can close it up quite a bit, but it just doesn't "feel" right with that tank), and though I like that now, I'm not so sure I would have liked it when I first started (not including my dabble with cigalikes five years ago) 14 months ago.

Red, LOVE me some Castle Long :D Nice call on that setup for your buddy!

I haven't tried the eleaf tanks, but I see GREAT comments on them. Moderately simple, moderately inexpensive - that's what's worked for me.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I apologize, the thread title may be a bit misleading. I'm not looking for personal advice, as I'm no longer a new vaper.
    I started with cigalikes years ago, and at that point, the technology available just didn't provide a good experience. This is no longer the case.

Given the spectacular variety of devices, I'm curious, what do other more experienced vapers suggest to newcomers? In the past, I would have pointed someone in the direction of the spinner-style batteries, along with the kanger aerotanks. Nowadays, I would probably suggest an MVP or iStick. Ironically enough, I've got a buddy who started vaping on an IPV3 and a dripper running dual-coils.

I'm just curious to hear what some other vapers would suggest to their family and friends just starting out.

I think your ideas are fine. Maybe a VV3 ( more functions) instead of the Spinner. Between the little box mods killing other PV sales and the FDA, there are alot of inexpensive starter kits for anyone.
    I'm a cartomiser guy, but they don't seem to work with newcomers well. I guess whatever the newest and best clearomiser is at the time. I'm sure it won't leak or gurgle or dry hit. It's a shame tho that most are quite an investment compared to a cartomiser.

Last edited:

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    Problem with being an "experienced vaper" is that one may be clueless as to what is good for beginners.

Sucks trying not to sound like a douche while explaining why it would be no good "just buying what I'm using".

You can always advise based on a person's lung condition. I'll never be able to sub ohm most likely because of my COPD. A regulated mod and several clearos are fine for me. Most people quitting a long term smoking habit would probably need a beginning phase of mouth to lung vaping/equipment. And most beginners don't want to rebuild coils right off the bat. Some do, but probably most don't, and talking about it scares us away.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    You can always advise based on a person's lung condition. I'll never be able to sub ohm most likely because of my COPD. A regulated mod and several clearos are fine for me. Most people quitting a long term smoking habit would probably need a beginning phase of mouth to lung vaping/equipment. And most beginners don't want to rebuild coils right off the bat. Some do, but probably most don't, and talking about it scares us away.

Do you think that if 20 newcomers were asked nowadays for a good starter kit that it'd be that much different than a more experienced vaper would recommend ?

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    Do you think that if 20 newcomers were asked nowadays for a good starter kit that it'd be that much different than a more experienced vaper would recommend ?

I've seen a lot of people recommend subtanks to new people just starting out. I'm so glad no one advised me that way! :)

Reactions: Baditude

NancyR

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2012
    Washington State

Puff, while I am not trying to get you to do something you don't want to I thought I would let you know, I have COPD, have for years now, and I have asthma. When I started vaping there were times I couldn't take the vapor into my lungs at all, now I can lung hit and even do subohm if I choose to.

There has been some research lately that suggests vaping can actually help asthmatics and maybe even revers some of the damage we have doneIJERPH | Free Full-Text | Effect of Smoking Abstinence and Reduction in Asthmatic Smokers Switching to Electronic Cigarettes: Evidence for Harm Reversal

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I have been vaping for less than, but the better part of a year. I've answered several questions about vaporizing in general, but if someone was to ask me specific hardware questions, I would recommend an eGo Clearomizer rig. That's what I started on, what I use now (with a slightly different tank, but its still a clearo), and what I would be able to talk best about. I haven't used any other hardware, so I won't talk about it.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    Puff, while I am not trying to get you to do something you don't want to I thought I would let you know, I have COPD, have for years now, and I have asthma. When I started vaping there were times I couldn't take the vapor into my lungs at all, now I can lung hit and even do subohm if I choose to.

There has been some research lately that suggests vaping can actually help asthmatics and maybe even revers some of the damage we have doneIJERPH | Free Full-Text | Effect of Smoking Abstinence and Reduction in Asthmatic Smokers Switching to Electronic Cigarettes: Evidence for Harm Reversal

That's wonderful! Thanks for the article. :)

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    Back in the day, I would always recommend a Kanger Evod kit as simple and reliable...and you know, I think I still would.

Seems to me that a smoker, especially a long term smoker, might be a bit intimidated by a box shaped mode and lots of coil winding. Even after 2 1/2 years, I've never been able to get accustomed to the box shape. I do love me some Kayfuns tho.

Everyone is going to be different. The key is to get started, learn and progress at your own pace. But by all means, get started on something...anything. The sooner the better.

Sarasotared

Feb 26, 2015
    Sarasota fl
    I'm a fairly new vapor (2mths). I started with G6 then moved to evod within 2 wks. I wish I listened to the advice on here and saved money skipping the cigs a likes but not knowing any vapors to help me I was scared with all the tanks juice etc. I would suggest an evod starter kit(I like them better than ego) but would highly recommend a top coil clearo(best $3 I spent) If I had started with the evod tank I wouldn't have quit, the draw was much too airy. My I stick 50 is in the mail w my nautilus mini. We shall see if all the hype is worth it. If not the iclear and t2 w evods are satisfying enough to keep me off analogs.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Southern California
    If they started on cigalikes, they're probably most interested in extended battery life at first so I'd suggest a 15-30w regulated box mod with a single user-replaceable battery. Most are running about $1 per watt nowadays so it seems cheaper than buying three toss-away spinners and the electronics in boxes usually make it past 500 recharges. Pt3 is only a few bucks and uses the same coils as an AT, but I'd encourage them to try non-Kanger tanks, clearos, even carto-tanks and RTAs.

If they're smoker/never-vapers looking at harm reduction, I'll steer them to a plug-and-play carto/tanko cigalike designed for mouth-inhales that delivers a higher-level of nicotine without a lot of vapor, and that is easy to explain to the grandkids and the boss. A $20-30 setup leaves room for them to play with nic levels and flavors to find what works to break the analog bond and to try out some cheap BC vs TC clearos as they explore their vaping style. If they stay with vaping more than a few weeks (and many don't) then it's on to battery life. And if they do bail on vaping, there's no hard feelings afterward for my recommending they spend the price of a carton of smokes, as opposed to recommending they spend $300 out of the starting gate on something they find they won't use, either because they regress to cigarettes or advance to not breathing in any foreign substance at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread