Extracting from other than tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
Yes, I'm a newbie. I've been reading for two hours. There is certainly a wealth of knowledge here. Certainly more than my little grey matter can fathom. That being said, I've looked and looked and either what i want to know is eluding me or it just plain doesn't exist.

So my question is, and please excuse me if this is the wrong forum for it, but how does one go about extracting the flavor from vegitation? I'm not looking to extract anything from ........., but a similar plant. I'd like to be able to extract the flavor from hops. I can buy pellet hops (heck, I have a bunch in my freezer), or I can harvest mine when they are ready. It's the lulupin in the flower that gives a hop its flavor. I'm not overly sure how it's done in pellet form, but I suspect it doesn't matter.

If someone can either briefly explain the process to me or point me to a post or group of posts that answer my question, I'd certainly appreciate it. Furthermore, if my extraction works, and you're a hop head beer lover such as myself, I'd gladly share some with you.

At any rate, thank you for whatever help you deem fit.

Thanks,
RR

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
Extracting the flavor from hops should be very similar to extracting the flavor from tobacco. I use the a room temp maceration, just covering the plant material with PG and let it soak for a month in a mason jar with lid. Others use a heat assisted method that places the jar in warm water which speeds up the process. Yet another heat assisted method uses short bursts in a microwave to warm the liquid. All of these methods are detailed in threads in this forum.

Extracting hops is on my list to try. Let us know what method sounds like what you want to try and someone will come along with help.

johni

Extractor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
Rex, I use PG for extracting as it filters much easier than VG. Most extracts will used at 10 to 20% to make juice so you can still achieve a fairly high VG mix. I understand some folks are allergic to PG and I am somewhat sensitive to high PG mixes myself, but a 100% PG extraction has worked best for me.

Hope your extraction goes well. I'd swap some good tobacco extract for hops extract.:)

Hope your extraction goes well. I'd swap some good tobacco extract for hops extract.:)

johni, I need to get me some PG. It's not as readily available from a "brick and mortar" store as VG is as far as I've found. But I'd be happy to trade you when I'm done. Keep in mind though, I've never extracted or made my own juice for that matter. You may not want some of my extract. LOL

So I finally got around to ordering some ingredients. Bought some PG, VG, and some 50/50 60mg nic. I'm starting a small batch right now. Put 10ml of cascade pellet hops in a test tube and covered it with 20ml of PG. I added 10ml more PG to it after a day. That was yesterday. I guess I'll just let it steep for a bit, although it's incredibly fragrant at this point and the pg has turned an army green color.

A question I have is, how long should I let it steep before I sample it? And when I do sample it, how should I do so? Should I just mix it 50/50 with vg and vape it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread