Fda news release

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIllustratedMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Upstate, NY
Nate - All very good points that I cannot dispute. This is definitely a war over semantics. It is somewhat of a shame that the tobacco bill did not go the extra step to define nicotine in an existing category or possibly even a new.

Jo-

Thank you for the acknowledgement that there are valid reasons for concern, especially in the coming weeks. If you are unable to address my concerns, could you pass them on to others at the ECA? Maybe they can weigh in on this?

-Nate

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Do you have a link or something? You're being pretty vague here.

If I could find it I would post the link my freind--it is right in one of the FDA threads and it would not be right for me to call out who stated it--but they did and they would know--I would hope. It stated that the report would be released on the Wendsday following the FDA's release of their results and it was in answer to my question whether or not NJOY or SE had any tests to refute the FDA's findings.

Sun

Our House

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
NJ, USA
If I could find it I would post the link my freind--it is right in one of the FDA threads and it would not be right for me to call out who stated it--but they did and they would know--I would hope. It stated that the report would be released on the Wendsday following the FDA's release of their results and it was in answer to my question whether or not NJOY or SE had any tests to refute the FDA's findings.

Sun
It looks like this (what used to be posted on the header of their website) statement is probably what you are referring to:

NJOY said:
FDA's STUDY DESIGN HAS OMISSIONS AND SCIENTIFIC INCONSISTENCIES

Phoenix, (July 24, 2009) "We at NJOY are having independent third party analytical and toxicology experts conduct a scientific analysis in response to the FDA's 'Evaluation of e-Cigarettes.' The preliminary results of this analysis indicate that the study itself does not confirm a risk to health from using NJOY's products, and identifies very low levels of constituents that are found in FDA approved products themselves. In addition, there are omissions with respect to the FDA's study design and scientific inconsistencies and potentially misleading omissions with regards to FDA's qualitative (rather than quantitative) presentation of the study results. We are continuing to work with the experts to finalize the review and expect to have more information available on Wednesday, July 29th."
(emphasis mine)

I don't see a claim that they, or that the Exponent independent study, found NJOY products to completely clean. Maybe safe enough to not pose a health risk, but certainly not "clean as a whistle."

If you're referring to a different NJOY statement than the one made above, I'd love to see it.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Sun is correct that nJoy did do it's own study regarding their products and the findings were to be very positive, clean. They were supposed to release it last Wednesday, however, they came out with a review of the FDA study instead.

The only thing I can come up with is that their lawyers have withheld it due to current litigation. Who knows... but I will certainly follow up and ask.

One thing to also remember is that the FDA report was done at levels that would not necessarily be done by anyone when studying the toxicity of products within a cigarette or an NRT. There would be no need as ppm would pick up whatever would need to be seen. The FDA report was done in ppb instead of ppm which is what testing is usually done in. This could be another reason the study was withheld. This is only my speculation.

It is extremely possible that the toxicity report done by the third party lab on nJoy's behalf was done in ppm, and the report could very well have been "clean as a whistle". As I have not actually seen the report this is only my assumption.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
It looks like this (what used to be posted on the header of their website) statement is probably what you are referring to:

(emphasis mine)

I don't see a claim that they, or that the Exponent independent study, found NJOY products to completely clean. Maybe safe enough to not pose a health risk, but certainly not "clean as a whistle."

If you're referring to a different NJOY statement than the one made above, I'd love to see it.

Our House--It was a post and I can not find the damn thing. It stated that NJOY had already done a study and was going to release it and it did not contain any by-products and was going to be released. Then out of the blue comes this POST study that was done after the FDA's study. A key word search for it is not pulling it up.

Sun

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I read almost all of the messages and NJOY's release but admittedly did not memorize them. But here is my recollection of events and things said:

The FDA had a press release stating the electronic cigarettes were found to contain nitrosamines and DEG, a chemical akin to a common ingredient in antifreeze.

As we all know, the press took the bait and started spewing headlines that e-cigs contain antifreeze.

NJOY said that none of their samples included DEG.

The report NJOY subsequently released backed that claim up. None of their samples included DEG and were, therefore, "clean". However, their samples did include nitrosamines. But that was to be expected since their liquid is derived from tobacco. The point they made is the level of nitrosamines is comparable (or less than) the levels found in FDA-approved NRTs.

I do not recall NJOY ever claiming that their samples were completely clean from nitrosamines. Just DEG.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Our House--It was a post and I can not find the damn thing. It stated that NJOY had already done a study and was going to release it and it did not contain any by-products and was going to be released. Then out of the blue comes this POST study that was done after the FDA's study. A key word search for it is not pulling it up.

Sun

Sun -

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...a-press-release-7-22-repost-6.html#post439454

Posts 37-40 are our conversation... Is this what you were referring to?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I read almost all of the messages and NJOY's release but admittedly did not memorize them. But here is my recollection of events and things said:

The FDA had a press release stating the electronic cigarettes were found to contain nitrosamines and DEG, a chemical akin to a common ingredient in antifreeze.

As we all know, the press took the bait and started spewing headlines that e-cigs contain antifreeze.

NJOY said that none of their samples included DEG.

The report NJOY subsequently released backed that claim up. None of their samples included DEG and were, therefore, "clean". However, their samples did include nitrosamines. But that was to be expected since their liquid is derived from tobacco. The point they made is the level of nitrosamines is comparable (or less than) the levels found in FDA-approved NRTs.

I do not recall NJOY ever claiming that their samples were completely clean from nitrosamines. Just DEG.

Greg--the issue goes to the fact that NJOY stated that they had done one PRIOR to the FDA's--hence we all thought that NJOY was on the ball and SE was not---only to find NJOY releases a post FDA test. So where is the pre-FDA test?

Sun

Budweiser8Jr

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Ohio
It's only been a week, but I put down the analogs the minute I was able to vape and I have not looked back since....except to cut back on my vaping because of the nicotine (I cant stop :sneaky:)

Once I get my nic under control, I will be waning and smoking 0nic fluids!

I have been the same way. Smoke free since my first vape.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
What is funny to me is that propolene glycol is the solution they use in fog machines. The same ones you see at parties, dance clubs, weddings et. . . . Everyone is inhaling that at those functions. So they better ban the fog machine huh?

If one isn't careful with PG, there can be some undesirable symptoms. Johnson Creek publishes the safety sheet on PG. You will find the potential symptoms listed there. Caution is good. After all, I didn't normally light a cigarette off a gas stove burner. Some of my friends did :)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread