Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I watched the Tom Daschle confirmation hearing today, and FDA tobacco regulation was mentioned as a probable.

We'd better kick all forms of tobacco and the e-cigs then. They will do their best to kill it.

We can hope that the reason it died in the Senate last year had more to do than being an election year.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Just watched the rerun. Daschle didn't come right out and say he wanted the FDA to regulate it, but he did say it was one option. One senator was concerned with tobacco receiving the "FDA seal of approval". It sounds like this subject will come up again in this Congress from the way they were talking.

Oh I'm sure it will come up, it always comes up. The FDA is dying to get their hands on tobacco and since congress has told them no (but that was a Republican congress) and then the Supreme Court told them no way they only have the option of trying to get congress to change the law.

But tobacco brings in a lot of taxes and no matter how much they talk like they want people to quit they want the taxes more. From what I've seen of the FDA plans it wouldn't be worth smoking.
So who do you think will win, the FDA taking nicotine out of tobacco and making it extremely hard to get or the government collecting taxes at a time when they're expected to be trillions in the hole?
Also do they really want to make people mad at a time of bad economy?

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I hope Obama doesn't manage to give up smoking......the reformed smokers often end up the worst anti-smokers of all because most of them get the, "if I can do it ..u can do it too" attitude.

or... they are dying for a cigarette and since they can't have one, no one shall have one.

:evil:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Obama is a cigarette smoker (he's up to enough now that it's official in anyone's eyes), he pledge not to raise taxes on anyone making less than $250,000, yet he just signed a 2000%+ tax increase on roll your own cigarette tobacco which is predominately used by the poor in the US.
I wouldn't count on getting him personally attached to the subject doing anything.
It would be like JFK banning Cuban cigars, he still got all he wanted.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
But the fact is is that taxing our vices is not a bad thing. It allows the US to generate funds and in this economy, it is needed. What IS a bad thing is that vices are not taxed FAIRLY and evenly.

Smokers have been attacked for a long time because it has been allowed. I say it is time for us to go after one of the biggest problems facing the US and that is obesity. They say that children being trapped in homes with their smoking parents is child abuse? Well feeding your children foods that are high in fat and contain little or no health benefits is child abuse as well and nothing is being done about that. Overweight parents turning their children into overweight people is a child abuse that has been going on for far too long.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Jeremiah, read around the forum to see that two companies (Crown7 and TheSafeCig) have already done that -- to much criticism from e-smokers. It's a TERRIBLE idea and sure to draw attention from the federal government. Read your smoking history to understand why we do NOT want the FDA or other government agencies examining e-smoking. Obama will not be any smoker's friend.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
But the fact is is that taxing our vices is not a bad thing. It allows the US to generate funds and in this economy, it is needed. What IS a bad thing is that vices are not taxed FAIRLY and evenly.

Smokers have been attacked for a long time because it has been allowed. I say it is time for us to go after one of the biggest problems facing the US and that is obesity. They say that children being trapped in homes with their smoking parents is child abuse? Well feeding your children foods that are high in fat and contain little or no health benefits is child abuse as well and nothing is being done about that. Overweight parents turning their children into overweight people is a child abuse that has been going on for far too long.

Hitting the poorest segment of your targeted group with a 2000%+ tax increase is not a good thing.

The US was founded on a revolution over a vice tax that was lifted before any revolution started.
We do not need more taxes, we need less government spending. Less government intervention into our lives would achieve that.

Chris From Cali

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Thank god Myk, what the hell ever happened to balls! **** em that's what I say. When the hell are we going lift our middle fingers to the government? Vice tax? FU! Bullsh** tax is what it should be called. What's next tax on chocolate because it can make you fat? Have you looked at the UK good god they get taxed on just about everything, I'm suprised they don't tax them for walking. (I'm sure it's a matter of time)

Are they going to start taxing food that kids eat that will cause them to be obese? Man this piss's me off. They can all kiss my fat ...

Sorry above the Passion by the way. But rather than sit here scared of the big bad FDA why not put our minds togeather and figure something out - "oh does anyone know who bla bla bla" who cares, go out and start making calls, someone list some emails here, not a link but list them here, let's get something done already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread