E-cig explosion and burn injury hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
"Based on the analysis of data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the results showed that between 2015 and 2017 an estimated 2,035 e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries presented to U.S. hospitals.

That is more than 40 times the number of injuries reported by the FDA from 2009 to 2015, and 15 times higher than the number of injuries reported by the U.S. Fire Administration from 2009 to 2016..."

"Almost all the injuries were burns (97%, 95% CI 93%-100%), and the majority of injuries occurred on the upper leg (61%, 95% CI 45%-77%), followed by the hand/fingers (25%, 95% CI 9%-42%)."

Study: E-Cigarette Injuries Drastically Underestimated

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
"Based on the analysis of data from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the results showed that between 2015 and 2017 an estimated 2,035 e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries presented to U.S. hospitals.

That is more than 40 times the number of injuries reported by the FDA from 2009 to 2015, and 15 times higher than the number of injuries reported by the U.S. Fire Administration from 2009 to 2016..."

"Almost all the injuries were burns (97%, 95% CI 93%-100%), and the majority of injuries occurred on the upper leg (61%, 95% CI 45%-77%), followed by the hand/fingers (25%, 95% CI 9%-42%)."

Study: E-Cigarette Injuries Drastically Underestimated

Not delving into the Data, but just looking at the Majority Injury individual statistic as stated.

If 61% of All Injuries occurred on the Upper Leg, then this would indicate that the e-Cigarette was Not In Use to vape when the Injury Occurred.

So one could Surmise that a Significant Amount of the occurrences could have been Easily Prevented by the user. Such as by Turning Off the e-Cigarette while carrying it. Or by Not Carrying Bare Battery Cells.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Not delving into the Data, but just looking at the Majority Injury individual statistic as stated.

If 61% of All Injuries occurred on the Upper Leg, then this would indicate that the e-Cigarette was Not In Use to vape when the Injury Occurred.

So one could Surmise that a Significant Amount of the occurrences could have been Easily Prevented by the user. Such as by Turning Off the e-Cigarette while carrying it. Or by Not Carrying Bare Battery Cells.
Exactly.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
But that's a lie, because the vast majority of those fires are caused by drunks. And they are especially likely to die in those fires because they pass out and are unarousable.
Drunks don't set fires unless they are smoking cigarettes as far as I know.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Drunks don't set fires unless they are smoking cigarettes as far as I know.
Well there was a period in the 80’s when Reagan kicked all the mentally ill people in the govt mental hospitals onto the street as a “money saving” measure. They wound up moving into unfinished construction and attempting to light fires to stay warm. Billions in damages. Didn’t last long though because in a year and a half most of them were dead.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
Well there was a period in the 80’s when Reagan kicked all the mentally ill people in the govt mental hospitals onto the street as a “money saving” measure. They wound up moving into unfinished construction and attempting to light fires to stay warm. Billions in damages. Didn’t last long though because in a year and a half most of them were dead.
I meant spontaneously combust. I think I missed her point.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Perhaps those numbers (if they are accurate) reflect the increase in the number of vapers.

ySWpv5V.png

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Alcohol is a liquid. Sometimes a flammable one, too. Also, not all house fires are caused by drunkenness my husband managed to set one with a poorly extinguished cigarette that went under the house, and he has been sober 21 years.

Equally, to fail to HOLD a lit cigarette up as a starter of a fire by saying it does not count because the smoker was DRUNK is about as specious as saying a cigarette was NOT the cause of a fire and a death because the smoker was an imbecile and "failed to heed" the smoke alarm thinking it was not a big deal.

I sort of think that when you choose an action you "sign on" to all of its consequences up to and including DEATH by fire, it's not the CIGARETTE's FAULT you were drunk, it did not make you PICK UP that bottle and drink it.

Logical trash and I'm sober actually, and I note that when cops arrest people for killing others for driving drunk, they don't say, "Don't worry, it was really the ALCOHOL's fault, this wouldn't happen if you had been sober," and let the person go. That is not how life, logic, alcohol and cigarettes and in fact the UNIVERSE works. Sorry.

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Alcohol is a liquid. Sometimes a flammable one, too. Also, not all house fires are caused by drunkenness my husband managed to set one with a poorly extinguished cigarette that went under the house, and he has been sober 21 years.

Equally, to fail to HOLD a lit cigarette up as a starter of a fire by saying it does not count because the smoker was DRUNK is about as specious as saying a cigarette was NOT the cause of a fire and a death because the smoker was an imbecile and "failed to heed" the smoke alarm thinking it was not a big deal.

I sort of think that when you choose an action you "sign on" to all of its consequences up to and including DEATH by fire, it's not the CIGARETTE's FAULT you were drunk, it did not make you PICK UP that bottle and drink it.

Logical trash and I'm sober actually, and I note that when cops arrest people for killing others for driving drunk, they don't say, "Don't worry, it was really the ALCOHOL's fault, this wouldn't happen if you had been sober," and let the person go. That is not how life, logic, alcohol and cigarettes and in fact the UNIVERSE works. Sorry.

Anna
Well, I think that blaming the cigarette for a drunk's house fire makes as little sense as blaming a car for a drunk-driving crash. I think it's the fault of the impaired operator, with alcohol as the cause of impairment in these and a multitude of other problems.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco

But since he closed those hospitals, there is a fresh supply of them regularly

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Why do you know this much about drunks? And fires?

It's kind of freaking me out frankly and I ASLO remain super grateful to my Creator from keeping me from any sort of "pass out with a lit cigarette situation" and I also like NEVER even one time put a can of beans in a microwave drunk, nor have I like, accidentally left food on the stove. My drunken sins were many, but they didn't include oh, rampant STUPIDITY but I guess, I was cooking for my family since I was 12 and my mom was sick.

I think you know a lot about low IQ drunks. Wet brains. Something.

I STILL BLAME THE DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!! Just as I blamed Myself when I did really dumb stuff drunk, I didn't blame the alcohol! Alcohol NEVER once made me do anything I did not already want to do! And when I got in trouble, I wasn't like, "Ossiff3er it was dee liquer dat made me do it."

This argument has some consistency but I remain totally confused as to why you are making it.

I also think you might need Al-anon but I don't actually know it. You might have a weird thing about pyro drunks, not actually be related to one. But, it's strange, strange indeed.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I think that blaming the cigarette for a drunk's house fire makes as little sense as blaming a car for a drunk-driving crash.

I think you missed my point. I blamed NEITHER ALCOHOL nor the CIGARETTE I merely stated that the cigarette caused the fire regardless of the state of the OPERATOR.

It is OBVIOUSLY the fault of the operator, not the cigarette. As far as I know there are not yet sentient self-lighting cigarettes.

I merely disagree about root cause but I think that to have to STATE it was the human being doing it is a bit... creepy. But if you'd like that to be said.

Of COURSE it was the sentient thing that caused the fire and sure, maybe alcohol was involved but in 100% OF CIGARETTE FIRES that I know of, a lit cigarette was involved.

Anna

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
This was just reported on the local news: Man burned by exploding vape pen batteries

"Three lithium batteries from my vape -- my extra batteries -- blew up in my pocket and lit on fire. It scorched my leg completely,"

Any bets that they weren't safely stored in a case?

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
This was just reported on the local news: Man burned by exploding vape pen batteries

"Three lithium batteries from my vape -- my extra batteries -- blew up in my pocket and lit on fire. It scorched my leg completely,"

Any bets that they weren't safely stored in a case?
Given the way one was melted onto his pocket, it’s pretty clear there was no case.

I was about to post the same video from our local ABC affiliate. Yet another dumb*** carrying spare 18650s loose in his pocket. You’d think everyone would know not to do that by now. (Duh #1.)

You’d also think that a real reporter would get the other side of the story. Pretty easy to make a visit to a vape shop and talk to the proprietor, show him/her the photos and ask his opinion. (Duh #2.).

I gotta note an irony here. Personally, I may never have switched to mods with replaceable batteries but for the uncertainties posed by the impending FDA regulations. I was pretty much satisfied at the time with my internal battery iSticks, but batteries die and I thought that I should protect myself in case I couldn’t get internal battery mods in the future.

Ok. Gettin’ off my soapbox now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread