Factual issue with AHA NRT webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Found something interesting regarding NRT's on American Heart Association's site.
NRT products only provide nicotine. They contain none of the carcinogens or toxic gases found in cigarette smoke.
That is either a flat out lie or they just say what they feel like without doing any research.

Side effects
All forms of nicotine replacement have side effects. Many of them become easier to tolerate over time. In a recent article, the Institute for Safe Medication Practices addresses another hazard that many people may not know about — transdermal medication patches, like those that deliver nicotine, can cause burns if a patient wears them during an MRI procedure. Tell your doctor that you use a medication patch if you're going to undergo an MRI.
Really loved the warning about hazards people may not know about with NRT's. Funny they left out the chance of suicide with Chantix. Sent them a note about what carcinogens are in fact present to see if I can get a response. If you decide to contact them, wouldnt hurt to ask why they left out the chance of death by suicide when taking Chantix. Will be interesting to hear their response to providing such factually inaccurate material on their website.

Gotta love it when the talking heads just repeat what they are told dutifully without any hesitation or a second thought. If they consider the levels so low as to be non existent, they should agree to do the same with Ecigs and stop picking on vapers.

AMA Nicotine Substitutes/NRT web page

Lil' Lou

Aug 8, 2010
Central NY
Good catch Ctry Boy! Also on that same page -
The American Heart Association commends the FDA for approving a variety of medicines to treat tobacco dependence and for determining that cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products are drugs and devices under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
I thought they (FDA) tried to do this in Brown vs Williamson but failed?? I'm confused...

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Interesting distinction. Still no response to my email or a correction on the web page. Just chapped my hide for some reason considering how maligned ecigs have been for the same levels, but NRT's are perfectly safe with no side effects whatsoever. But with ongoing efforts to ban smoking anywhere, wonder how much longer till they finish off the smokers and come after us. Ecigs should soon become very popular in New York. Still waiting for someone to get a ticket under one of these draconian smoking laws for puffing a vapor stick. Heard one of the anti's on TV saying smokers shouldnt even be allowed to drive and smoke with the window cracked. How on earth do you fight this kind of rabid idiocy? I guarantee they will never be able to see the difference between smoking and vaping.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I entered this comment:

There is a factual error on page Nicotine Substitutes / Nicotine Replacement Therapy
The erroneous text reads as follows:
"The American Heart Association commends the FDA for approving a variety of medicines to treat tobacco dependence and for determining that cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products are drugs and devices under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act." The FDA attempted to regulate cigarettes as drugs and devices under FDCA, but in the case of FDA v. Brown & Williamson, decided March 21, 2000, the court found that the FDCA does not grant the FDA this authority. In 2009, congress granted FDA authority to regulate tobacco products as tobacco products (not drugs or devices) under the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.
Suggest you edit the quoted sentence to end with the word "dependence."
Left on this page: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=10000046&title=Web Site General Questions

Lil' Lou

Aug 8, 2010
Central NY
I was pretty sure that didn't sound right - thanks for confirming my suspicion and sending them a comment Vocalek! What irks me the most, is that the average layperson probably wouldn't think twice to question that statement. Students use the AHA and the rest (ACA, ALA, etc...) quite a bit to gather data for school papers. Just makes you wonder how many other supposed 'facts' are skewed. :(

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Well, I'd like to share with you the nice response I received, thanking me for bringing this to their attention and promising that they will correct the error post-haste.

I'd like to share it with you, but my mailbox, sadly, remains empty of any communications from the AHA. Maybe their response was lost by the mail server?

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
I am seriously considering some sort of window sticker or something for my car that promotes e-cigs. Then keep on hand the trifolds and any other printable reports we have to hand out to everyone who asks about e-cigs and where to get them. Would also make sure that they are aware of the tatics that the FDA is trying to pull in regards to e-cigs. I swear, if I could afford it, I would also keep on hand starter kits for people to buy from me for the same cost that I paid for them too, just so they could get started with a good kit, probably the 510's since they are an excellent starter e-cig at a reasonable price.

rodent_tamer

Sep 7, 2010
new jersey
Interesting distinction. Still no response to my email or a correction on the web page. Just chapped my hide for some reason considering how maligned ecigs have been for the same levels, but NRT's are perfectly safe with no side effects whatsoever. But with ongoing efforts to ban smoking anywhere, wonder how much longer till they finish off the smokers and come after us. Ecigs should soon become very popular in New York. Still waiting for someone to get a ticket under one of these draconian smoking laws for puffing a vapor stick. Heard one of the anti's on TV saying smokers shouldnt even be allowed to drive and smoke with the window cracked. How on earth do you fight this kind of rabid idiocy? I guarantee they will never be able to see the difference between smoking and vaping.

i live in nj, but 10 min. from nyc. I just started vaping 10 days ago and told P.Morris to kiss my **s good-bye. One of the biggest reasons i jumped on board with vaping, aside from the health benefits, was the astronomical prices here in this area. Right before i transitioned to pv world, i bought my last pack of analogs in the city for:...get this..FOURTEEN FREAKIN' DOLLARS! Prices just went up and are about to go up in jersey. Between what my boyfriend and i smoked, we were spending about 500-600 bucks a month and now that we're both vaping, i estimate it'll go from 600.00 a month to 40 or 60.00 a month at most. As i spread the gospel of vaping around here, when i tell people about the significant savings, that's what peaks their interest the most.
Last week i returned to the street kiosk where i last purchased a pack of analogs for 14 bucks and with pv in mouth, i asked him if he sold any e-juice...hahaha. He had no idea what i was talking about, so i was glad to school him with a particular emphasis on savings.... I made sure to advise him to get on board with supplying e-juice because if ny smokers find out how much they'll be saving with vaping, he'd go out of business.

I've been vaping in cabs, stores and even at my therapy sessions....just waiting for someone to say something. When i used to smoke analogs outdoors in nyc streets, i was made to feel like i was committing a crime...there was always that exaggerated fake cough from some non-smoker at the cross walk. Now they're gonna tell me i can't exhale vapor? are you kidding me?! Go ahead....just try it....:evil::vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread