FC2000 Ceramic Wick with TI wire Temp Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Good day all, I am experimenting with a new setup... I recently purchased some FC-2000 porous ceramic wick for my Genesis atomizer and TI wire. Has anyone ever tried this? I would like to talk about setups and things I should try. I am having a hard time getting this to produce good consistent clouds and in my head this should work amazingly.

Currently I have a Steamboy v2.1 with .4MM Pure TI wire on a Joytech Evic VT. Let me know your thoughts. Any input is appreciated.

I have a .23ohm coil set at 450 degrees F and 30w. I have only had it setup for 15hrs which may be my problem. I did not cheese cloth wrap the wick. It seems to be wicking fine but the TI wire doesnt seem to get hot enough. There is not much better results if I turn the temp up, and after a few pulls above 500F it gets a little icky tasting.

Thanks!

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
I got mine from 5 Pack of FC2000 Ceramic Wick they had the best price I could find. Quick shipping from Cali as well. I dont want to go back to kanthal.... TI is so smooth but I am not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze... pun "maybe" intended.

Not sure if that link will work but VapeSupply is the name of the company.

Last edited:

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Someone from here is sending me some but they are white in color I think. I am very impatiently waiting for them to arrive but not sure where to start. He did say they are brittle and a ..... to work with. Also something about having to hot wrap them with a torch in order for them to wick. Not sure what the heat would do when wrapping the coil on it other than soften the wire so not to break it. I have some 28g SS wire here that is very soft I think that may be the best bet or maybe even ni200.

Reactions: yourgurnard

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
See this thread and video for most of the info you're looking for. It's pretty lengthy but there's a few ways to wrap the coil. If you do opt to use NI w/ temp control please let me know how it goes. If you do go that route I would not worry about the hot wrapping method, it would probably ruin the NI wire. The hot wrap method is called the "Elias Hot Wrap" i was not able to get it to work with the torch I have and instead went with the video I posted below. The wicks are not as brittle as you're thinking and i find them easier to work with than mesh. It just seems very important the wires are tight against the wick.

fc-2000 porous ceramic wick

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Yay! That Vapesupply link that You posted works now...no luck this side of the pond tho'!
The white ones mentioned above:- they sound like they're similar to the ones that I got with My In'Ax; 'cept these are hollow, in order to slip over the drippers' pos. post. They work really well! These wicks just hoover juice up from the bottom instantly...such a shame they don't fit the Next-Gen as they'd be perfect!!
Also, they're so regular in shape that I was able to just push them thru' a 2.5mm coil rather than have to wrap onto the wick.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
I found a video comparing 4 different types of ceramic wicks, I dont remember the names he gave for the four types but one of the white ones took 1st place and second was the FC-2000. I'll post the Vid when I find it. from my two weeks of playing I will never go back to mesh... the flavor is unlike anything else I have tried. It works well with light fruity juices just as well as with complex dessert juices. I always found mesh to fall short on light fruity juices and they would taste muted. Maybe just me. I will be wrapping a new coil tonight, I have some ideas to try. Pretty excited :evil:

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Wow you're right about getting these in the UK, I had some extra time to research today and I'm looking for you. I may need to look into sending you some on my own haha. you may find some luck here if you trust the source.

Portable Accessory Of E-cigarette Porous Ceramic Wick - Buy Ceramic Wick,Electronic Cigarette Accessory,Self Watering Wick Product on Alibaba.com

3mm Alumina Ceramic Porous Wick - Buy 3mm Alumina Ceramic Porous Wick,Alumina Ceramic Porous Wick,Alumina Ceramic Porous Wick Product on Alibaba.com

Reactions: yourgurnard

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
See this thread and video for most of the info you're looking for. It's pretty lengthy but there's a few ways to wrap the coil. If you do opt to use NI w/ temp control please let me know how it goes. If you do go that route I would not worry about the hot wrapping method, it would probably ruin the NI wire. The hot wrap method is called the "Elias Hot Wrap" i was not able to get it to work with the torch I have and instead went with the video I posted below. The wicks are not as brittle as you're thinking and i find them easier to work with than mesh. It just seems very important the wires are tight against the wick.

fc-2000 porous ceramic wick

Hey thanks that helped out allot.

Reactions: Collperson

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Someone from here is sending me some but they are white in color I think. I am very impatiently waiting for them to arrive but not sure where to start. He did say they are brittle and a ..... to work with. Also something about having to hot wrap them with a torch in order for them to wick. Not sure what the heat would do when wrapping the coil on it other than soften the wire so not to break it. I have some 28g SS wire here that is very soft I think that may be the best bet or maybe even ni200.
I used to use nothing but the fc2000 wicks a few years ago and absolutely loved them, I even had a thread here about them. In the end I did hot wrap them with kanthal because with it, there was no break in period. Never liked using cheese cloth because once gunked, you had to re coil. The hot wrap did take some time to master but at least for me was well worth it. If you didn't hot wrap, it took some time for the wick to break in, this break in period was the time it took for stuff to gather in the gaps between wire and wick. Once that happened, it was pure flavor and for some reason, once it was broken in, it remained even after dry burning. I had a video on utube on this hot wrap, it's probably still up, but not sure.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Good day all, I am experimenting with a new setup... I recently purchased some FC-2000 porous ceramic wick for my Genesis atomizer and TI wire. Has anyone ever tried this? I would like to talk about setups and things I should try. I am having a hard time getting this to produce good consistent clouds and in my head this should work amazingly.

With a genny your temp control is your build. In my own experience that's best done with kanthal and mesh. That has never failed me. Attempts at re-inventing the wheel are not worth the effort, the complication, or the frustration.

Collperson

Jan 20, 2016
Hey, thanks for the interest vets! I have followed a lot of Vaslovik and Vapdivrr's advise on several of my builds.

I have neglected this topic for too long now, time for an update.

I agree with both of you that temp control is possible with kanthal+fc2000+hotwrap or simple kanthal+mesh if you pulse or have good enough juice flow. I have never had any problems with either, I am now married to the fc2000 for the flavor- the mesh was always the simplest build and most consistent results. I am purely looking to see if anyone has tried using Titanium wire w/ ceramic wicks before because I can tell you with experience although kanthal and mesh works great- Titanium and mesh with a good temp control chip is better.

I have tried a few set-ups with TI and ceramic and I got it now. I am still tweaking the build to get more vapor production but with last nights build I think I have it, i am just waiting on the wick to break in. I was correct I needed to use the cheesecloth as a spacer, unfortunately I am unable to use the hot-wrap method because it will ruin the TC TI wire I am using. I also needed smaller TI wire, I was using the equivalent of 26ga, now I am using the equivalent to 30ga. With using smaller wire I was able to bring the resistance up to .5 ohms with 6/7 wraps increasing the surface area of heat, it heats the wire slower, and also saving some battery juice. The cool thing with TC is the cheese cloth never burns or gunk's up, the downside I am guessing will still be the ability to clean the coils. That will be the final test. The vapor production is satisfying, but not as much as I am hoping for yet. It is literally the smoothest vape and most pure flavor I have ever experienced.

If the vapor production does not improve as the wick breaks in, and it proves to be a pain in the .... to clean- the juice will not be worth the squeeze and I will revert back to TC with mesh and hot-wraps with kanthal for ceramic... no new wheel needed. I am starting to think the ceramic wick's heat dissipation is causing issues for the TC chip to calibrate the resistance change properly.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Hey, thanks for the interest vets! I have followed a lot of Vaslovik and Vapdivrr's advise on several of my builds.

I have neglected this topic for too long now, time for an update.

I agree with both of you that temp control is possible with kanthal+fc2000+hotwrap or simple kanthal+mesh if you pulse or have good enough juice flow. I have never had any problems with either, I am now married to the fc2000 for the flavor- the mesh was always the simplest build and most consistent results. I am purely looking to see if anyone has tried using Titanium wire w/ ceramic wicks before because I can tell you with experience although kanthal and mesh works great- Titanium and mesh with a good temp control chip is better.

I have tried a few set-ups with TI and ceramic and I got it now. I am still tweaking the build to get more vapor production but with last nights build I think I have it, i am just waiting on the wick to break in. I was correct I needed to use the cheesecloth as a spacer, unfortunately I am unable to use the hot-wrap method because it will ruin the TC TI wire I am using. I also needed smaller TI wire, I was using the equivalent of 26ga, now I am using the equivalent to 30ga. With using smaller wire I was able to bring the resistance up to .5 ohms with 6/7 wraps increasing the surface area of heat, it heats the wire slower, and also saving some battery juice. The cool thing with TC is the cheese cloth never burns or gunk's up, the downside I am guessing will still be the ability to clean the coils. That will be the final test. The vapor production is satisfying, but not as much as I am hoping for yet. It is literally the smoothest vape and most pure flavor I have ever experienced.

If the vapor production does not improve as the wick breaks in, and it proves to be a pain in the .... to clean- the juice will not be worth the squeeze and I will revert back to TC with mesh and hot-wraps with kanthal for ceramic... no new wheel needed. I am starting to think the ceramic wick's heat dissipation is causing issues for the TC chip to calibrate the resistance change properly.
Yes, I have never used Ti wire with either mesh or ceramic and never temp control either , so not sure how it will ultimately wind up. One thing is how you said the cheese cloth doesn't gunk and that's neat because I always thought it was a dumb idea for that very reason. I don't use temp control , but would you switch it off when dry burning? And like you said, what about the cheese cloth when dry burning? I think you will get more vapor once your wick has broken in, at least that's what I remember when the coil didn't come out as tight as I would of liked. As soon as those gaps got closed up with stuff, the vapor started coming. With kanthal I used to get it pretty tight but not as tight as a hot wrap, but with a more pliable wire like SS perhaps, I think that would of helped a lot, but not sure about dry burning SS? If you have to rewick after every dry burn because of the CC, that wouldn't be worth it for sure. Have you tried the rolling paper way?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There's a thread dedicated to this type of wick, you will find all the information you need on that thread...
There are threads for every question asked here. If your gonna say something like that, at least give the guy a link, otherwise it sounds like we shouldn't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread