Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Facebook sucks whatever their views on vaping.
They could be totally pro vaping and they would still suck.
I don't see why anyone does facebook.

It's been useful for me, for public shaming of comcast... remember the tall truck/low wire incident? Couldn't get ANY satisfaction out of comcast on the phone, so I posted it to their FB page. Ended up getting a $50 discount on my bill that month, $10 for the actual days I didn't have service, and $40 for "my trouble." :thumb:

Andria

Reactions: Coldrake

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I agree that not all smokers were polite... but why is it, exactly, that some peoples' rights trump the rights of others? I have a really hard time with that one, in the absence of a medical need.

My aunt didn't smoke, nor my grandmother, but neither of them had anything to say about SHS -- people smoked in my grandmother's house (including my grandfather! though he smoked his pipe indoors and kept his cigars outdoors), and even in my aunt's apt; neither got excited about it.

Just have a really hard time understanding why some people have "rights" and others don't. It's kinda like... discrimination.

Andria

IMO, it wasn't the non-smokers who demanded the change. I think all of us knew non-smokers when we were smokers and could smoke everywhere, and in my recollection, they didn't hate on smoking. They would've probably preferred not to be around as much smoke, but didn't really care that much. I realize there are probably exceptions to what I'm saying, but my main point here is that I think it really was more of the recovering smoke addict and zealous types (like actual nazis) that changed things the other way and carried the torch for anti-smoking, and anti-public use.

When I went cold turkey, I ran into so many people who really thought I was offended by what they were up to. I had stopped drinking at the same time, so it wasn't just smokers, but almost all users thought of me as someone that was likely offended by what they were doing and thought I would be super annoyed to be around it. I wasn't. Perhaps a teeny tiny bit at times, but for the most part, not really at all. And yet, I've seen enough recovering types that think the whole world ought to change now that they are changing, and who have bought into notion that what they were doing was wrong, harmful to them, and likely harmful to all others around them. The mindset of, "if I'm no longer going to smoke in that restaurant, and am committed to not smoking, then so should everyone else."

This is partially why ex-vapers scare me more than any possible thing ANTZ could dream up. Cause ex-vapers will know acutely what all the pros are, but will possibly be of mindset that argues that the harms/bad stuff outweigh all possible perceived benefits and pros, and then act accordingly in their political outlook.

I'm just coming from thread on DA/AP overhyped concern (my position) and yet, that is primary example of how whatever the film is about, it likely ain't touching on that type of thing. I say to the vaping community be prepared for a lot more DA/AP type scares, and yet know that all of us have seen similar things on more than one occasion thus far in the history of vaping culture. I fully expect one of those types of things every year for as long as vaping is around. The THR type crowd needs smoking to position vaping as "better alternative" which undoubtedly will work, but to not see the limits of that is one thing. It's also the crowd that strikes me as completely (as in entirely) hung up on the medical model for vaping rather than recognizing it as mostly as a recreational choice among legal adults. I'm thinking the film, based on title mostly, but also on trailer I've seen, is mostly hung up on this medical model approach.

Non-vapers couldn't care less about that. I think some will see the film, know a smoker, and wish the smoker would make the switch. But that will be the end for them of where they are concerned. Us, who have delved into the politics of it all, are way more immersed in the primary themes and sub-arguments than all other people in the world, other than ANTZ (who have zero clue on pros) and ex-vapers.

Anyway, I could easily go on for another 8 paragraphs in this post, but I won't. I think non-vapers are likely to give ANTZ credence cause they don't know differently, but also think non-vapers are likely mostly understanding vaping right now as a recreational choice that like most recreational items has pros for its users and one of those seems to be lessening how much people are addicted to smoking. If the film is successful in terms of how many people see it, it'll be because lots of non-vapers saw it and liked the message. But if it is only stuck in the medical model approach, then I think it will possibly be confusing. It'll essentially say that part of what ANTZ has been up to has been dead on correct (i.e. smoking kills) and that another part of what ANTZ is now up to (trying to stop vaping from becoming a viable alternative) doesn't make sense to them, other than to throw in the 'big players' (i.e. BP).

I'm still just amazed though that if vaping has saved any lives since its inception, and vapers at any point have been vaping diketones since its inception, then either vaping community is lying to itself about "lives saved" or vaping culture is confused, and very prone to the zealous claims of the fear mongering crowd. And if the latter is the case, and a ex-vaper emerges that wants everyone to be liberated from the evil clutches of vaping, as they are then, stand back vaping community. You are about to get knocked down like the bowling pin you were set up to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessifer

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Facebook sucks whatever their views on vaping.
They could be totally pro vaping and they would still suck.
I don't see why anyone does facebook.

I don't get why you make that type of comment on an internet forum. I'm sure whatever cons you have about Facebook, I'm aware of, but think you'd downplay all pros. Facebook clearly has captured the attention of the public majority and therefore it awesome if you wish to promote something. But is also a very good way to connect with a bunch of people, especially if they share common interests. To write it off as "it sucks" tells me that this could be said about literally anything.

I currently don't understand why people don't do Facebook, but also don't think they suck if they don't.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
IMO, it wasn't the non-smokers who demanded the change. I think all of us knew non-smokers when we were smokers and could smoke everywhere, and in my recollection, they didn't hate on smoking. They would've probably preferred not to be around as much smoke, but didn't really care that much. I realize there are probably exceptions to what I'm saying, but my main point here is that I think it really was more of the recovering smoke addict and zealous types (like actual nazis) that changed things the other way and carried the torch for anti-smoking, and anti-public use.

When I went cold turkey, I ran into so many people who really thought I was offended by what they were up to. I had stopped drinking at the same time, so it wasn't just smokers, but almost all users thought of me as someone that was likely offended by what they were doing and thought I would be super annoyed to be around it. I wasn't. Perhaps a teeny tiny bit at times, but for the most part, not really at all. And yet, I've seen enough recovering types that think the whole world ought to change now that they are changing, and who have bought into notion that what they were doing was wrong, harmful to them, and likely harmful to all others around them. The mindset of, "if I'm no longer going to smoke in that restaurant, and am committed to not smoking, then so should everyone else."

This is partially why ex-vapers scare me more than any possible thing ANTZ could dream up. Cause ex-vapers will know acutely what all the pros are, but will possibly be of mindset that argues that the harms/bad stuff outweigh all possible perceived benefits and pros, and then act accordingly in their political outlook.

I'm just coming from thread on DA/AP overhyped concern (my position) and yet, that is primary example of how whatever the film is about, it likely ain't touching on that type of thing. I say to the vaping community be prepared for a lot more DA/AP type scares, and yet know that all of us have seen similar things on more than one occasion thus far in the history of vaping culture. I fully expect one of those types of things every year for as long as vaping is around. The THR type crowd needs smoking to position vaping as "better alternative" which undoubtedly will work, but to not see the limits of that is one thing. It's also the crowd that strikes me as completely (as in entirely) hung up on the medical model for vaping rather than recognizing it as mostly as a recreational choice among legal adults. I'm thinking the film, based on title mostly, but also on trailer I've seen, is mostly hung up on this medical model approach.

Non-vapers couldn't care less about that. I think some will see the film, know a smoker, and wish the smoker would make the switch. But that will be the end for them of where they are concerned. Us, who have delved into the politics of it all, are way more immersed in the primary themes and sub-arguments than all other people in the world, other than ANTZ (who have zero clue on pros) and ex-vapers.

Anyway, I could easily go on for another 8 paragraphs in this post, but I won't. I think non-vapers are likely to give ANTZ credence cause they don't know differently, but also think non-vapers are likely mostly understanding vaping right now as a recreational choice that like most recreational items has pros for its users and one of those seems to be lessening how much people are addicted to smoking. If the film is successful in terms of how many people see it, it'll be because lots of non-vapers saw it and liked the message. But if it is only stuck in the medical model approach, then I think it will possibly be confusing. It'll essentially say that part of what ANTZ has been up to has been dead on correct (i.e. smoking kills) and that another part of what ANTZ is now up to (trying to stop vaping from becoming a viable alternative) doesn't make sense to them, other than to throw in the 'big players' (i.e. BP).

I'm still just amazed though that if vaping has saved any lives since its inception, and vapers at any point have been vaping diketones since its inception, then either vaping community is lying to itself about "lives saved" or vaping culture is confused, and very prone to the zealous claims of the fear mongering crowd. And if the latter is the case, and a ex-vaper emerges that wants everyone to be liberated from the evil clutches of vaping, as they are then, stand back vaping community. You are about to get knocked down like the bowling pin you were set up to be.

Yeah, I'm an "ex-user" of all kinds of things -- the major reason I quit using drugs was because I was tired of the low-life losers I had to hang around while using them, so I wouldn't want to be around that type of people now that I don't use them. Drinking, pft, I couldn't care less about; it's not going to force itself down my throat -- when my son was living at home as an adult, it didn't bother me one iota that he kept beer in the fridge -- he didn't seem to show any alcoholic tendencies at all, and he bought it himself, so big deal, I really didn't care. If I could have EVER drank the way that he does -- one beer and usually not even finish it -- I'd never have had a problem with it in the first place!

Smoking, hmm... I really don't care for the smell of cigarette smoke anymore, and I wouldn't voluntarily go around smokers if I had the choice, BUT, if I was in someone's home and they were an indoor smoker, I don't think I'd make a big deal about it; I might treat it much as I used to act about indoor cats, before I started taking Zyrtec so I could have a cat of my own, but rather than blaming allergy, blame my asthma, and just kindly leave, without making a big issue of it. When I smell it in parking lots, I mention to my husband how foul I find the smell nowadays, but not so loudly that the smokers would be likely to hear me; I remember being a desperately addicted smoker for many years, and hey, it's outdoors, to which smoking has been banished. But as I'm walking out the door of a store, I generally take a big hit on my vape, to screen myself from the smoke which is right outside; by the time I exhale, I'm past it. And a few times, some of those smokers have stopped and questioned me about it, and at least one of them, I'm pretty sure he headed straight to a vape store, so he was probably as ready to be done with smoking as I was. :)

I've been sick for a while with what seems to be the flu, and I've been trying to take it a little easier on vaping, because of it, and I'm extremely surprised to find that not only is that possible with vaping, it's not even really difficult. Given my addictive nature, this really does come as a huge surprise, but a welcome one; I no longer simply assume that I will vape forever, indefinitely, but that given my asthma, which will never go away, I know now that at some point, I very likely may give up vaping too. I don't know when that will happen, it might be years -- I want to make sure that my cigarette addiction is very firmly in the past, before considering it -- but it gives me hope that eventually I may not need to vape, just to stay smoke-free, and thus my asthma might improve tremendously. But I suspect that even when I choose to stop vaping, I will remain very firmly a vape advocate, simply because it offers hopelessly-addicted smokers (such as I was) a relatively easy means of quitting and staying quit, without all the suffering and psychosis.

The diketone thing... It really does seem to me that some vapers are as much control-freaks as the ANTZ; they want to MAKE SURE that NO ONE EVER vapes any diketones, despite there being no firm evidence that diketones represent a real threat to vapers. For me, with my asthma (and because AFAIK, I've never vaped any ejuice with diketones so I'm not really "missing" anything), I choose to abstain from them, but it doesn't follow AT ALL that everyone must do as I do -- that would be like my insisting that everyone must stop drinking, just because I'm an alcoholic. :facepalm:

So many people nowadays seem to be completely incapable of making their own judgments and decisions, sticking to them, and not insisting that everyone else make the same judgments and decisions. But I've never been either a leader or a follower; I'm perfectly capable of weighing things for myself, reaching a conclusion, and putting it into practice -- and it doesn't bother me one bit if no one else decides the same -- their life is not my problem; mine is. I think it would be called autonomy -- and people seem to have totally lost the ability to exercise it. They all want to be part of some herd or other. I'll be the Fool on the Hill. ;)

Andria

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I've been sick for a while with what seems to be the flu, and I've been trying to take it a little easier on vaping, because of it, and I'm extremely surprised to find that not only is that possible with vaping, it's not even really difficult. Given my addictive nature, this really does come as a huge surprise, but a welcome one; I no longer simply assume that I will vape forever, indefinitely, but that given my asthma, which will never go away, I know now that at some point, I very likely may give up vaping too. I don't know when that will happen, it might be years -- I want to make sure that my cigarette addiction is very firmly in the past, before considering it -- but it gives me hope that eventually I may not need to vape, just to stay smoke-free, and thus my asthma might improve tremendously. But I suspect that even when I choose to stop vaping, I will remain very firmly a vape advocate, simply because it offers hopelessly-addicted smokers (such as I was) a relatively easy means of quitting and staying quit, without all the suffering and psychosis.

The diketone thing... It really does seem to me that some vapers are as much control-freaks as the ANTZ; they want to MAKE SURE that NO ONE EVER vapes any diketones, despite there being no firm evidence that diketones represent a real threat to vapers. For me, with my asthma (and because AFAIK, I've never vaped any ejuice with diketones so I'm not really "missing" anything), I choose to abstain from them, but it doesn't follow AT ALL that everyone must do as I do -- that would be like my insisting that everyone must stop drinking, just because I'm an alcoholic. :facepalm:

So many people nowadays seem to be completely incapable of making their own judgments and decisions, sticking to them, and not insisting that everyone else make the same judgments and decisions. But I've never been either a leader or a follower; I'm perfectly capable of weighing things for myself, reaching a conclusion, and putting it into practice -- and it doesn't bother me one bit if no one else decides the same -- their life is not my problem; mine is. I think it would be called autonomy -- and people seem to have totally lost the ability to exercise it. They all want to be part of some herd or other. I'll be the Fool on the Hill. ;)

Andria

Thanks for your response. Cut the quote short cause the first sentence of what I did quote was all I was going to respond to, but as you spoke to what I was mainly saying, I'd just note that not all recovering types are the way I was saying, but do think that part of ANTZ are recovering types who become zealous in their mission to make it so no one after them (or their recovery) goes down what they then judge as wrong path. I think ex-alcohol drinkers are possibly the worst at this, but smokers are fairly close as they have smell back, and suddenly realize that smoking smells way different when you no longer have any taste for a smoke. I also think because of not wanting to be tempted to smoke, ex-smokers will be vocal about how much it disgusts them, just to be sure they will not be tempted to try it again. It is very rare that I meet an ex-smoker who is okay with both the smell and that people are smoking around them.

I also find your words on the diketone commentary reassuring. To me, at this point, it is just bizarre how it is playing out. Cause arguably every vaper has inhaled (great amount) of diketones, but it is now a situation where avoidance is deemed best and yet there's still zero cases of harm. I see it as almost no different than the anti-freeze scare, and instead many vapers are acting as if we are inhaling anti-freeze and that anyone that doesn't look at it this way is not looking out for the consumer. Also bizarre because it seems very challenging to say vaping is significantly less harmful / saves lives, while also claiming vaping diketones is deadly / very harmful. It's nice (in a facetious way) that we get to have it both ways, and yet wanna reach conclusion within vaping community that the righteous path is to go diketone free. If that were simply personal decision for those who want that, then no issue or argument really. But to be vocal and get into debate with another vaper on this, given the zero cases of harm, just shows up to me as overwhelmingly ignorant in the amount of conjecture one is bringing to the table in that type of debate.

Regarding the flu comment, I too have been feeling that way lately, but been doing the opposite. I really really do think vaping (PG) kills off germs and have been treating my vaping in last few days as way to rid myself of whatever it is, or was, I thought might be going on with me. And thus far, very good. Haven't gotten to point of actual cold symptoms, but felt like I came close twice in that time frame, as if vaping wasn't helping and was possibly making things worse. That I'm now a good 5 days into fighting it off and haven't experienced a cold, and that I've still managed to only have 1 cold in my 4 years of vaping seems like a very very very positive thing about vaping. Not really news to most of us, but if vaping does in fact prevent colds, then I honestly think that is arguably the #1 pro from the medical model approach, and is a bigger deal than the smoking reduction/cessation pro, as this would impact all possible vapers.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I don't get why you make that type of comment on an internet forum. I'm sure whatever cons you have about Facebook, I'm aware of, but think you'd downplay all pros. Facebook clearly has captured the attention of the public majority and therefore it awesome if you wish to promote something. But is also a very good way to connect with a bunch of people, especially if they share common interests. To write it off as "it sucks" tells me that this could be said about literally anything.

I currently don't understand why people don't do Facebook, but also don't think they suck if they don't.
Just because something is popular does not mean it does not suck. Justin Beiber was popular, so were pet rocks....

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Thanks for your response. Cut the quote short cause the first sentence of what I did quote was all I was going to respond to, but as you spoke to what I was mainly saying, I'd just note that not all recovering types are the way I was saying, but do think that part of ANTZ are recovering types who become zealous in their mission to make it so no one after them (or their recovery) goes down what they then judge as wrong path. I think ex-alcohol drinkers are possibly the worst at this, but smokers are fairly close as they have smell back, and suddenly realize that smoking smells way different when you no longer have any taste for a smoke. I also think because of not wanting to be tempted to smoke, ex-smokers will be vocal about how much it disgusts them, just to be sure they will not be tempted to try it again. It is very rare that I meet an ex-smoker who is okay with both the smell and that people are smoking around them.

I also find your words on the diketone commentary reassuring. To me, at this point, it is just bizarre how it is playing out. Cause arguably every vaper has inhaled (great amount) of diketones, but it is now a situation where avoidance is deemed best and yet there's still zero cases of harm. I see it as almost no different than the anti-freeze scare, and instead many vapers are acting as if we are inhaling anti-freeze and that anyone that doesn't look at it this way is not looking out for the consumer. Also bizarre because it seems very challenging to say vaping is significantly less harmful / saves lives, while also claiming vaping diketones is deadly / very harmful. It's nice (in a facetious way) that we get to have it both ways, and yet wanna reach conclusion within vaping community that the righteous path is to go diketone free. If that were simply personal decision for those who want that, then no issue or argument really. But to be vocal and get into debate with another vaper on this, given the zero cases of harm, just shows up to me as overwhelmingly ignorant in the amount of conjecture one is bringing to the table in that type of debate.

One thing I have learned (among others! ;)) is that people cannot be saved from themselves, and will resent the hell out of it if anyone tries. That is the #1 lesson that "public health" needs to learn -- it's fine to educate the public about dangers, and let them make up their own minds as to their choice of poison, but anything further is neither needed nor wanted. A lot of parents need to learn this too -- none of us want our children to suffer in the ways that we may have, but you cannot really "innoculate" them against bad choices. You can educate them -- maybe one reason our son isn't terribly interested in drinking is because he's heard the entire drug-and-alcohol massacree for almost his entire life, and just prefers to not go down that path. He makes his own poor choices though, and he has to live with the consequences, and all I can do is love him and hope he learns to make better choices.

As for smoking, as I said, mostly I find the smell extremely distasteful, but there have been one or two occasions when it actually smelled good -- which scared the hell out of me, so I got away from it. It is not the smoker's problem, my personal struggles with smoking and not-smoking, and it would be very unkind to try and make it their problem.

Regarding the flu comment, I too have been feeling that way lately, but been doing the opposite. I really really do think vaping (PG) kills off germs and have been treating my vaping in last few days as way to rid myself of whatever it is, or was, I thought might be going on with me. And thus far, very good. Haven't gotten to point of actual cold symptoms, but felt like I came close twice in that time frame, as if vaping wasn't helping and was possibly making things worse. That I'm now a good 5 days into fighting it off and haven't experienced a cold, and that I've still managed to only have 1 cold in my 4 years of vaping seems like a very very very positive thing about vaping. Not really news to most of us, but if vaping does in fact prevent colds, then I honestly think that is arguably the #1 pro from the medical model approach, and is a bigger deal than the smoking reduction/cessation pro, as this would impact all possible vapers.

For me, the more I vape, the more asthma medication I require, and my "maintenance" medication has steroids, which tend to suppress the immune system -- a very bad thing for trying to get over any sickness, particularly one as lingering as the flu. I'm no martyr, and I'm not about to go totally without vaping -- I saw what happened when I went 4 days without vaping, after my appendectomy, and I sure don't want any more of that! I'm just trying to only vape when I really want a vape, and not just constantly for the hell of it, which up to now has been pretty much my norm. :D I think it must be the warm moisture of the vape that aggravates my asthma, because summer heat and high humidity do the same thing. This is why I'm happy to know that I really can entertain the thought that one day I may not need to vape just to remain smoke-free. I don't think vaping is "bad for you" at all, but for me, with my particular symptoms, it does tend to aggravate the asthma, and considering that osteoporosis runs (gallops!) in my family, and that steroids can cause or exacerbate osteoporosis, I think the better part of wisdom is for me to be proactive and only remain a vaper for as long as it's really necessary, and no longer. Every choice has its cost, and when the costs get too high, choices must be reconsidered.

Andria

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The world has changed, and in so many ways, not for the better.
I post a link to this quite frequently...
http://www.rampant-antismoking.com/

People really need to understand what we're up against.
They really need to understand that this whole thing has been planned decades ago.

People really need to see that their game plan has worked exactly as they laid it out...
And that we are the ones who are starting to spoil their party.

And they really, really don't like that.

Sir George E. Godber
Chairman, Expert Committee on Smoking and Health
World Health Organization

(Excerpts from Godber’s opening address)

“In 1969, the World Health Organization Regional Committee for Europe and the Americas had passed resolutions calling attention to the dangers of smoking and deciding that smoking would not be allowed during their meetings.”

“None of us can be really satisfied with what we find anywhere. Yet there has been progress sufficient to make one feel that THIS world conference will have an even clearer message for the world and will be able to endorse and amplify the views expressed at the World Health Assembly in Geneva last month.”

“I imagine that most of us here know full well that our target must be, in the long-term, the elimination of cigarette smoking…… We may not have eliminated cigarette smoking completely by the end of this century, but we ought to have reached a position where a relatively few addicts still use cigarettes, but only in private at most in the company of consenting adults.”

“First, I think we must ask ourselves whether our society is one in which the major influences exercised on public opinion are such as would convey the impression that smoking is a dirty, anti-social practice, spoiling the enjoyment of youth and accelerating the onset of the deterioration of age.”

“Need there really be any difficulty about prohibiting smoking in more public places? The nicotine addicts would be petulant for a while, but why should we accord them any right to make the innocent suffer?”

“…..described the way in which education against smoking was to be incorporated into the general programme of health education which is so well presented in the USSR.”

Every smoker is a promoter of other smokers. The practice ought to be an enclosed one, not to be endured by the non-smoker in ordinary social intercourse; and no one should be allowed to use advertisement or any indirect means to suggest otherwise.”

If we start with the view that we can begin to get rid of cigarette smoking from many communal occasions and that we can and should make it more and more difficult for the individual to smoke cigarettes in public, and if we can eliminate the false message of the advertisers, I believe we could have a rapidly cumulative effect…..There are plenty of weapons of persuasion, of restriction, of financial penalty by price and tax increases with which we could seriously hope to reduce the consumption of cigarettes by a substantial portion within 5 years.”

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
If they do go ahead and classify the nicotine we use for vaping as a "tobacco product," I foresee a lawsuit pushing to have ALL NRT classified as "tobacco products." BP would hate that, and that might be the only thing holding all this back. BP is the FDA's paymaster after all.

Andria
If by "they" you mean the US Congress, they already have. "Tobacco product" is defined in the Family Smoking Prevention and Control Act as "any product made or derived from tobacco."

Reactions: nicnik

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I never said the word popular. I said there are pros to Facebook and you managed to come up with, "uhhhh, it sucks man."

That sort of thing is precisely why I'm not a huge FB fan, but as noted, it does have its up-sides -- public shaming of a company from whom you can't get satisfaction otherwise is an excellent example, and exactly how it has played out for me. But the "it sucks man" mentality is exactly the mentality that FB seems to favor.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
If by "they" you mean the US Congress, they already have. "Tobacco product" is defined in the Family Smoking Prevention and Control Act as "any product made or derived from tobacco."

Well that is obviously not definitive, since BP NRT is not currently considered a tobacco product -- and that is my point; there will be lawsuits to that end, I guarantee it.

Andria

Reactions: jpargana

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
That sort of thing is precisely why I'm not a huge FB fan, but as noted, it does have its up-sides -- public shaming of a company from whom you can't get satisfaction otherwise is an excellent example, and exactly how it has played out for me. But the "it sucks man" mentality is exactly the mentality that FB seems to favor.

Andria

To me, that is people you friend who would favor that. Most of my FB friends are family and friends that share common interests or genuinely caring people. Like I love to disc golf, so connecting to a wide array of disc golfers is important for many reasons. If someone asks, "what to you all think of this course?" it is very rare that I see something akin to "that course sucks." Instead, it is helpful info for both person asking and others who may one day want to play that course.

But the public places where anyone in the world can post do tend to have the sound bite rhetoric turned up to maximum. Those though can be very amusing or very aggravating, but depends on how much time you want to give it. Usually top commenters are saying something way more witty than "aww that sucks."

Reactions: AndriaD

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Well that is obviously not definitive, since BP NRT is not currently considered a tobacco product -- and that is my point; there will be lawsuits to that end, I guarantee it.

Andria

Nope, the statute makes an exception. ‘‘(2) The term ‘tobacco product’ does not mean an article that is a drug under subsection (g)(1), a device under subsection (h), or a combination product described in section 503(g). ‘‘(3) The products described in paragraph (2) shall be subject to chapter V of this Act."

The "Act" is the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. Chapter V governs "drugs and devices," e.g., BP NRT products. If you'll recall, the FDA tried to ban e-cigs as unapproved drugs and/or devices and they got shot down.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Nope, the statute makes an exception. ‘‘(2) The term ‘tobacco product’ does not mean an article that is a drug under subsection (g)(1), a device under subsection (h), or a combination product described in section 503(g). ‘‘(3) The products described in paragraph (2) shall be subject to chapter V of this Act."

The "Act" is the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. Chapter V governs "drugs and devices," e.g., BP NRT products. If you'll recall, the FDA tried to ban e-cigs as unapproved drugs and/or devices and they got shot down.
I'm not sure if Andria is aware of that or not...
But I think maybe she is.

In that case, perhaps she is saying that such a definition is crap.
And something to sue over.
:shrug:

I don't think such a lawsuit will fly though.
But there are certainly many other avenues to look into.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I'm not sure if Andria is aware of that or not...
But I think maybe she is.

In that case, perhaps she is saying that such a definition is crap.
And something to sue over.
:shrug:

I don't think such a lawsuit will fly though.
But there are certainly many other avenues to look into.

I do think it's crap, but whether someone had deep enough pockets to make a legal case over it... that is indeed the question. It *ought* to be challenged, all the way to the Supreme Court, if for no other reason than conflict of interest -- congress protecting their ....-buddy BP -- but again... deep pockets indeed. Too bad we can't get Bill Gates on our team, but I think he's on BP's team -- for no reason I can figure out, god knows, he's got ENOUGH money.

But wait... once you get to billionaire status, "enough money" becomes an oxymoron, right? :facepalm:

Andria

Reactions: jpargana

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Just a different wat to get nicotine...

Yes. Just a different way to get the *same* Pharma-grade nicotine (and nicotine alone, which by the way is *optional* in our e-liquids), extracted from the *same* tobacco leaves, that is being used in Pharma NRT's. :facepalm:

Pharma NRT's ALWAYS have nicotine in them. And yet, Pharma did not even have to present products based in alternative nicotine sources to have their products completely free from the negative stigma of tobacco products. The reason is something like "Even if all tobacco suddenly disappeared, nicotine could`*still* be produced. Unlike *real* tobacco products like cigarettes and Snus".

On the other hand, e-cigarettes *must* be considered tobacco products at all costs, just because they MIGHT have the *same* Pharma-grade nicotine.

Go figure that out.

Politicians, legislators and lobbyists (all of them with a horse on the race) really must be grateful for people who proclaim half-truths and double standards. It really must make their hard work so much easier, mustn't it ?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
Yes. Just a different way to get the *same* Pharma-grade nicotine (and nicotine alone, which by the way is *optional* in our e-liquids), extracted from the *same* tobacco leaves, that is being used in Pharma NRT's. :facepalm:

Pharma NRT's ALWAYS have nicotine in them. And yet, Pharma did not even have to present products based in alternative nicotine sources to have their products completely free from the negative stigma of tobacco products. The reason is something like "Even if all tobacco suddenly disappeared, nicotine could`*still* be produced. Unlike *real* tobacco products like cigarettes and Snus".

On the other hand, e-cigarettes *must* be considered tobacco products at all costs, just because they MIGHT have the *same* Pharma-grade nicotine.

Go figure that out.

Politicians, legislators and lobbyists (all of them with a horse on the race) really must be grateful for people who proclaim half-truths and double standards. It really must make their hard work so much easier, mustn't it ?

It is a different class of regulation- as a medical product, rather than as a recreational tobacco product...

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
It is a different class of regulation- as a medical product, rather than as a recreational tobacco product...

Not every "law" or "regulation" is necessarily "right", "the ultimate truth", or even *logical*. Heck, *slavery* was perfectly legal once upon a time!

Putting aside "regulations" (maybe made on purpose to protect no-so-covert interests - the new European TPD is a fine, fine exemple of this), is it really hard to see the lack of logic behind said regulations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread