Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
NET.com starting to decline??? Wow he has been the sort-of steady rock of NET vendors since I started vaping NETs sometimes back in 2014-15.

I have a question for those who extract using PGA...in my state we now only go up to everclear at a proof of 151 i believe. We do not have everclear at 190 proof or 195.

Is this high enough? I assume not. Any ideas on what to use if 190 proof everclear is not available?

Reactions: Cynophobe

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
....I have a question for those who extract using PGA...in my state we now only go up to everclear at a proof of 151 i believe. We do not have everclear at 190 proof or 195.

Is this high enough? I assume not. Any ideas on what to use if 190 proof everclear is not available?

You could always just use PG as the extraction solvent.

My experiments using 151 proof PGA ended in failure, just too much water content. There are several ways available to convert 151 to 190+ but only one way that doesn't require serious lab gear, " 3A molecular sieves". For more info read pages 64 through 69 in this thread; Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
PGA can be purified (freeze filtered) resulting in a much cleaner extract (less gunky NET) whereas PG can't. Both solvents will yield great flavor. A room temperature long term soak using PG is both inexpensive and bulletproof (virtually impossible to mess up) whereas PGA is more expensive and difficult for some people to obtain, hot processing requires more equipment and can be tricky. For newcomers to DIY NET I normally suggest a room temperature PG soak, for experienced DIY NET enthusiasts I encourage stepping up to PGA (if 190 proof PGA is available).

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Just me. (and a few others) ...
A half pint Mason jar is great. Stuff one once of tobacco into the jar, and top off with PG. Screw the lid on tight and place in away from direct sunlight (closet shelf ?) for eight weeks.
I use an aero press for filtering. I bought an additional metal screen filter, and place it in the bottom of the filter cup, then use the filter paper that came with it. Then I refilter, only this time I replace the filter paper with 2 macron lab paper, cut to size. Filtration is key, so whatever method you use, take your time and do it well.
just my :2c:

NET.com starting to decline??? Wow he has been the sort-of steady rock of NET vendors since I started vaping NETs sometimes back in 2014-15.

I have a question for those who extract using PGA...in my state we now only go up to everclear at a proof of 151 i believe. We do not have everclear at 190 proof or 195.

2 other people that I know have ordered from Clay @ NET & had the same issues with the extracts. It may have been just a bad batch, I don't know. I hope I'm wrong but it's a pain to spend all the money and anticipation shipping it to Australia when it's a dud, then no response was the icing on the 'vape' for me personally. The 'extract blends' that he has on offer all looked wonderful on the site.
I use a mix of say, 50ml PG and 10ml of PGA for cold macerating. Otherwise, just PG with good resulting extracts.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I just started trying my own thing ....

Yeah... after my one and only purchase of 10 different NET’s from net-dot-com, I said “Heck... I can do this!” and have never looked back or purchased premade NET again. Once you realize you can create 1000ml of ready to vape NET for under $15... it’s kind of a no brainer to DIY NET.

I adore Sutliff Vanilla Custard NET that I diy'd, it has a creamy and sweet vanilla taste with a deep cavendish note on the exhale. (I thought I'd give it a go describing the stuff) I can say that Sutliff Rum & Maple is definitely what it says on the box too. I'm not really 'up to speed' on the flavours of tobacco types as yet, as this is my first attempt at NET diy. I started this jaunt about 4 months ago. It's a winner for me! To this point in time I have 14 different macerations happening with nothing smelling like it's a 'bin job'. I've tried 4 that have been filtered and put through my rda. (Le Supersonic)

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
20% off Presbyterian tobacco @ Smokingpipes.com

Attachments

• 003-054-0001Presbyterian.jpg
    003-054-0001Presbyterian.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 14

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I have PG based extracts that are over three years old and taste better now than when they were fresh, have not had any problems with bacteria or anything else....so far. I've never had an extract go bad or develop an off flavor during storage. I store extracts in airtight, tinted glass bottles kept inside a large credenza. Still have no idea how long they'll remain viable under these conditions but am determined to find out. Because all extracts are suspended in a bacteriostatic base I seriously doubt bacteria will be their undoing or even an issue, oxidation will likely be the cause of their ultimate demise. While PG and VG are bacteriostatic (prohibiting growth), PGA (ethanol), is actually bactericidal rapidly killing all vegetative forms of bacteria. It's also tuberculocidal, fungicidal, and virucidal. Even so I don't expect PGA extracts to be as long lived as those stored in PG because I believe over time the aggressive nature of ethanol will, itself, distort/modify the tobacco flavor. My oldest PGA based extract is only around 8 months old so I guess time will tell.

From Way-yy back in this thread ....
Str8, I've got some extracts two and three years old now. Cold Maceration in PG. I am wondering how much longer will these hold up ? Stored in sealed Mason Jars, in a box, dark place (top shelf closet).
Maybe I should think about newer extracts ?

f1vefour

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Emerald Coast
Str8, I've got some extracts two and three years old now. Cold Maceration in PG. I am wondering how much longer will these hold up ? Stored in sealed Mason Jars, in a box, dark place (top shelf closet).
I just found a couple in the back of my shelf that are about two years old and was wondering the same thing.

PG roughly has a 2 year shelf life, introducing plant based flavoring surely doesn't extend this.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Reactions: f1vefour

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Stored at room temperature, oxidation will eventually dull/mute/alter the flavor. When, depends on the tobacco, nic and extraction process that was used. Cold extracted flavor is the most stable. Stored at room temperature, NET usually reached its peak flavor after a year. After two years or so, the flavor slowly begins to degrade. If your NETs are over two years old it might be time to start up some new ones.

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
Starting in late december, I started my first NET extractions. I got some virginia and burley from leafonly (the virginia was labeled "virginia (r)" at leafonly i believe, which may mean "red" virginia? Anyway, I cut up the leaves with scissors (maybe not the best route but its what I had) and put in with PG into mason jars.

Then last week I used the last 8 of my empty mason jars for tobacco I had just gotten: 3 jars with cigars, 5 with various kinds of pipe tobaccos. In these, I used a ~85/15 mix of pg/VG....to see if VG may extract a different flavor profile in addition to the PG...who knows.

I noticed in about 8 of the 12 jars I accidentally put a bit more PG than I suspected as the tobacco was still fluffy. But it's not that bad.

Well, here's he long wait beginning :)

beachbumcm

May 11, 2015
oh, an interesting thing ... I got out a sample of the virgnia (R) that had been sitting for about 3 weeks at the time of getting the sample. I mixed up a small tester at around 20%. Noticed it's got a strong hay/grassy flavor. I hope with more extraction time this will mellow out, or at least have other tobacco flavors catch up with those flavor notes.

It reminded me of one particular NET vendor's juices from a couple years back. I cant remember if it was vaperite or someone else, but thought it was interesting how it was so similar.

Reactions: Str8vision

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
This sounds interesting, from P&C:

This week’s Tobacco of the Week is another fan favorite that came out of nowhere. CAO had four successful aromatic blends that became really popular and they hadn’t introduced anything new for a while. Then, about five years ago they came out with CAO Black, a Burley and black Cavendish blend with a crisp note of raspberry with a subtle note of cocoa and vanilla. It quickly became the #1-selling blend in the CAO lineup and never looked back. For the next week we’re shaving 15% off the price of this popular aromatic that’s already affordable. Grab some now and save!

Reactions: Str8vision

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
This sounds interesting, from P&C:

This week’s Tobacco of the Week is another fan favorite that came out of nowhere. CAO had four successful aromatic blends that became really popular and they hadn’t introduced anything new for a while. Then, about five years ago they came out with CAO Black, a Burley and black Cavendish blend with a crisp note of raspberry with a subtle note of cocoa and vanilla. It quickly became the #1-selling blend in the CAO lineup and never looked back. For the next week we’re shaving 15% off the price of this popular aromatic that’s already affordable. Grab some now and save!

In my very limited experiences (cold maceration on PG only), anything tobacco with a fruity top note comes out horribly putrid. As in, make you want to hurl putrid.
Would using a heated Organic Ethyl Alcohol give a better result ? I wouldn't know, but maybe someone more experienced like @Str8vision could help with that.
Me personally, I stay away from fruity tobaccos as they just haven't worked out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread