Fake Samsung 25Rs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeybear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Southeast Wisconsin
I ordered some Samsung batteries off eBay and, even though I haven't read about them being cloned, think I received clone batteries. I've had them charging for 6+ hours and they haven't taken a charge. Also, the sticker that's on my older batteries is silver with black printing and was at one time a single sticker. The sticker on the new battery is white, the printing is off-center, and looks like it was cut out by hand. I'm wondering if I got taken. I emailed the seller who has reputable feedback but haven't heard back. Has anyone heard of fakes being made?

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
The "stickers" are put on by third parties in all cases, and I suspect are to do with mailing regulations. The Samsung cells from the factory are just a blue plastic wrap with "INR18650-25R, Samsung SDI" and some other letters numbers, possibly a batch code.

Not taking a charge is obviously bad news though. However, new batteries can take a long time to charge to full, depending on the charger. Some chargers don't work well with batteries with very low internal resistance. I would suggest checking the voltage on them manually, if possible.

Last edited:

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
I for one will never try and save a buck on batteries. Too many things can go wrong IF the battery is a "clone / fake". The folks at XTAR have the genuine SAMSUNG 2500mAh INR 18650 25R batteries for $6.99 each. Yes there is a modest shipping charge on top of the price -- but, it is worth the few extra bucks to KNOW you are getting the real deal. "Clones / Fakes" inside an enclosure can be part of a "pipe bomb" at eye level. Why take the chance to save a few pennies??

Senile Old Man Donnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread