Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
The agency also sent a letter to the Electronic Cigarette Assn. outlining the procedures that must be followed to obtain marketing approval for products making medical claims and urging its members to work with the agency to obtain such approval.

The letter was addressed to Matt Salmon, president of the association. In a telephone interview, however, Salmon said that he resigned nine months ago and that, as far as he knows, the group has disbanded.

E-cigs: E-cigarette companies get FDA warning - latimes.com

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
From the LA Times article"

The companies have 15 days to respond, after which "we will evaluate what to do," Levy said.

The agency also sent a letter to the Electronic Cigarette Assn. outlining the procedures that must be followed to obtain marketing approval for products making medical claims and urging its members to work with the agency to obtain such approval.

The letter was addressed to Matt Salmon, president of the association. In a telephone interview, however, Salmon said that he resigned nine months ago and that, as far as he knows, the group has disbanded.

Bradyo

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
FLORI-DUHH
I guess it's going to be an FDA free for all on E-CIGS. I for one am not suprised these are not already banned or soon to be outlawed,put on the list with the likes of coke,maryjane,opiads and all other hard drugs out there. I for one think this is totally crazy myself but once our so called government get's hold of it they run every negative ad or so called drug delivery system as they call it to get it banned or pulled from shelves just to make it that much harder for us to get is what is going to happen,and from there without notice ban this ever beloved E-CIG without us even knowing.I think it will happen just as fast as they pulled all the flavored cigarettes from shelves and that was big tobbaco they did that to just think e-cigs stand no chance against our one sided government,not to sound negative but that is my two cents on the topic....

TheLordWinter

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2010
Detroit, MI
Here's what I don't get, if you look at the ECA's articles section, they have all these articles listed that tout the ability of PV's to aid the user in quitting smoking. If these things aren't supposed to be marketed as stop smoking aids, WHAT IN BLAZES IS THE ECA DOING BY ADVERTISING ARTICLES THAT SAY THEY DO????? Can't they see that they are cutting their own throats?

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Disbanded huh?

Great.

Wow without some kind of association representing us, the FDA can have a field day, because they can go after the bigger companies first and then the smaller ones will start to fold under pressure. I really DO NOT want to go back to smoking analogs EVER, I would rather use Snus if I have too, hope that day never comes though.

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
I guess it's going to be an FDA free for all on E-CIGS. I for one am not suprised these are not already banned or soon to be outlawed,put on the list with the likes of coke,maryjane,opiads and all other hard drugs out there. I for one think this is totally crazy myself but once our so called government get's hold of it they run every negative ad or so called drug delivery system as they call it to get it banned or pulled from shelves just to make it that much harder for us to get is what is going to happen,and from there without notice ban this ever beloved E-CIG without us even knowing.I think it will happen just as fast as they pulled all the flavored cigarettes from shelves and that was big tobbaco they did that to just think e-cigs stand no chance against our one sided government,not to sound negative but that is my two cents on the topic....

This "Drug Delivery system" thing really bugs me. I mean is Coffee a drug delivery system because it contains caffeine, which is just as legal as Nicotine?? What about all those Monster type drinks and red bull. Nicotine in and of itself is not much more harmful if at all then caffeine and most doctors will tell you that.

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
Disbanded?

I wonder where all the money paid by the members(membership fees, contributions, etc...) went????

Well that's about par for the course in this industry. If the manufacturers/suppliers aren't willing to do the right thing and legitimize, why should anyone expect the Industry's activist organization to do likewise.

I think the writing's on the wall. Hopefully, those suppliers/manufacturers with some integrity will get to work(it's about time), cooperate with the FDA, and start cleaning their own house. Otherwise, I can't see this industry lasting much longer in it's current incarnation.

Last edited:

Teo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Appleton, WI
Originally Posted by YOPP!
I read the article in the journal this afternoon and it's got me pondering some 'what ifs?'. What if they do manage to get an outright ban on PV's/E-cigs next month? It's a scary thought, especially considering I've completely given up the analogs for the vape alternative.

Would all of these suppliers websites dissappear overnight? Would we be ready for such an action? Would we resort to making our own brew? Is the underground network of vapers already poised for such drastic measures? All of these questions.

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I have lived long enough to know that the Gov't. loves to slap a sin tax on anything us humans really enjoy doing. It wouldn't surprise me to see some sort of "appeasement play" instead of an outright ban.

The FDA gets to regulate any materials that contain nicotine, and also initiate some sort of regulatory fees along with that service (read, sin tax).

We are all mesmerized like deer in the headlights because we're spared our precious vapor, meanwhile the FDA with it's big shotgun is poised outside our peripheral to tax our e-juice right through the roof.

Phillip Morris is front and center in the audience, cackling like a little school girl.

I know some of this may seem far fetched, and maybe (probably) it is. I guess only time will tell.

All of what you speak about was already tried and trued in 1768! Which resulted in our Independence in 1776! Our government or ANY government is ONLY as dictatorial as "We The People" allow it to be!

So it IS up to Us, "We The People" to decide WHAT "WE" WANT!----------------NOT WHAT they think is best for us!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Wow without some kind of association representing us, the FDA can have a field day, because they can go after the bigger companies first and then the smaller ones will start to fold under pressure. I really DO NOT want to go back to smoking analogs EVER, I would rather use Snus if I have too, hope that day never comes though.
Join CASAA. This consumer group is very active and we need all the help we can get.Click the IVAQS Project link on the CASAA website and donate whatever you are able to donate. Every ecig user needs to help.

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
I guess, my response to this whole thread... is this:

YouTube - Commentary on FDA letters to Juice Vendors 9/13/2010

I liked your video. A critique though, was kinda drawn out and monotone, which makes it hard to watch for 11.45 minutes. I have a very small attention span, as do many people I am sure. All that said you made excellent points that should be listened too by the community.

I do want to mention this though. It's not just our community that causes the hysteria and hyperbole. I was at work the day after the letter and using my E-cig and one of the smokers said to me "You know they are banning those things" So the general public is under the impression that e-cigs are on the way out, which is bad for the E-cig industry as people who might buy them are afraid. I am certain that's the Idea the FDA wants to get across.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I was quite taken back when I read a post by one of the ECF eLiquid vendors that stated he went from 300 customers in November to 6000 today and from doing everything himself to having 6 employees. I imagine the other vendors have similar numbers. They're making a small fortune off of ECF members so where are they in this fight? Where are their donations? Where is their voice (other than the few we've seen lately)? They should be the major investors in this cause!

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I was quite taken back when I read a post by one of the ECF eLiquid vendors that stated he went from 300 customers in November to 6000 today and from doing everything himself to having 6 employees. I imagine the other vendors have similar numbers. They're making a small fortune off of ECF members so where are they in this fight? Where are their donations? Where is their voice (other than the few we've seen lately)? They should be the major investors in this cause!

Cignot made a $10,000 donation to one of our orgs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread