Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Well it’s not totally untrue. The puppet stuff in the USA was actually untrue.
They don’t mention of course that it is a stick that points both ways. Teens who are likely to start smoking are the same teens who vape. Doesn’t change the fact that vaping is safer than smoking.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I want the statistics to prove it, can't see people vaping flavors want to switch to just tabacco and stinking of smoke, so call bologna.
I would tend to agree. The thing I notice is they don’t say how much more, so the number is probably infintessamally small. The standard lie by omission.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Still need to figure out how to do the strike thru type thing. That would be handy.
By hand: [s] and [/s] should produce: and

Or you can do this:

1SPwXLp.png

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Following the American trope that characters with British accents are evil....
As an American I’ve never seen that trope. The is the occasional British accent villain in films but more often they’re protagonists. Slovanic accents (because a real Russian accent for some reason didn’t work as well) yes, but that was mostly a Cold War thing.

Seems more like something subjective. The more common hero role doesn’t register, but the occasional villain does. Or you’re being shown limited examples and being told it is the case for indoctrination purposes.

The only British accent trope I know of is Cornish and pirates. Rupert Murdoch has something of a British accent though he’s actually Australian. He’s a much feared figure and considered something of a political puppet master. There have been several villains based on him and you might be picking that up.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It is a thing and there are literally hundreds of examples. No I don't have a comprehensive list, but have a look at this google search. I've seen several explanations but personally I think it's mostly due to you being ex-colonials.
There are several comprehensive lists in the google search. They’re digging a bit deep. The robin hood example is a bit odd because it takes place in Britain. Having a villain with a non US accent is easier though and British is the easiest one to get ahold of. There really isn’t a Canadian accent or it might be that. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mexican accents also have the same issue. The pirate thing is somewhat fair. It happened because there was an actor who played a lot of pirates and happened to come from cornwal. Same with star wars. The actor who played Darth Vader was British. What it comes down to I think is there are really a lot of British actors in American film. Some of them are going to play Villains. It may explain why a lot of modern British actors have such good put on American accents though. Something that’s visible in Britain but not the US. I wonder if the reverse is true in British film. An American accent would be a handy “foreign” accent that is easily for a casting director to find. Not uncommon in Kung fu movies either, which are generally Chinese in origin. The white guy is usually a heavy. General behavior perhaps which is not as visible from the inside. Xenophobia is a handy tool and fairly universal.

UPDATE:
Right after I wrote this I watched a late night bit on trump trying to create racially segregated teams on reality tv shows. I think it is obvious at this point that the issues of racism in the US are much less controlled than Americans like to think they are, and by defense of “everyone does it” is neither an excuse or even proven. Even if it is provable though that doesn’t make it OK.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: rosawalton

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I hear and appreciate what your'e saying, but I also still feel confident in what I'm saying as well.
Anyway I was making fun of the video in the OP because they they clearly don't want you to think the guy is evil.
Oh the google thing more than proved that it occurs. I remember watching that Disney Robin Hood thing as a child and wondering why robin had an American accent. The why is what confuses me. The “dark and dangerous” aspect of Eastern European and German accents still exists, but despite the obvious movement British accents in general have never held that character. There were always British protagonists around to balance it. The Cornish thing sort of makes sense. It’s rarely heard in the US so if the only time it’s heard is from the mouths of pirates it’s reasonable for it to become a thing. I’m wondering if or how out of date the English accent thing is. James Bond finally developed an English accent, though for many years the character was played by Americans.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
James Bond finally developed an English accent, though for many years the character was played by Americans.
Eh?
Sean Connery: Scottish
David Niven: English
Roger Moore: English
George Lazenby: Australian
Timothy Dalton: English
Pierce Brosnan: Irish
Daniel Craig: English​
Where's the American?

Sorry for hijacking your post @Rossum
Seems to be the way of the forum these days. :rolleyes:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I assume you are trying to wind me up. George Lazenby was Australian and the rest were all British?

Sorry for hijacking your post @Rossum
We’re they? You may be right. I generally don’t try to wind people up. I generally only make snarky remarks at all if I figure that both the thread is dead and the OP has stopped following. That sort of sarcasm is honestly quite beyond me. I was thinking Rodger Moore was American, but looking at his bio clearly he wasn’t.

I was remembering an article claiming that they were “finally” using British actors to play British roles and the most iconic one was 007. My mind must have made an inappropriate jump.

Reactions: bask

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Eh?
Sean Connery: Scottish
David Niven: English
Roger Moore: English
George Lazenby: Australian
Timothy Dalton: English
Pierce Brosnan: Irish
Daniel Craig: English​
Where's the American?

Seems to be the way of the forum these days. :rolleyes:
My fault too. It seems more than a couple of these forum digressions are my fault where I reply to something, stick my foot in it, and wind up having to do a whole lot of back peddling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread