Status
Not open for further replies.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I was surfing the web as I do daily, looking for interesting articles to post here on ECF. I found this pretty interesting "infographic" an e-cig company is displaying on their site. It shows the various health dangers from smoking vs the benefits of e-cigs. I wanted to post. I decided to check this companies site out first. Come to find these statements....."All of our e-liquids are CE, ROHS, SGS certified and FDA approved." Who can tell me what CE, ROHS, SGS certified mean? Additionally FDA APPROVED??? I would think the FDA would disagree.
In small print on their site...."FDA Approved Nicotine Refill Cartridges and E Liquid: (nicotine variable per customer request)Vanillin, 2, 3.5 trimethlprazine, DL-menthol, 2,3,5,6-tetramethylpyrazine; 2-acetyl pyrazine, 2-acetyl pyridine; Purified water, Vanilla extract, terpineol, betadamascone, 5-methybutyrate, 2-methylbutyrate, 5-methylfurural, Glycerol, Propylene Glycol"
The company appears to be in California. They also claim to have USA MADE e-liquid. I have seen these claims from China websites, but never here in the U.S. I called the company today to clarify, but no answer. I did not want to post the name of the company(wasn't sure of the rules). AM I missing something here???:confused:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
You can post the name of the company; if it's a banned company, the name will be blocked.

As to the FDA claim, I believe they are using that loosely (IMHO, but IANAL). As in, the PG, VG, Nic & flavorings are GRAS by the FDA, therefore, the product is FDA-approved (which is false, but, loosely).

The rest I'm familiar with due to my years as an exporter:

CE - has to do w/approval in the European Union
a mandatory conformity marking for products placed on the market in the European Economic Area (EEA)

ROHS - the newest consumer product approval in the European Union, and really only has to do w/electrical & electronic items
The Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment 2002/95/EC (commonly referred to as the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive or RoHS) was adopted in February 2003 by the European Union.[1] The RoHS directive took effect on 1 July 2006, and is required to be enforced and become law in each member state. This directive restricts the use of six hazardous materials in the manufacture of various types of electronic and electrical equipment.

SGS - an international inspection service
SGS S.A. (formerly Société Générale de Surveillance) is a multinational company headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland which provides inspection, verification, testing and certification services. It has around 75,000 employees and operates over 1,350 offices and laboratories worldwide.
The core services offered by SGS include the inspection and verification of the quantity, weight and quality of traded goods, the testing of product quality and performance against various health, safety and regulatory standards, and to make sure that products, systems or services meet the requirements of standards set by governments, standardization bodies or by SGS customers.[2]

Hope this helps! :)

(Google & Wikipedia are your friends. :laugh: )

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
You can post the name of the company; if it's a banned company, the name will be blocked.

As to the FDA claim, I believe they are using that loosely (IMHO, but IANAL). As in, the PG, VG, Nic & flavorings are GRAS by the FDA, therefore, the product is FDA-approved (which is false, but, loosely).

The rest I'm familiar with due to my years as an exporter:

CE - has to do w/approval in the European Union

ROHS - the newest consumer product approval in the European Union, and really only has to do w/electrical & electronic items

SGS - an international inspection service

Hope this helps! :)

(Google & Wikipedia are your friends. :laugh: )
Thanks for clarifying!! And I agree They are using "FDA Approved" Very loosely!! Misleading to newbs looking to try e-cigs!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
There have been several signs slipped in recent weeks, like this one here, that seem to indicate the FDA's already decided what they're going to do, that several retailers or their representatives already know about it and are planning for such changes to be implemented.

Really .. ?? Links .. ??

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If their e-liquids are "USA made!" why do they show bottles proudly bearing Dekang labels in their picture?

And if their e-liquids are indeed Dekang, their pricing is enough to make a mall kiosk vendor blush.

Seems like a vendor to stay away from, but that's just my opinion based on the evidence they show.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
There have been several signs slipped in recent weeks, like this one here, that seem to indicate the FDA's already decided what they're going to do, that several retailers or their representatives already know about it and are planning for such changes to be implemented.

Of course. Savvy vendors are paying close attention and my sense is that they're calm, if not sanguine, and already anticipating likely possibilities. I'm seeing more and more on those websites re specific ingredients and in-house testing and purity, and "FDA approval". We'd like to think this is consumer-driven, and it partly is, but hey.
There's always the possibility that the FDA will be unable to make regulatory demands that would put small companies out of business, although they'll be some pressure for them to do so. My guess (and who knows?) is that the model for the acceptable ecig will be Blu et alia, which means flavors will be allowed, and they'll be taxed and regulated like cigarettes. Unless the FDA requires prohibitively expensive testing the small manufacturers might survive this. Shipping prohibitions could sink 'em too. Dunno how much Blu relies on that.

Dunno about the vendor cited above, sounds wacky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread