FDA FDA Regulations on E-liquid. Sealed or refillable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The regulations don't specify things either way. Bottom line with the regs as they currently stand is that if a product's manufacturer hasn't filed a PMTA by 8/8/18, that product can no longer be sold in the US, and if the FDA hasn't approved the PMTA within a year, the product must also be withdrawn. Since the cost of preparing a PMTA is six figures at a minimum, it's doubtful that very many will be filed, particularly since there's no guarantee that any will be approved at all. However, speculation is that a sealed, closed system has a better chance of approval than an open one that could be used with any e-liquid, or an e-liquid that could be used in any device.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
The regulations don't specify things either way. Bottom line with the regs as they currently stand is that if a product's manufacturer hasn't filed a PMTA by 8/8/18, that product can no longer be sold in the US, and if the FDA hasn't approved the PMTA within a year, the product must also be withdrawn. Since the cost of preparing a PMTA is six figures at a minimum, it's doubtful that very many will be filed, particularly since there's no guarantee that any will be approved at all. However, speculation is that a sealed, closed system has a better chance of approval than an open one that could be used with any e-liquid, or an e-liquid that could be used in any device.
THX bro
According to the FDA, whether there is still no specified regs about the maximum nicotine in the E-liquid? JUUL has already reached 50mg. OMG

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
THX bro
According to the FDA, whether there is still no specified regs about the maximum nicotine in the E-liquid? JUUL has already reached 50mg. OMG
So what? Vuse is 48, and some of NJOY's products were 45. But keep in mind that all of these are very low-power devices with a highly restrictive draw. You need that kind of nicotine level if device like those are going to be a satisfying alternative to smoking "full flavor" cigarettes. I think the FDA probably understands this and probably believes (IMO rightfully so) that tootle-puffing 50mg at 5 watts is likely safer than DL-huffing 3mg at 100+ watts.

viperyuan

Dec 27, 2016
So what? Vuse is 48, and some of NJOY's products were 45. But keep in mind that all of these are very low-power devices with a highly restrictive draw. You need that kind of nicotine level if device like those are going to be a satisfying alternative to smoking "full flavor" cigarettes. I think the FDA probably understands this and probably believes (IMO rightfully so) that tootle-puffing 50mg at 5 watts is likely safer than DL-huffing 3mg at 100+ watts.
FDA is really hesitating LOL

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
Hi, does anyone know the FDA regulations on E-liquid?Does e-liquid can be refillable or must be sealed in a container, like JUUL, and could not be opened?

THX

I believe that the deeming rule true purpose is to transfer vaping industry to Big Tobacco companies, I fear that by 2019 you'll see only closed systems and the e-cigs that use real tobacco like IQOS

A friend of mine works at PM and said that IQOS is going to be launched in Mexico. Because vaping here is in a gray area in which it is not regulated but at the same time banned by the health authorities , I guess that PM will move for a tailored regulation in which the only approved vaping products will be theirs

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I believe that the deeming rule true purpose is to transfer vaping industry to Big Tobacco companies, I fear that by 2019 you'll see only closed systems and the e-cigs that use real tobacco like IQOS

A friend of mine works at PM and said that IQOS is going to be launched in Mexico. Because vaping here is in a gray area in which it is not regulated but at the same time banned by the health authorities , I guess that PM will move for a tailored regulation in which the only approved vaping products will be theirs
BT and BG would both be happy with that solution. :mad:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Whatever the end result, it's all about money & control. The FDA, BT, BP & BG could care less about my health, your heath or the public's health. Well, there is that one guy in the back office down in the basement that cares, but he's long forgotten, much like us... :cool:
I think they took that guys red stapler away from him last week too.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
It seems to me that the Heat-not-Burn realm should be ripe for DIY modding...
Yes. It's called Vaping. :)

If the FDA approves Big Tobacco's iQOS here in the U.S. they have some serious explaining to do regarding this industry. Of course the firmware used to upgrade a device is now tobacco so what the hell do I know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread