The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Discussion in 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco' started by Str8vision, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. PapawBrett

PapawBrett Travelin' Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    That is depressing. Is the vendor still the original owner ? I think a one-time ECF regular (germs ..?) started that company a few years back, but was having some difficulties in his personal life. His start-up was successful, but I went in another direction not long after. Then MyVapeJuice closed up for Gub'ment intrusion, and I just started trying my own thing ....

• Like Like x 2
  2. Boxster

Boxster Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    Buda, Tx
    Not Germs. His ECF name was CarbonThief.
    Blast from the past... Thread started by scarf-ace.
    Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea

• Like Like x 1
  3. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    I knew it was an old friend from the ECF, just couldn't remember which one ...

4. beachbumcm

beachbumcm Full Member

May 11, 2015
    NET.com starting to decline??? Wow he has been the sort-of steady rock of NET vendors since I started vaping NETs sometimes back in 2014-15.

I have a question for those who extract using PGA...in my state we now only go up to everclear at a proof of 151 i believe. We do not have everclear at 190 proof or 195.

Is this high enough? I assume not. Any ideas on what to use if 190 proof everclear is not available?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Str8vision

Str8vision Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    You could always just use PG as the extraction solvent.

My experiments using 151 proof PGA ended in failure, just too much water content. There are several ways available to convert 151 to 190+ but only one way that doesn't require serious lab gear, " 3A molecular sieves". For more info read pages 64 through 69 in this thread; Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Or maybe just do PG cold maceration. Easier, but takes longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. beachbumcm

beachbumcm Full Member

May 11, 2015
    Thanks to both of you. I was actually going to do a cold maceration. So PG will work out perfectly for me then. I'll stick to that. My big bottle gets here tomorrow :p

So is the only difference between PG and PGA for doing this is just the ease of filtering?

8. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    PGA can be purified (freeze filtered) resulting in a much cleaner extract (less gunky NET) whereas PG can't. Both solvents will yield great flavor. A room temperature long term soak using PG is both inexpensive and bulletproof (virtually impossible to mess up) whereas PGA is more expensive and difficult for some people to obtain, hot processing requires more equipment and can be tricky. For newcomers to DIY NET I normally suggest a room temperature PG soak, for experienced DIY NET enthusiasts I encourage stepping up to PGA (if 190 proof PGA is available).

• Like Like x 2
  9. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Just me. (and a few others) ...
    A half pint Mason jar is great. Stuff one once of tobacco into the jar, and top off with PG. Screw the lid on tight and place in away from direct sunlight (closet shelf ?) for eight weeks.
    I use an aero press for filtering. I bought an additional metal screen filter, and place it in the bottom of the filter cup, then use the filter paper that came with it. Then I refilter, only this time I replace the filter paper with 2 macron lab paper, cut to size. Filtration is key, so whatever method you use, take your time and do it well.
    just my :2c:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cynophobe

Cynophobe Senior Member ECF Veteran

2 other people that I know have ordered from Clay @ NET & had the same issues with the extracts. It may have been just a bad batch, I don't know. I hope I'm wrong but it's a pain to spend all the money and anticipation shipping it to Australia when it's a dud, then no response was the icing on the 'vape' for me personally. The 'extract blends' that he has on offer all looked wonderful on the site.
    I use a mix of say, 50ml PG and 10ml of PGA for cold macerating. Otherwise, just PG with good resulting extracts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. nostradadus

nostradadus Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2014
    Yeah... after my one and only purchase of 10 different NET’s from net-dot-com, I said “Heck... I can do this!” and have never looked back or purchased premade NET again. Once you realize you can create 1000ml of ready to vape NET for under $15... it’s kind of a no brainer to DIY NET.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cynophobe

Cynophobe Senior Member ECF Veteran

I adore Sutliff Vanilla Custard NET that I diy'd, it has a creamy and sweet vanilla taste with a deep cavendish note on the exhale. (I thought I'd give it a go describing the stuff) I can say that Sutliff Rum & Maple is definitely what it says on the box too. I'm not really 'up to speed' on the flavours of tobacco types as yet, as this is my first attempt at NET diy. I started this jaunt about 4 months ago. It's a winner for me! To this point in time I have 14 different macerations happening with nothing smelling like it's a 'bin job'. I've tried 4 that have been filtered and put through my rda. (Le Supersonic)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. checkum

checkum Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    20% off Presbyterian tobacco @ Smokingpipes.com

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Never extracted it but a Latakia, Oriental and Virginia blend does sound interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. PapawBrett

Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    From Way-yy back in this thread ....
    Str8, I've got some extracts two and three years old now. Cold Maceration in PG. I am wondering how much longer will these hold up ? Stored in sealed Mason Jars, in a box, dark place (top shelf closet).
    Maybe I should think about newer extracts ?

16. f1vefour

f1vefour Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2013
    Pensacola
    I just found a couple in the back of my shelf that are about two years old and was wondering the same thing.

PG roughly has a 2 year shelf life, introducing plant based flavoring surely doesn't extend this.

17. checkum

checkum Super Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Missouri, USA
    The following site may be of interest to you, fivefour, as it explains some possible outcomes of stored ejuice:

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/flavorsworkshop/shelf_life.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  18. Str8vision

Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    Stored at room temperature, oxidation will eventually dull/mute/alter the flavor. When, depends on the tobacco, nic and extraction process that was used. Cold extracted flavor is the most stable. Stored at room temperature, NET usually reached its peak flavor after a year. After two years or so, the flavor slowly begins to degrade. If your NETs are over two years old it might be time to start up some new ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. beachbumcm

beachbumcm Full Member

May 11, 2015
    Starting in late december, I started my first NET extractions. I got some virginia and burley from leafonly (the virginia was labeled "virginia (r)" at leafonly i believe, which may mean "red" virginia? Anyway, I cut up the leaves with scissors (maybe not the best route but its what I had) and put in with PG into mason jars.

Then last week I used the last 8 of my empty mason jars for tobacco I had just gotten: 3 jars with cigars, 5 with various kinds of pipe tobaccos. In these, I used a ~85/15 mix of pg/VG....to see if VG may extract a different flavor profile in addition to the PG...who knows.

I noticed in about 8 of the 12 jars I accidentally put a bit more PG than I suspected as the tobacco was still fluffy. But it's not that bad.

Well, here's he long wait beginning :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. beachbumcm

beachbumcm Full Member

May 11, 2015
    oh, an interesting thing ... I got out a sample of the virgnia (R) that had been sitting for about 3 weeks at the time of getting the sample. I mixed up a small tester at around 20%. Noticed it's got a strong hay/grassy flavor. I hope with more extraction time this will mellow out, or at least have other tobacco flavors catch up with those flavor notes.

It reminded me of one particular NET vendor's juices from a couple years back. I cant remember if it was vaperite or someone else, but thought it was interesting how it was so similar.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.