Fast wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Thank you slippy :) I'll post them there too. One thing I should mention about "how long avocado lasts", even on a single coil, not very long dude. If it's the only thing you're vaping all day you're gonna fly through juice. The flavor is amazing but it doesn't last as long as it seems. Just a thought for you bud.

As for replacing it with helix, I'm not sure yet. I can totally see why people are getting the goon rda. This coil is seriously wide, and I intentionally tried to keep the core and frames smaller for that very reason. I don't know what it's reading yet cause I didn't mount it.

I did put it to avocado and saw that it just barely would fit if I was to install it. I also realized something last night that I would have to hand wrap only the first staple and the rest could be done on a drill, which would end up looking tighter and cleaner. There is a total of 8-9 strands I believe being stapled on the outside in between the groves of that spiral. It either took me 5 or 6 hours to complete this thing. Stacking it also was a process but I found a shortcut that I might elaborate on later of folks are curious.

I'm good if they last me half hour, its awesome that i can now take a decent build out on my mech while i drive:vapor:

An Avocado or Limitless with a goon deck is what you need:D

I know it's not ideal but if you don't want to hold out till you get one i suppose you could squeeze just the leg part of your coils with pliers to install them into something, i doubt it would make any difference to the performance so long as you don't demolish the wires.

You have to be dedicated to spend 5-6hrs on a build! Your builds are Vclean! i can tell you put the time in to get it right! :2cool:

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
I'm good if they last me half hour, its awesome that i can now take a decent build out on my mech while i drive:vapor:

An Avocado or Limitless with a goon deck is what you need:D

I know it's not ideal but if you don't want to hold out till you get one i suppose you could squeeze just the leg part of your coils with pliers to install them into something, i doubt it would make any difference to the performance so long as you don't demolish the wires.

You have to be dedicated to spend 5-6hrs on a build! Your builds are Vclean! i can tell you put the time in to get it right! :2cool:
Slippy, first of all thank you VERY much dude. I'm very flattered that you think that. I guess I'm a perfectionist (actually yeah I am, facepalm lol) because I think my builds are far from 100%. And yes I'm being picky. Thank you for that comment. It makes me want to do even better/cleaner builds. On the zipper one of the little loops on one of the Claptons has a little more space than the rest, it's visible if you zoom in a lot. Working with 40 gauge claptoning it around 36 is hard because you can't put a lot of pressure on it. You can't stretch it hard with a a drill and can't put a lot of pressure on the wire because it'll snap or break either at the drill, screwdriver or in the middle. So I'll forgive myself for that lol

What does bother me about the most in the zipper is that the very outer legs are not perfect. I know, I'm being picky for a build like that but still, just my opinion. It vapes great, tastes amazing, holds juice all the good stuff, but it bothers me that the outer legs went the way they did. Avocado posts screw from the sides, and if you put flat builds or parallel builds on there things are gonna get scrunched.

The staple build is far from perfect. First and foremost I should have went every 10 grooves not every 8. If I did that the 40 gauge would sit a lot more flush. Second I don't have 44 gauge but that would sit much better than 40 in a 28 spiral. I also should have stretched the corrugated wire to make it all thinner but I didn't think of that at the time. Also, I should have used a drill after the first hand wrap staple. All those things I'll take to this build later on tonight and redo this with 40 cause I don't have 44 yet. I'll also time myself to see how long it exactly takes me from start to finish. I just know I started this one around 7-8pm and finishes at 2:30am so I'm not 100% sure about the exact time.

This build WILL fit in an avocado. The post holes are wide enough but it might be a tight fit. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need to pinch the legs to get them in there. Stretching corrugated core and putting 4 walls instead of 2 should make it roughly the same size but it should fit. 30 gauge spiral would also twist better than the 28 meaning I could get it more perpendicular to the core, me thinks (God I sound like such a geek lololol)

Avocado won't last you half an hour on a single coil if you're doing it back to back nonstop. But that thing has so much flavor that I'm pretty sure you don't need to rip it up back to back like that. It's a great tank but the juice usage is all dependent on the coil, wicking, wattage and so forth. I'm pretty certain you'll be happy with it regardless. It's a beast.

And you're right, I need a goon, I'll see if I can find one somewhere online that's black, haven't researched it yet so I don't know if it's all copper like most attys. If I can find it all black I'm getting it cause it'll match my mod, which still needs work btw to get to perfect but I'll keep you guys posted on it as time develops.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Thanks again for this thread. My wicking on Avocado 24 is so good now I can go through a tank of juice in 2-3 sessions. I don't even tilt the tank sideways nor upside down. :D

I love this RDTA.
Isn't it only RTA since we're not dripping it? :p

And you're welcome dude, if you have any questions let us know. Also, I only tilt mine when I feel it needs saturation, other than that there is no need for it :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday visiting a local B&M but the clone was just a bit too $weet for my taste. Rather have the authentic. Still in the order cue.

Picked up some interesting cotton which I see seems to be rather popular. On first impression and talking about wicking and its flow potential, seems interesting...

Amazon.com : ORGANIC Cotton Makeup Puff, Medium : Cotton Balls : Beauty

Anyone have any experience with this?

Good luck. :)

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Almost pulled the trigger on one yesterday visiting a local B&M but the clone was just a bit too $weet for my taste. Rather have the authentic. Still in the order cue.

Picked up some interesting cotton which I see seems to be rather popular. On first impression and talking about wicking and its flow potential, seems interesting...

Amazon.com : ORGANIC Cotton Makeup Puff, Medium : Cotton Balls : Beauty

Anyone have any experience with this?

No never used it Mac, im still bogged down with rayon and muji cotton, i love the muji ;)

Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
No never used it Mac, im still bogged down with rayon and muji cotton, i love the muji ;)

Well it has the fiber density of muji slip. But somewhat more of an organic mustier cotton impression. Maybe less so fresh. The vendor was parceling it out from commercial retail packaging by the pad. I did immediately notice a distinct edge in vapor density at the shop. Tore out the fresh KGD build to try this on the spot after comparing the fiber distribution. The combed cotton matting was roughly equiv to KGD with seed residue. Color like unbleached cotton yarn, unbleached. Internal fibers somewhat lighter. Definitely more production using the same cross section of wick as KGD. So perhaps more flow and density or better diffusion with a little less packing. Did add its own signature of flavor to the juices I was vaping however. How much of that attributable to the staleness? Dunno.

Only thing that troubles me as with all China consumables is the likelihood of material contamination or impurities. Don't think it's unreasonable to suspect Japan's exports since Fukushima. And I don't bet on China being any more up front. Why I'm skeptical about foreign produce. Same thing. Rayon I'm still leery of its possible trace residuals as well since fiber sourcing (and so its processing) vary far more I believe than folks are aware. So I lean more towards Nextel mostly for its heat treated purity (or that I can assure it in seconds with a torch). That's my thinking anyway.

Don't get me wrong. Still think the 3M fiber beats any organic hands down in the long term. But I'll use or at least test anything that I can get my hands on. Differences in juices make a single wick media solution impractical and that includes Nextel. Some liquids just taste better in alternative media just like they may sparkle with one particular build or atomizer.

So still, worth looking into as these pads are quite commonly available and relatively inexpensive.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Mac i always wondered why my muji cotton would glow :D
I'm going to have to take the gamble now that i'm already halfway through both packs that i have, i will defo give that cotton you suggested a crack though when i get a bit lower on stock :thumb:

I was using rayon in my ijoy limitless for a day with a hot build and it performs much better with the wick tails constantly feeding rather than how you would drip to it in an rda, i was finding that on hot builds in an rda that the rayon was wicking to fast for its own good and that i needed to keep the juice topped up, it works fine in my Aromamizer with 2mm id coils.

bedtime! :sleep:

Reactions: kross8

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Mac i always wondered why my muji cotton would glow :D
I'm going to have to take the gamble now that i'm already halfway through both packs that i have, i will defo give that cotton you suggested a crack though when i get a bit lower on stock :thumb:

I was using rayon in my ijoy limitless for a day with a hot build and it performs much better with the wick tails constantly feeding rather than how you would drip to it in an rda, i was finding that on hot builds in an rda that the rayon was wicking to fast for its own good and that i needed to keep the juice topped up, it works fine in my Aromamizer with 2mm id coils.

bedtime! :sleep:

Yep agree. It permeates and evaporates impressively fast but it lacks the flow of other media. Compress it far more than would seem reasonable and it actually works. Squeezing the fibers together improves capillary action, to a point. As with all media, high compression can also back up the wick's flow reducing production. Net effect, a drier more diffuse vape which can for some juices mean losing some of the accent notes that make it special. If you enjoy the principle character of the flavor you're in heaven. If you're a delicate taster, you lose.

As some in the past may have assumed I'm against rayon due to some of my observations, I'll say once more that I'm not. Actually. think synthetics are probably safer in the context of residuals in the media than organics.

Thanks for your feedback. I tried muji way back when KGD was first introduced. Got several samples. I found this loba cotton to be denser than KGD and having a slightly more intense cotton flavor. Like you, I'm tempted to revisit it as some juices may actually be more compatible with it.

Thx slip. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Yep agree. It permeates and evaporates impressively fast but it lacks the flow of other media. Compress it far more than would seem reasonable and it actually works. Squeezing the fibers together improves capillary action, toa point. As with all media high compression can also back up the wick's flow reducing production. Net effect a, a drier more diffuse vape which can for some juices mean losing some of the accent notes that make it special. If you enjoy the principle character of the flavor you're in heaven. If you're a delicate taster, you lose.

As some in the past may have assumed I'm against rayon due to some of my observations, I'll say once more that I'm not. Actually think synthetics are probably safer in the context of residuals in the media than organics.

Thanks for your feedback. I tried muji way back when KGD was first introduced. Got several samples. I found much like this loba cotton to be denser than KGD and a slightly more intense cotton flavor. Like you, I'm tempted to revisit it as some juices may actually be more compatible with it.

Thx slip. Good luck. :)
i have been reading your posts for a few days,, love your writings. fwiw,, once i replaced all cotton wicks with Rayon all events of vapors tongue stopped. i think i was having too much cotton/over used cotton creating the VT........i 'dunno' but i really like Rayon. i have wicked it very similar to the deck like you detailed and it was very nice on my Corolla,,i also made the tails super long and super thin,,,,,that turned my atty into a ejuice drunk lol.. (she drank a lot,, but also gave me the best flavor ever).

anyway,, just popping in.. love the board!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
i have been reading your posts for a few days,, love your writings. fwiw,, once i replaced all cotton wicks with Rayon all events of vapors tongue stopped. i think i was having too much cotton/over used cotton creating the VT........i 'dunno' but i really like Rayon. i have wicked it very similar to the deck like you detailed and it was very nice on my Corolla,,i also made the tails super long and super thin,,,,,that turned my atty into a ejuice drunk lol.. (she drank a lot,, but also gave me the best flavor ever).

anyway,, just popping in.. love the board!

Thx and congrats k. Happy for ya. Don't lose sight of my point that varieties of media can deliver a different result of flavourings and juice recipes. It's good to try an alternative especially if there appears to be something missing. Why I teach baseline single-wire strain wound rebuilding. You've got to have that good uniformly performing pan or pot you can count on to give you a reliable result.

It's a bit easier for me I must admit. I'm flavor sensitive and I usually have a couple'a three mods running the same juice with different winds and wicking. For the avg vaper it's just a good idea to change things up from time to time to reveal subtle and sometimes impressive advantages. Even with or maybe especially our favorite juices.

No sense missing out, right?

Good luck.

:)

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
I know you guys are talking about wicks, but you're gonna flip a gasket when you hear this......

So my black goon came in, after wasting 10 plus hours making a single super coil (I say wasting cause 2 of the outer wires snapped and everything went to s.....t), and after several more coils I decided I'm on a quest of obtaining a near perfect super coil before I even wick up the goony. Finally, few days later, I was able to come up with this.....

5tz42x.png

Quad ribbon core, framed with spiraled triple twisted, stapled every 4 grooves.

Purdy <3

I'm like alright, let's go. Wick it up, seems to be drinking juice like someone that didn't graduate from AAA lol, I'm thinking it should be better than the current zipper in avo that I refused to take out. Vape it, yummy yummy yummy, I hit my avocado with same juice, and guess what - this super coil may be good, but it has nothing on the zipper coil in that tank. I was pretty shocked. Looks like looks aren't always everything lol

I got more 44 gauge coming, this time from kidney puncher, I'll attempt other builds, and see if I can get close to avy lol

Yeah, shocking lol

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Anyone try Kendo cotton yet? Transports juice just as fast as Rayon, maybe even faster. The burning point appears to be higher than other organic cotton types maybe higher than rayon. I'll be testing for browning point temp on my dna200's this week sometime.
All I know at this point is that I can vape it until the wicks turn white before any signs of burny taste occur and when I re-juice my rda it re-saturates the coil in less than 4 seconds.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Anyone try Kendo cotton yet? Transports juice just as fast as Rayon, maybe even faster. The burning point appears to be higher than other organic cotton types maybe higher than rayon. I'll be testing for browning point temp on my dna200's this week sometime.
All I know at this point is that I can vape it until the wicks turn white before any signs of burny taste occur and when I re-juice my rda it re-saturates the coil in less than 4 seconds.

I use Muji ... cotton pads and have witnessed the same thing where ive vaped it dry but had no burning, though i thought it was just that i was a good wicker :laugh:

I also believe that rayon wicks to fast for its own good, on hot builds my pull time is reduced when compared to cotton, on a dripper where the wick has dried the rayon will let me know by giving me a nasty taste but with cotton i just get less flavour.

I'm not knocking Rayon as i think its excellent in certain builds, just not the very hot ones. :)

Reactions: cigatron

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Hmmmm, hot builds and rayon? Works for me with this 20awg Ti, 3mm ID, 9 wraps slightly spaced, .06 ohm build.
IMG_20160807_090128_868-1.jpg

I run this build TC'd on my Limitless Plus at 145w initial firing power. Once temp control is reached she just hums along at 100-105w for as long a pull as I care to take. Maybe this isn't quite as hot a build as you are referring to?

Not trying to defend rayon here, ok maybe a little but I'm having fun with Kendo cotton too.

I like Mac's analogy of cotton having a musty taste. I get that from all cotton plant products but not at all with Rayon. Rayon has it's own distinct organic footprint which it imparts into the vapor stream as well, it's just much less noticeable to me.

Reactions: kross8

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Hmmmm, hot builds and rayon? Works for me with this 20awg Ti, 3mm ID, 9 wraps slightly spaced, .06 ohm build.
View attachment 586885
I run this build TC'd on my Limitless Plus at 145w initial firing power. Once temp control is reached she just hums along at 100-105w for as long a pull as I care to take. Maybe this isn't quite as hot a build as you are referring to?

Not trying to defend rayon here, ok maybe a little but I'm having fun with Kendo cotton too.

I like Mac's analogy of cotton having a musty taste. I get that from all cotton plant products but not at all with Rayon. Rayon has it's own distinct organic footprint which it imparts into the vapor stream as well, it's just much less noticeable to me.
cotton reminds me of an old wet rug at the back door full of water & mud,,,,,sure it hold water,, but it isn't moving that water. rayon just likes to flow ejuice like an external pipe.

Reactions: cigatron

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
View attachment 586885

Hey cig, nice to see ya. And thanks for the hat tip. Great build. Seems like you've found your sweet spot. Me too with Nextel as I can dial up a wind response for it in my sleep these days. And nothing beats a few thousand 10 micron pipes for consistent performance when you can. The one media that doesn't add a thing to the recipe. At least to me for me with my sensitivities. Impressive you have the rayon density right for rayon and power. Still workin' on it. It's unpredictable for me. So thanks for the above example.

cotton reminds me of an old wet rug at the back door full of water & mud,,,,,sure it hold water,, but it isn't moving that water. rayon just likes to flow ejuice like an external pipe.

LOL. And it tastes like one too! After a couple'a days with a dirty tab (which I crave). But so does rayon as cig noted, it still has a distinctive taste. Run KGD tho, in some of my best devices for that one or two good days where nothing seems to match it for some of my most beloved recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread