The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Discussion in 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco' started by Str8vision, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nostradadus

nostradadus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2014
    I know I’m a little late to the party, but, I have to say... Dunhill's Royal Yacht is a darn fine straight Virginia. Suitably strong and punchy, yet has that smooth sweetness of a quality Va. I know it falls in the aromatic category, however, I’m picking up nothing of a cased aromatic flavor. Plum, some say? Well, OK... if you say so. Taste is subjective. ;) I don’t taste it.

My process was a simple PG maceration, heat bump at 125*F for 8hrs., cool steeped for 7 months, and filtered to 2.5um; produced 150ml of extract. Mix ratio is 15%... spot on goodness.

This extraction will last me quite a while... 975ml of finished juice... but, fortunately I have 25g of RY cellared for when the jar runs dry.

I went seaching for another comparable Dunhill to cellar before it’s all gone:

Home | Chicago's Pipe, Cigar & Tobacco Store | Iwan Ries & Co.

...didn’t even know these guys existed until yesterday. Got a tin on the way for cellaring purposes :cool: ... a good ole Va/Per for the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    I don't know exactly what or how they do it but Dunhill does Virginia tobaccos extremely well, best I've tasted. Their Elizabethan mixture was a unique treat, the Virginia tobacco was large and in charge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    Did you ever get around to giving this a go?

I’ve got a jar on the shelf which is about to get filtered. Hopefully, it will prove to be keep-worthy for mixing purposes. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    I haven't bought/tried any new tobaccos in a very long time, perhaps later this year. There are several on my radar. Be sure and post your impression on that one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. checkum

checkum Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    • Like Like x 1
  6. f1vefour

f1vefour Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2013
    Pensacola
    Do you actually use a cellar?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    Not so much ;)... cellaring is just the term I use for the cool dark closet where I keep my tobacco stash in a big ole cardboard box.

8. f1vefour

f1vefour Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2013
    Pensacola
    I was thinking a dank cellar may not be the best place for liquids.

Not that it matters much if in a sealed container of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. checkum

May 8, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    upload_2019-3-8_7-56-40.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    Reporting on:
    G.L. Pease ~ Haddo’s Delight

Here’s the sales listing write up:
    Black Cavendish
    Burley
    Perique
    Virginia
    (Aromatic)

Haddo's Delight is a stout blend of several Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut Perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white Burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful blend for the Perique lover!

My take... the above description pretty much says it all. This is a Perique lovers extraction! And IMO, if you like Va/Per blends in the least, you’re going to love this tobacco.

Back in the day, when I was mixing synth concentrates, I found my favorite mixes leaning towards a slightly sweet and hearty tobacco, with a rum and/or fig note. Since there was no concentrate on the market which provided a palitable raisin note, I was always out of luck in that department. Haddo’s Delight ticks all the boxes. As of late, a tobacco blend which carried any flavor other than straight up tobacco, was not held in high regards. This G.L. Pease blend breaks my cycle of Plain Jane tobacco blends. Delish!

As per usual... my maceration technique was a straight PG solvent, heat bumped at 125*F for 8hrs, cool steeped for around 4 months, and filtered down to 2.5 microns.

I don’t see this tobacco disappearing any time soon, but it might be worth throwing a tin on your next order for your cellared stock.

G. L. Pease Haddo's Delight 2oz | Buy G. L. Pease Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes

• Like Like x 3
  12. 67Tele

67Tele Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2014
    Austin
    I think I have all those ingredients on their lonesome already extracted. Gotta put my mixing hat on and see what happens.

Thanks for the review.

• Like Like x 3
  13. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Thanks for the link and heads-up @nostradadus I hadn't shopped Cup O' Joes before. Looks like another good source for tobaccos!

• Like Like x 1
  15. nostradadus

Sep 6, 2014
    They're nice folks and lightning fast with shipping product out the door; typically, same day ship upon ordering.

Here’s a little tip for when they don’t have a sale going... stick what you want in your cart and then logout. In a day or so, you’ll usually get an email with a 10% off coupon attached. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. checkum

May 8, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    Welcome to Naturally-Extracted-Tobacco, LLC
    Manufacturers of authentic tobacco extracts and e-Liquids

Proud Members of the
    Smoke-Free Alternatives Trade Association
    since 2015!

[​IMG]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Announcing a Spring Sale!

20% off your order

No code needed

Sale ends Sunday

May 12th at 11:59 PM CST

• Like Like x 2
  17. PapawBrett

PapawBrett Travelin' Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Filtering today after 3 months in PG. Funny how I used to fret over every drop, now I just get what I can and move on to the next.
    The usual flavors (Decatur Black Cherry, Stokkebye's 84 Turkish, Scotty's Honey & Chocolate, H&H LA Red and VA Spice.) Substituting Sutliffs' Stoved Black VA for McClellan's. Hopefully it's comparable.
    And some new ones for the sweet tooth. Lane BCA, MacBaron Golden Extra, and Sutliff's Christmas Spice, Golden Cavendish and Creamy Butterscotch.
    An all day exercise to provide month's of flavor. Not a bad idea ...

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.