FDA FDA identifies 92 events of overheating/fires/explosions from 2009 to 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
"Other common terms used within the vaping community include analog (slang for a traditional cigarette),
juice, e-juice, e-liquid, tanks, atomizers, cartomizers, clearomizers, drippers, vape pens, twists, Mods, subohm coils, mechanical Mod, PG, VG, and blast."

Someone remind me what blast was?

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
No you didn't. If the most experienced user of mech mods puts a defective battery in a mod with inadequate venting there can be a problem. Most mechs are not vented adequately.
Guess I haven't bought or made crap mods so I haven't seen the inadequate venting. But I would like to see a case where a defective battery (as in an actual battery 18650 etc. not a pouch Lipo which is a given common sense no no in a mech) was the case in an incident. In every one I have read about it is either a non mech (usually an ego knock off) that someone had in their pocket or otherwise abused by using the wrong charger, or a low sub ohm user with either a sub standard battery (fake i.e. rewrapped and sold with wrong specs) or they didn't have a clue about ohms law and went beyond a batteries true specs (or just didn't care) or didn't ohm out the 510 after installing the atty etc. User error is also transporting batteries without either an appropriate battery case or at the minimum sealing off the ends with tape or similar or packing away a mod without removing the batteries if they are removable. <= Those 2 are already FAA (and common sense) rules and have been ignored and caused the majority if not all ecig related FAA incidents. What I will agree with is that very few outside of some forum communities like ECF seems to give the proper instructions for use of a mech and battery safety. I see some things in my field (Electric) that "weekend experts" have done that make me shake my head and wonder why the place hasn't burnt down already or someone died from electrocution. Yet anyone can go to Lowe's or Home Depot etc. and purchase the materials which if improperly used can and do cause fires and deaths. (BTW, don't ask the employee there anything besides where a product is. I have heard some real bad advice given by them.) Why isn't the government doing anything about that, yet here we are with vaping being regulated out of existance? Because some just plain want to tell everyone what they can and can't do cause it is a power trip and others have been bought out by BP and BT and others are collateral damage with the incorrect information. Hell, we could have a perfect safety record and they would find some other excuse to control us and or give control to mega corporations.

PS, I was not suggesting that electrical supplies shouldn't be sold freely, just that the inherent danger is greater from user error.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Guess I haven't bought or made crap mods so I haven't seen the inadequate venting. But I would like to see a case where a defective battery (as in an actual battery 18650 etc. not a pouch Lipo which is a given common sense no no in a mech) was the case in an incident. In every one I have read about it is either a non mech (usually an ego knock off) that someone had in their pocket or otherwise abused by using the wrong charger, or a low sub ohm user with either a sub standard battery (fake i.e. rewrapped and sold with wrong specs) or they didn't have a clue about ohms law and went beyond a batteries true specs (or just didn't care) or didn't ohm out the 510 after installing the atty etc. User error is also transporting batteries without either an appropriate battery case or at the minimum sealing off the ends with tape or similar or packing away a mod without removing the batteries if they are removable. <= Those 2 are already FAA (and common sense) rules and have been ignored and caused the majority if not all ecig related FAA incidents. What I will agree with is that very few outside of some forum communities like ECF seems to give the proper instructions for use of a mech and battery safety. I see some things in my field (Electric) that "weekend experts" have done that make me shake my head and wonder why the place hasn't burnt down already or someone died from electrocution. Yet anyone can go to Lowe's or Home Depot etc. and purchase the materials which if improperly used can and do cause fires and deaths. (BTW, don't ask the employee there anything besides where a product is. I have heard some real bad advice given by them.) Why isn't the government doing anything about that, yet here we are with vaping being regulated out of existance? Because some just plain want to tell everyone what they can and can't do cause it is a power trip and others have been bought out by BP and BT and others are collateral damage with the incorrect information. Hell, we could have a perfect safety record and they would find some other excuse to control us and or give control to mega corporations.

PS, I was not suggesting that electrical supplies shouldn't be sold freely, just that the inherent danger is greater from user error.
When there is a mech mod accident the victim should stand up and admit they were responsible. When that doesn't happen it's because he was too inexperienced to accept responsiblity. The hazards of mech mods are not intuitively obvious. Specific warnings are appropriate.

Reactions: DC2

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
"Other common terms used within the vaping community include analog (slang for a traditional cigarette),
juice, e-juice, e-liquid, tanks, atomizers, cartomizers, clearomizers, drippers, vape pens, twists, Mods, subohm coils, mechanical Mod, PG, VG, and blast."

Someone remind me what blast was?
I guess there is that one vape meet/show called Vape Blast (where an actual blast took place) ...but I wouldn't call it a "common term", would you?

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Let me see, hummmm.
Yep, 92 incidents in 7 years worth of reports. Yep Prohibition is the only answer. Remember Save The CHILDREN!!!!
OMG! Your Tax Dollars At Work!
:grr:

Since we touched on math, let try....... Hhmmm 92 incidents,,,, how many vapors, times how many ecigs, ok im lost but you get the point. They would laugh if we could figure out the percentage. Not enough zeroes to even come up with a percentage. This is as bad as the eliquid reports for poison control. Om my gosh the children. Save the children and throw the adults off a cliff.0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% ugh

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Not to play ANTZ or anything, but I would have to bet the number is much higher than reported. I know of a half dozen personally and I don't know that many vapors really. Still, a heck of a lot safer than smoking related accidents.
I think the same, that accidents are underreported (not that that's a bad thing). I know somebody who pulled the loose battery in the pocket routine and paid the price. If I know someone, there has to be a bunch of 'em.

Edit: Do you know what's worse than having an 18650 vent in your pocket? Having TWO vent in your pocket. Spectacular!

Last edited:

vlodato

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
New Jersey
FDA identifies 92 events of vapor products (i.e. batteries) overheating, causing fire or exploding in the US from 2009 through September 2015 (including 50 events that were reported in the news media), identifies 47 mostly minor injuries, number of events peaked at 36 in 2013 (although 24 events were identified in first nine months of 2015).
Electronic nicotine delivery systems: overheating, fires and explosions -- Rudy and Durmowicz -- Tobacco Control

Year Events
2009 1
2010 0
2011 1
2012 5
2013 36
2014 25
2015 24

I requested the full text version from the author, and she sent it to me.

Of the 92 cases, at least 11 were overheated products (that didn't cause any fire or explosion).

The majority of those are the equivalent of me lighting a cigarette then putting it out in my eyeball and claim cigarettes can lead to blindness....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
It would be interesting to know how many house or other building fires were caused by smoking during those years. Also, how many forest fires attributed to smoking? Trying to put things in perspective here..

92 events in 6 years. Ask the FDA to show how many people died of smoking analogs in the same time period!

"Old news" but just ran across this by Brad Rodu... not sure if posted elsewhere but it tends to answer the questions above - (from June 1 - perhaps Brad read this thread :- )

Tobacco Truth: E-Cigarette Battery Hazards Minuscule and Overblown

Breathless reports of e-cigarette battery explosions have appeared recently in the Journal of the American Dental Association (here) and Cornea (here). The latter article, alluding to a “number of media reports,” claimed that “e-cigarettes pose a significant public health risk.”

US%2BFires%2BFrom%2BSmoking%2B2004-13.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread