FDA FDA deeming regulation proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky4it

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Minnesota
Its a good thing the FDA isn't in charge of people's appendix. Ie( Don't know what it's good for or if it causes any harm to humans, so the FDA orders it ripped out of every human being.)

Lopsided analogy? It really isn't. The WORST the FDA can say about ECigarettes, is that "they just don't know." (There are scads of chemicals, toxins that fall into the same category, the FDA doesn't know if certain things cause harm,neither does anyone else. Neither has the FDA in the past been predatory towards the unknown.) Rather, they do the obvious, nothing until they do know. By worst, I mean it in a good sense. The truth is they do know, that Ecigarettes, based upon testimony, and some empirical things, and just good old common sense, is far better health wise then stinky smoking. ( I could provide my own little story, how ecigs helped, how ecigs allowed me better exercising- etc.. all, but I wont la la la.)

The FDA must be beholden to some charter, whereby certain obvious protocol must be followed. Their authority cannot be so broad in scope that they can just scoop at what they don't like and regulate it. Sure its a long shot, but does anyone know?

Lastly, the FDA going after something that at best case "they just don't know" if it causes harm, provides a reasonable amount of suspicion, all of which seems plausible, as too whose agenda this really belongs too. (The truth is, we probably never will find out, not in a provable practical way, although the road signs are starring and singing at us.) Bless the FDA as an independent agency all you want , but it does seem to "stinky" -pun intended, of foul play, and interference from those who benefit. And there is no allegation herein either, at least not yet, just things us Eicgers should be able to count on (For everyone's information Any act under the RICO ACT which consists of theft, embezzlement, fraud, dealing in obscene matter, or obstruction of justice is a crime.) And I do stress the words "ANY ACT." The specific crime is Racketeering. The non blessing is 20 years in jail per offense.

The Law always has pointed in both ways, the stick some day will be big enough so "top hats" can't slide by either. Let that day be NOW.

Last edited:

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Does anyone know if FDA has done their report? It's supposed to be posted on their website, but I can't find it. GAO report is still not due yet, but I have found two reports regarding FDA and Tobacco Products on their website.

Sec. 106. STUDIES OF PROGRESS AND EFFECTIVENESS.

(a)FDA Report.--Not later than 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, and not less than every 2 years thereafter, the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall submit to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives, a report concerning--

(1) the progress of the Food and Drug Administration in implementing this division, including major accomplishments, objective measurements of progress, and the identification of any areas that have not been fully implemented;

(2) impediments identified by the Food and Drug Administration to progress in implementing this division and to meeting statutory timeframes;

(3) data on the number of new product applications received under section 910 of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and modified risk product applications received under section 911 of such Act, and the number of applications acted on under each category; and

(4) data on the number of full time equivalents engaged in implementing this division.

(b) GAO Report.--Not later than 5 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Comptroller General of the United States shall conduct a study of, and submit to the Committees described in subsection (a) a report concerning--

(1) the adequacy of the authority and resources provided to the Secretary of Health and Human Services for this division to carry out its goals and purposes; and

(2) any recommendations for strengthening that authority to more effectively protect the public health with respect to the manufacture, marketing, and distribution of tobacco products.

(c) Public Availability.--The Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Comptroller General of the United States, respectively, shall make the reports required under subsection (a) and (b) available to the public, including by posting such reports on the respective Internet websites of the Food and Drug Administration and the Government Accountability Office.

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
Honestly I don't think it would matter if we could show 1 million vapers would go back to smoking. This is about money, not health. I'm at a loss for how we can fight them. Facts and science won't sway them. Unfortunately I think physical protests are the least we should do. Also, since this is about money, if there was some way we could threaten their money supply...

ElectricalSocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Houston
Oh gotcha. The survey ECF just did had that as a question. Although I'm not sure we can threaten them with 'we'll go back to smoking' if BT or BP has anything to do with this. They would love that. What would freak them out, is if we said 'we'll all just quit and encourage everyone we know to do the same, {MODERATED} '. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
:) Just trying to play by their stated rules of 'evidence based science' and trying to make a point about the net negative 'benefit to public health on the population level'. If I can't point to anything (has the ECF study been finished and made public?), then I will put it in the personal story part of my comment. But I just feel it would be more powerful if I was able to say 'XXX number of vapers would return to smoking' instead of just telling them that I would.

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
It's the broad language of the deeming that allows the FDA to decide how much and what is included, the deeming is purposely written in the broadest language possible. The FDA can then stomp out anything they think will "harm your health" or "harm the children"

Or harm the profits of BT & BP...

Devonmoonshire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Diego, CA
OMG!!!!!!!!!! I Just posted the Difinitve List on Fox 5 news page and someone who appears by their comment to be Pro Vaping just called me an Idiot for spreading Paranoia!!! HOLY CRAP!! REALLY??? If this is the Kind of people we have fighting for us then I fear we are going to lose and lose ROYALLY. They Can't Even Read they just troll and call people out when they don't even read what is being said!!!!

Bruce Anglin If You Are On Here and Reading this then PLEASE Edit your post, you make Vapers look like a disorganized bunch of numbskulls with your comment!!!

May Whatever God/Goddess/Nothingness That You believe in have mercy on us as a species because we are going downhill FAST!!!

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
This is the only paragraph from the FDA you have to read to understand their motives:

Two researchers stated in 2011 that the “preponderance of the available evidence shows [e-cigarettes] to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products” (Ref. 41). Even if such findings are applicable to many products, e-cigarette manufacturers may vary in the quality of production, as discussed in section V.B.5. with respect to contamination with DEG, and as discussed further with respect to significant variability in nicotine content, and such variation may be dangerous. As such, given the existence of toxic chemicals in at least some e-cigarettes and the fact that most contain nicotine, FDA believes that its oversight of these products (which would occur if this deeming ruling becomes final) is appropriate for the protection of the public health.

neutrontech

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan
This is the only paragraph from the FDA you have to read to understand their motives:

Two researchers stated in 2011 that the “preponderance of the available evidence shows [e-cigarettes] to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products” (Ref. 41). Even if such findings are applicable to many products, e-cigarette manufacturers may vary in the quality of production, as discussed in section V.B.5. with respect to contamination with DEG, and as discussed further with respect to significant variability in nicotine content, and such variation may be dangerous. As such, given the existence of toxic chemicals in at least some e-cigarettes and the fact that most contain nicotine, FDA believes that its oversight of these products (which would occur if this deeming ruling becomes final) is appropriate for the protection of the public health.

Blah. I really don't need the government to protect me. I should be able to opt out of the regulations by signing a waiver or something. :)

I'd rather do my own research and make my risk choices myself.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread